Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2010, 20:20   #1
Senior - BHPian

Gm/Chervolet Optra Magnum Diesel Pump Failure

This is a known and reported problem by many, here at Team-BHP and other forums.

The car: Optra Magnum

Issue: You drive the car couple of kilometers till it gets warmed up, say 15-20kms and then the car stops!

Solution: Wait 15-20min till the car cools down and drive for another few kilometers! This cycle repeats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris905 View Post
Guys,
My magnum had a fuel pump failure last week and stalled amidst traffic. The service guys says its a problem with the series for 2008 magnums. They are replacing with a modified pump. So please check with your A.S.S guys and get it replaced ASAP before you plan long trips. The service guy said they have replaced 7 Optras already.

I have done 21000 Kms so far and the car rocks!
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ew-love-2.html

My friend's car which has run only 27k in two years has this issue. When reported to the service centre ( Deedi Kollam), they did say its a known issue but since hs car just crossed 2years, they cant replace the part for free. While he was waiting another Optra Magnum came in with same complaint.

What can be done now ? Should I ask him to take the issue up with people at higher level at Chevy?
Old 18th February 2010, 20:33   #2
BANNED

Clearly its a defect, and ask your friend first to contact the higher authorities.

Its the Manufacturers/Dealer's duty to inform the customers about the defective parts rather than saying 'you are coming after 2 years' of running so we can't do it for free.
If it doesn't solve the purpose Consumer Court is the only option.
Old 18th February 2010, 20:55   #3
Senior - BHPian

Right, if the part was defective then the company should have recalled the affected cars - as several manufacturers have been doing recently.

Escalating to GM should help.
Old 18th February 2010, 22:17   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
This is a known and reported problem by many, here at Team-BHP and other forums.
The car: Optra Magnum
Issue: You drive the car couple of kilometers till it gets warmed up, say 15-20kms and then the car stops!
Solution: Wait 15-20min till the car cools down and drive for another few kilometers! This cycle repeats.
Jkdas
Thanks a lot for your post
I''ve experienced this a couple of times. Whats the way to go with the dealer. Does it happen once in a blue moon or quite often with a bad pump?
Regards

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 18th February 2010 at 22:19.
Old 19th February 2010, 15:51   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Strange to hear, as the diesel pump is usually a very robust unit, with low chances of failure. I don't remember the pump failing in my Jeep @ 1.4 lakh kms (when the engine did) or even in the 137D that clocked well over 1.5 lakh kms. Amongst more modern cars, I know of a few Mercs, Indicas, Swifts and Innovas that have clocked over 1,00,000 kms and still run the factory diesel pump.

If this is a known problem with the Optra Magnum, and has a high frequency of failure, Chevy MUST replace the defective units for free. Irrespective of whether the car is in warranty or not.
Old 19th February 2010, 16:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
Jkdas
Thanks a lot for your post
I''ve experienced this a couple of times. Whats the way to go with the dealer. Does it happen once in a blue moon or quite often with a bad pump?
Regards
Seems it was for the 2008 set of cars. They have a modified pump for the newer ones.

Talk to your dealer. I have asked my friend to take it up with higher levels.
Old 19th February 2010, 17:30   #7
Senior - BHPian

GTO , these pumps are probably different compared to the inline or rotary fuel injection pumps. What with such high nozzle injection pressure now.
Jkdas I will do that and let you know how it goes. Mine a 2008 May magnum 41K milage. I didn't realise this could be a fuel pump issue like GTO says hence never bothered about it even though it has happened thrice.

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 19th February 2010 at 17:32.
Old 19th February 2010, 18:37   #8
Senior - BHPian

It appears to be a fuel pump solenoid issue. Replace the pump solenoid or the pump.
Old 16th March 2011, 10:56   #9
Team-BHP Support

Re: Gm/Chervolet Optra Magnum Diesel Pump Failure

I was doing my research on the Optra Magnum Diesel and came across various posts that mentioned:

1) 2008 cars had a Diesel fuel pump issue.
2) The issue was fixed in the 2009 version.
3) The differentiation is with a sticker on the pump. The 2008 has a Blue sticker while the 2009 has a Yellow sticker.

Just thought about posting this for the junta. What is the cost of a new Diesel pump?
Old 16th March 2011, 13:00   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
What is the cost of a new Diesel pump?
A CR diesel pump varies from a few ten of thousands to a few lakhs based on the manufacturer
Old 18th March 2011, 00:28   #11
Senior - BHPian

Was there a recall or press release from the company about the Pump then.??
Old 18th March 2011, 07:53   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Was there a recall or press release from the company about the Pump then.??
Unfortunately, there was no known recall. Although, people who complained / got stuck on the road were given a replacement in warranty. A lot of these reports are on team-bhp itself.
Old 4th June 2011, 04:36   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Seems it was for the 2008 set of cars. They have a modified pump for the newer ones.

Talk to your dealer. I have asked my friend to take it up with higher levels.

hello, I am planning to buy the optra magnum. I TD the new verna, sx4, vento and the optra magnum today and clearly the optra magnum stands out. I almost made up my mind about the purchase and saw this thread today. Have you heard of diesel pump failure only in the 2008 cars or the newer cars also have the issue?
Old 8th June 2011, 11:03   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post
hello, I am planning to buy the optra magnum. I TD the new verna, sx4, vento and the optra magnum today and clearly the optra magnum stands out. I almost made up my mind about the purchase and saw this thread today. Have you heard of diesel pump failure only in the 2008 cars or the newer cars also have the issue?
New cars have new series pumps, so no issues
Old 29th December 2011, 12:11   #15
BHPian

Mine is a Dec 2009 model, and unfortunately the diesel pump problem came up yesterday. The car failed to start again after stopping at a railway crossing, then started after almost 1 hour gap.

Had given the car to the workshop today morning, just got a call from them saying its a fuel pump issue. The guy is checking if it is covered under warranty (I am pretty sure it will be, hopefully won't have an issue here ). Also, the cost of the pump was mentioned as Rs. 23k by him.

Pretty lucky for me for it to have happened now as the car completes 2 years on the 4th of Jan!!

Apart from this, the magnum has served well. Love it to bits!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks