Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2010, 14:36   #1
BHPian

New disc brakes for my 2004 corolla

My 2004 corolla needs a new set of discs, pads , calipers, because the discs are too thin (20.4 mm vs 25mm original) according to uttam toyota, noida.

can i still grind them ? because brakes are too weak now, probably due to the lines on the discs.

toyota service center gave me an estimate of 16k, all inclusive, for 4 discs along with pads and calipers.

can i go for bigger - aftermarket discs in a nearby budget ? without compromising the ABS.

Are the ABS values tuned to each disc rotor size ?
Old 7th February 2010, 15:15   #2
Senior - BHPian

Stick to stock rotor size.
You won't need large disc brakes unless you're going tarmac racing.
Plus big brake kits cost upwards of 50k from a good brand.
Old 7th February 2010, 16:03   #3
Senior - BHPian

Go for a new plates & stick to stock.
Old 7th February 2010, 16:05   #4
Senior - BHPian

amrit before buying a new set of rotors, pads and calipers check with the manufacturers specification if it has any useful life left in it, your dealer may be able to help you with the specifications in this case, also check if the runouts are out of specification, then only go for a new set. the pic shows an illustrative example of what i am referring to hope it clarifies,

Spike
Attached Thumbnails
New disc brakes for my 2004 corolla-brakes.jpg  

Old 7th February 2010, 17:11   #5
BHPian

thank you, i did check that, i was informed by uttam toyota that new discs are 25mm thick, changing limit is 23mm (which i believe is too early), anyways, my brakes are reported to be 20.4 mm thick, rear ones were also less - i dont remember the thickness exactly, but both were beyond toyota recommended width.

Local mechanics say that they can still be turned to be smoothened, but marginally. So wanted to know if some aftermarket rotors can be cheaper/ better alternatives.
Old 7th February 2010, 19:44   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by singh.amrit View Post
thank you, i did check that, i was informed by uttam toyota that new discs are 25mm thick, changing limit is 23mm (which i believe is too early), anyways, my brakes are reported to be 20.4 mm thick, rear ones were also less - i dont remember the thickness exactly, but both were beyond toyota recommended width.

Local mechanics say that they can still be turned to be smoothened, but marginally. So wanted to know if some aftermarket rotors can be cheaper/ better alternatives.
I dont think you should be looking at cheaper alternatives, at least not when it comes to safety equipment like brakes. And as Nitrous correctly says performance brake sets are expensive and not worth it unless you're a road racer.

BTW, your dealer is spot on when he says the discs need replacement at 23 mm. The disc runout is 0.05 mm. These are the specs from the Corolla service manual.

In my opinion, as it is 16K to replace the entire brake rotors/pads/caliper assembly on all 4 wheels, go for it. I think it will be money well spent and will ensure peace of mind.

Cheers!

Last edited by R2D2 : 7th February 2010 at 19:45.
Old 7th February 2010, 19:55   #7
BHPian

i agree, i got optimistic about cross drilled rotors going through prices on a US website, corolla replacement, larger ones for 22k (approx). But, this is India.
thanks guys.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks