Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2010, 15:10   #1

Fiat Palio Stile 1.1 Throttle Potentiometer Sensor Issues

The enlightenment journey on automobiles has begun for me. For close to three years, I drove my Palio Stile 1.1 without bothering about anything under the hood or for that matter even inside the car. The honeymoon ended last week.

The fuel injection alarm is steadily on. The acceleration automatically revs up when I start the engine. On putting her into gear, the acceleration goes up in a big way. I took it to Malik auto near Film nagar. Sesha (from Malik) kept the car for a full day. Said something about the prolic wheel and water pump giving problems and needed to be changed. I said okay and asked him to proceed. After a couple of hours when I went to pick the car up, he said there was no change inspite of changing the prolic wheel so he didnt proceed with it.

Finally joined Team BHP and contacted New Mars after reading one of the posts. Nandu from New Mars says the throttle potentiometer sensor needs to be replaced, will take 10 days for delivery and cost 15K The car warranty ends in May but apparently does not cover electronic parts.

Any suggestions / advice from the enlightened ones?

Cheers,
Jai
Old 24th February 2010, 15:18   #2
Senior - BHPian

Jai, it would be better if you can post your query at Palio Users Group (PalioUsersIndia : PalioUsersIndia).

There a quite many Stile 1.1 owners on that forum, they'll be able to help you.
Old 24th February 2010, 15:25   #3

Finney,

Thanks. I will try that option as well. Need to get this closed asap. Using autos is not exactly a great option.

Cheers,
Jai
Old 24th February 2010, 15:33   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojorising View Post
The enlightenment journey on automobiles has begun for me. For close to three years, I drove my Palio Stile 1.1 without bothering about anything under the hood or for that matter even inside the car. The honeymoon ended last week.

The fuel injection alarm is steadily on. The acceleration automatically revs up when I start the engine. On putting her into gear, the acceleration goes up in a big way. I took it to Malik auto near Film nagar. Sesha (from Malik) kept the car for a full day. Said something about the prolic wheel and water pump giving problems and needed to be changed. I said okay and asked him to proceed. After a couple of hours when I went to pick the car up, he said there was no change inspite of changing the prolic wheel so he didnt proceed with it.

Finally joined Team BHP and contacted New Mars after reading one of the posts. Nandu from New Mars says the throttle potentiometer sensor needs to be replaced, will take 10 days for delivery and cost 15K The car warranty ends in May but apparently does not cover electronic parts.

Any suggestions / advice from the enlightened ones?

Cheers,
Jai
Dear Jai,

I own I.3 MJD & Also 1.9 D.

I have faced a similar issue in 1.9 D & the problem was acceralator was not constant but used to go up & down - & it stabilized after 30 minutes drive,

The Problem is rectified - solution was only to clean the trottle sensor.
If you want to diagnose it right- than just remove the accelerator wire from accelerator paddle as u know it is drive by wire

Than apply a little brake oil at the wire plug & see if the problem is there or not- in case problem is not there than kindly get the sensor clean & enjoy.All of this is to be performed in engine on condition.

The sensor can also be tried from open market but I feel that it unlikely sensor needs to be replaced.

Let me know in case more information is required.

Thanks
Anupam00
Old 25th February 2010, 12:46   #5

Anupam,

Thanks a ton. I am totally new to this so am not sure how to go about doing as per your suggestion. Sure would have helped if you were in Hyd. I have given the car to New Mars and it is there since two days. I am planning to give them the green signal by today to procure the sensor.

I was hoping there would be a champ IN Hyderabad whom I could talk to on phone.

Regards,
Jai
Old 25th February 2010, 17:50   #6
BHPian

PM me your number,

I give u call- no problem

Thanks & Regards
Anupam
Old 8th March 2010, 16:37   #7

The car is finally with Concorde Motors. I am awaiting the verdict any moment. I drove in during the free car checkup on Saturday. They diagnosed it as having throttle body issues which need cleaning up after which they will see if it has other problems. So the wait is on. Also, Fiat called up today asking whether my issue is resolved after I posted it to them. They are following up with Concorde too. Will update once I get the results.

Anupam, I couldnt do as you suggested as I had to run to the office for an emergency and could give the car only on this Saturday. But thanks for your advice. I have stored the number and name if Concorde doesnt work out as well. Cheers
Old 8th March 2010, 19:04   #8
CPH
BHPian

The TPS' on the 1.1/1.2MPI units are a problem. I have no idea what 1.5k relates to Sterling, but know that thew PTS, which is only a simple potentiometer is sold over here for about 11 pounds.

I would not advise trying to clean it on the 1.1/1.2 because most of the time when people try to remove them they will brake them.
Old 8th March 2010, 19:54   #9
BHPian

as said above, just get the throttle sensor checked and cleaned?

also, if TPS is actually gone, you might get it from black-market.
Honda city TPS is available for around 1-1.3k. might be bit more for fiat because of low supply, but you could check
Old 9th March 2010, 14:46   #10

They responded back to me. They say the inlet manifold has melted and the water pump is damaged along with something else. they have to submit photographs of the same to Fiat for me to get it under the extended warranty. Else the damage just for the inlet manifold is around 17K. The potentiometer sensor diagnosis was done by New Mars. I am wondering how can three people have three different diagnosis for the same car? They will let me know tomorrow on Fiat's response.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks