Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2014, 12:08   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: With my 1987 Maruti 800 in the Workshop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
You need to get that car on a lift and thoroughly check for rust especially around the suspension load points. While the paint system in M800 was good but considering the age it is best done now and underbody protection renewed.

Decarbonizing the engine is a good suggestion. But also get compression tested after that.
The rust suggestion is excellent.

Decarbonizing in engine this old will make it lose a lot of compression which the gunk and carbon must be sealing. Infact an oil change at regular intervals is all that is necessary in a car.

In modern cars, all it takes is one high speed run and regular oil changes and voila, all cool. Decarbonising does more harm than good.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2014, 22:36   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: With my 1987 Maruti 800 in the Workshop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
My MRF Zigma's lasted 7 years per set in the 17 years i had my 800. I was on my 3 rd set when i sold the car with just 38K on the odo. I guess the Bridgestone would do. Any chance of getting the exterior of the car fixed as it simply looks as it had seen better days.
Thanks, its nice to know about the seven year life of your MRF Zigma tyres.As regards the exterior, I have purposely kept its factory paint till now and have been averse to getting it repainted. Lets see if I ever change my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
You need to get that car on a lift and thoroughly check for rust especially around the suspension load points. While the paint system in M800 was good but considering the age it is best done now and underbody protection renewed.

Decarbonizing the engine is a good suggestion. But also get compression tested after that.
Yes thanks, the car is due to get an underbody rust treatment. The engine was decarbonised in 2010 and the piston and ring changing and valve grinding jobs were also undertaken. It pulls four adults with no extra effort and is like any new engine now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
The rust suggestion is excellent.

Decarbonizing in engine this old will make it lose a lot of compression which the gunk and carbon must be sealing. Infact an oil change at regular intervals is all that is necessary in a car.

In modern cars, all it takes is one high speed run and regular oil changes and voila, all cool. Decarbonising does more harm than good.
Thanks, the gear and engine oils are changed every two years, though the stipulated mileage is never achieved, owing to the car being used only sparingly.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 7th October 2014 at 22:39.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks