Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2005, 13:52   #1
BHPian

Burnt Clutch Cover assembly?

HI,

A few months ago, there was am minor problem with the release bearing of my Corsa's clutch assembly...Whenevr I would depress the clutch, it would emit a mildly jarring noise....
I took the car to the Sundaram GM authorized service center in Chennai who disassembled the clutch assembly and replaced it for a total of 6000/- :-O

Saturday night., I was driving down the ECR when all of a sudden, the gearshift refused to work....The gears would not budhe at all when I tried to change them with the engin running...the gears would however engage when the engine was switched off.....

So I took the Car to Sundaram where they tell me that the Clutch Cover asembly has burnt out completely.....
A few quick googles revelaed that the only two causes for this could be wear (highly improbable for a 30K run car) or incorrect assembly which would lead to this :

" When installing the clutch cover assembly, the cover assembly was not tightened in the proper sequence. When one retainer bolt is over tightened, the pressure applied bends the sheet metal of the cover hat assembly. When the hat is bent, the rings that the diaphragm rotate on are not parallel to the plane of rotation "

Please suggest what should I do.....I am more than highly p&%$ed off at the Sundaram workshop.....
Anyway I can bring it to General Motor's notice?
Old 19th September 2005, 14:01   #2
BANNED

you will have to change the whole clutch plate dude...and do not go to any mechanic ...its always better going to authorised dealerz...i felt something wrong with my clutch too...after modifyin my car...im gettting some strange sound whenevr i move my steering...showed it to rio he said its my power steering problem....anyways...3-4 days back..was driving my car..whenever aftrer applyin i was releasing the clutch..it wasnt coming back to its place properly...i mean it was coming slowly..as if there is some dirty heavy load on the clutch...every 10th time this thing was happening...i got scared because already after i have 1 problem and now other problem..and was confused because i feel that the day your car gives u 1 problem...you should service it completely or it will screw you for the rest of itz life...couldnt take it to the showroom because it was visarjan day...so thought ill go on monday...went for a small drive...hahahah realised that there was a chewing cum on the mat and because of that whenever i was pressing the clutch it was getting stuck to the mat and coming up slowly...hehehe....
Old 19th September 2005, 15:05   #3
BHPian

Umm..^^^ think u rmissing the point....
The last time when I got the release bearing changed, itwas at an authorized service center (Sundaram)...What I find surprising is after when they opened the Clutch assembly at 30K and the pressure plate was fine then, how did it go completely bad in a span of just 5000kms?
All I can attribute it t bad worlmanship the last time around....
Old 19th September 2005, 15:49   #4
Team-BHP Support

Workshop repairs usually have a 6 month warranty. If your assembly has burnt during that period, then sundaram has to replace it for free. If they want to charge you for it contact GM and list your case. You can also contact Autocar India, they can contact the manufacturer for you if they are uncooperative.
Old 20th September 2005, 10:24   #5
Senior - BHPian

i kinda doubt the cover was burnt, the springs might have failed and preventing the clutch from engaging it or it was probably the plate. Open up the box again and inspect the clutch, make sure they replace it with an oe one and also replace the releaser bearing too. The plate centering should be perfect for ease of installation of gear box. Torque tighten the clutch fastners according to company spec and in the right sequence. ask them to give you the old plate its kinda strange for a plate to bun so fast! unless the company is upto something... and yes if it was replaced recently take it up to the managers and ask for a replacement as the work carried out was of no use.

cheers

Last edited by Domnic : 20th September 2005 at 10:29.
Old 2nd December 2005, 18:39   #6

TVS is the worst services company India has seen, my family doctor has a Siena and the only woe he has is about the service they do. FIAT had Uno which was an awesome product, TVS screwed it up in Tamilnadu and Kerala, then came Palio which was a wholesome except for the mileage (you don't buu a 1.6 GTX for mileage anyway) and TVS were around doing what they do best, screwing things up. If only FIAT get's to learn the ropes from Maruti or Hyundai about setting about quality service centers, their after sales woes would be history, alas ......... I am still dreaming

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks