Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2008, 19:33   #1
BHPian

Ford Ikon 1.3 Flair -- Plan to install a more effective braking system.

I've got a Ford Ikon that's almost 3 years old now.

I plan to install a more effective braking system, since the OEM braking system isn't good enough.

I don't intend to spend more than 10K to 15K for this purpose.

Please advice on the options available.

Thanks.
Old 7th December 2008, 00:41   #2
Senior - BHPian

WHy? any particular reason for the upgrade. as i feel the brakes are quite effective.

If you feel its loosing the same braking as before when it was new, just flush the brake oil and bleed, do the wheel servicing and you are on.!!
Old 8th December 2008, 08:16   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
WHy? any particular reason for the upgrade. as i feel the brakes are quite effective.

If you feel its loosing the same braking as before when it was new, just flush the brake oil and bleed, do the wheel servicing and you are on.!!
It's not as effective as many of the other cars that I've driven. I've also had some near mishaps due to the distance it needs to get to a complete stop.

This has been a complaint with many other Ikon owners. The other Ikon owners could probably note their experience (with the braking system) here?
Old 8th December 2008, 11:45   #4
BHPian

Yes, the ikon brakes are it's achilles' heels, however the braking distance has a lot to do with the stock tires, I could feel a considerable reduction in braking distance after I upgraded to Yokos.

Also, like SirAlec said, flush the brake oil and bleed, clean the brake dust and check out for worn out brake pads.
Old 9th December 2008, 14:49   #5
BHPian

Thanks.

I've seen posts about installing ABS on other posts, but haven't come across any information on replacing with more effective disc brakes on all wheels. Is this possible?

I've got MRF 175/80 R on all the wheels; what is a better option for the next set of tires?

I tend to drive at the 60 to 90 kmph range, found that the brake system is inadequate--plan to get this fixed before a mishap occurs.
Old 9th December 2008, 15:12   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by InternetUser View Post
Thanks.

I've seen posts about installing ABS on other posts, but haven't come across any information on replacing with more effective disc brakes on all wheels. Is this possible?

I've got MRF 175/80 R on all the wheels; what is a better option for the next set of tires?

I tend to drive at the 60 to 90 kmph range, found that the brake system is inadequate--plan to get this fixed before a mishap occurs.
Installing ABS is not possible on an Ikon. However after market brake pads and discs are possible. I had considered that for my ikon but the overall costs for the same and the reliability of after market parts (even if they are from reputed brands) made me drop the idea. Instead I upgraded to alloys and yoko footwear and that has made a bit of a difference as far as the overall braking distance is concerned.

185/60/R14 is the recommended upgrade for an ikon (if you are planning to upgrade your rims or alloys to 14 inchers, else stick to the original tire specs), you could get the same from michelin or Yokohoma, both are good in my opinion.
Old 9th December 2008, 19:05   #7
Team-BHP Support

InternetUser, you're still on stock tyres? How about trying out tyres with better grip before trying out other options? This should definitely help.

While i truly agree brakes could be better on the Ikon, i noticed that the 'new' Ikons have better braking during a test drive.
Old 10th December 2008, 00:37   #8
Senior - BHPian

you can use bridgestone turanza tubeless.

after market brakes are available, but are expensive.
Old 10th December 2008, 08:28   #9
BHPian

You can always check with Petes if he has options for the Ikon, his site does mention Fiesta but didn't see Ikon mentioned there, if he has options for Ikon in the tarox brake kits, it might be what you need.

Pete's Automotive Products Pvt Limited
Old 10th December 2008, 12:04   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoenthusiast View Post
You can always check with Petes if he has options for the Ikon, his site does mention Fiesta but didn't see Ikon mentioned there, if he has options for Ikon in the tarox brake kits, it might be what you need.

The Ikon we get here is actually Fiesta Mk5. Petes has mentioned Fiesta Mk3 in their list (FIESTA Mk3 1.1 - 1.3 - 1.4 - 1.8 Diesel), not sure if Mk3 was ever launched in India. Maybe it is an error, he actually meant Mk5, the only way to find out is to confirm with those guys.
Old 10th December 2008, 17:43   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astleviz View Post
The Ikon we get here is actually Fiesta Mk5. Petes has mentioned Fiesta Mk3 in their list (FIESTA Mk3 1.1 - 1.3 - 1.4 - 1.8 Diesel), not sure if Mk3 was ever launched in India. Maybe it is an error, he actually meant Mk5, the only way to find out is to confirm with those guys.
mk5 (aka ikon) with a few modifications is the first fiesta launched here. the fiesta sold in india is the mk6.

the same car was also sold in brazil (where the ROCAM-zetec engine was first developed as a variation of the already existing zetec motor) mexico and south africa.

OT: india is the only country in which the mk5 (ikon) and mk6 are being sold together side by side.
Old 10th December 2008, 17:45   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
While i truly agree brakes could be better on the Ikon, i noticed that the 'new' Ikons have better braking during a test drive.
I'd also heard that the new Ikons have better braking now. Since the old Ikon is almost the same (except for the front portion) as the new version--it's possible to install these new disc brakes / any other system on the old model? It probably might work-out better with rest of the vehicle.
Old 10th December 2008, 22:27   #13
BHPian

The reason for the ikon having a weak braking system is because the rear drum is very small in diameter.The logical soultion that I came up with is to upgrade the tyre which made a big difference.The other option is to check if we can fit fiesta disk brakes at the rear
Old 10th December 2008, 22:28   #14
Team-BHP Support

I would suggest you test drive one of the 'newer' ones, and then decide if thats all you're looking for. Then the technicalities can be explored.
Old 11th December 2008, 20:50   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoenthusiast View Post

I checked the site--they seem to have brake kits for the Fiesta listed there, but not sure whether they're compatible with the Ikon sold here. In this case it'd be risky to try a kit that wasn't specifically made for this model--since with the brakes the first failure might also be the last.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TARUL View Post
The reason for the ikon having a weak braking system is because the rear drum is very small in diameter.The logical soultion that I came up with is to upgrade the tyre which made a big difference.The other option is to check if we can fit fiesta disk brakes at the rear
I guess that I'll get the alloys and tyres upsized. What is the maximum possible up-size for the Ikon wheels? Any threads here that discuss this subject?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks