Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2010, 22:00   #1
BHPian

Esteem Headlight levelling issue

Hello all

This query was long overdue.So here it goes :

The headlights of the Esteem seem to be too0 high. When in low beam, the beam seems to bother almost every oncoming vehicle, all the time people are flashing lights to get the beam lowered. Dad can do nothing but just switch over to high beam and then again back to low, just to tell them this is the lowest height the beam can be at. The high beam's not even to be talked about, when on empty unlighted road, no road is visible, it's just the trees that get illuminated by the headlights.

We tried every possible setting on the level adjuster, with all sorts of load conditions, nothing worked. Then we got it checked at the Maruti Service Station and those lazy people seem to find no problem to be fixed.
Any suggestions people?

Now that I'm writing it down, I remember..nothing like this used to happen when the car had been bought in Gujarat. It all started about a good year after the purchase. Does this make sense? :(
Old 7th February 2010, 09:53   #2
BHPian

First check of the adjuster is working properly and those screws are not simply slipping and not moving the reflector.

If adjuster is working then check the bulbs, they are seated well in their place or not, Try using other bulb and see if it changes the beam direction or not. MASS have a adjustment chart for every model which maybe helpful.

Another reason maybe mounting points of headlight assembly are misaligned, look for bend sheet metal where the headlight assembly is fixed to chassis.
Old 7th February 2010, 10:31   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteemer View Post
Hello all

This query was long overdue.So here it goes :

The headlights of the Esteem seem to be too0 high. When in low beam, the beam seems to bother almost every oncoming vehicle, all the time people are flashing lights to get the beam lowered. Dad can do nothing but just switch over to high beam and then again back to low, just to tell them this is the lowest height the beam can be at. The high beam's not even to be talked about, when on empty unlighted road, no road is visible, it's just the trees that get illuminated by the headlights.

We tried every possible setting on the level adjuster, with all sorts of load conditions, nothing worked. Then we got it checked at the Maruti Service Station and those lazy people seem to find no problem to be fixed.
Any suggestions people?

Now that I'm writing it down, I remember..nothing like this used to happen when the car had been bought in Gujarat. It all started about a good year after the purchase. Does this make sense? :(

Does it have headlamp levellers?

Headlamps can aim high in the following cases:
  1. headlamp mounting panel bent because of a front hit
  2. original headlamp aiming was adjusted using washers - if the lamps were removed recently for some job,they would have been put back without these washers.
  3. the headlamp assembly adjustment screws are stuck/not working
  4. the rear suspension has weakened too much, so the car has "lifted"
Has the vehicle bumper been removed OR front panel been repaied recently?

From what you have described,I can only suggest washers as the most cost effective solution.Aiming of lights has to be done on an open road at night,one light at a time OR done against a wall(can send you a procedure if you are interested - pm me your e-mail ID)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks