Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2010, 09:11   #1
BHPian

Rusting of Discs on 2 month Car - is this correct way to clean tyre-area and wipers

Hi,

I have searched for any suggestion to this problem, but could not find any titles matching my query.

The front Disks on my 2 Month (old) car have begun rusting.
Is this normal ? Due to this I have started hearing+feeling some vibration on brake pedal when braking.

I use the car 2-3 times a week only and for short distances.
Could this be because of the less usage and/or due to the way my car cleaner daily washes the car ?
He just splashes water over the alloys (and inside) and cleans over the alloy area.

Also my car cleaner cleans the wipers daily by pulling them out.
Do wipers need to be cleaned daily, and like this only ?
I feel no need to clean wipers daily like this.

Please help. I do not have much knowledge of these specific cleaning aspects of car.

Mods: If this information is already present on the forum, please delete this thread and provide me links to the information.

Last edited by cool.aquarian : 27th February 2010 at 09:12.
Old 27th February 2010, 09:33   #2
BHPian

Your car is over cleaned! Why do you get it washed everyday? please do not use water everyday to clean your car unless you go over mud and whole underbody gets covered with soil. Using water frequently is the reason of rusting. Just use dry cloth to wipe the dust off.
In short, clean less drive more and rust will be gone!
Old 27th February 2010, 09:48   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool.aquarian View Post
The front Disks on my 2 Month (old) car have begun rusting. Is this normal ? Due to this I have started hearing+feeling some vibration on brake pedal when braking.

Also my car cleaner cleans the wipers daily by pulling them out.
Do wipers need to be cleaned daily, and like this only ?
I feel no need to clean wipers daily like this.
The discs are made of cast iron/alloy and will rust when water falls on them. Happens in nearly all cars. The thin layer of rust will be scraped off when you use your brakes.

What do you mean by pulling the wipers out? You mean raising the wiper arm off the windshield? If yes, then there's no harm done. Though make sure he's careful about not letting the arm fall back on the windshield on its own. The glass could crack.

Also, do your bit towards the environment. Save water. If you use your car sparingly please dont wash it everyday.

I have the same pattern of use as you and my car is washed (by me) once in 7-10 days. If your car has a light colour paint and is kept in a garage, dust will not be visible. So your car can go for upto 1 week without a wash. My father's car is washed twice a week. And his uses his car daily for short runs in the city.

Cheers!
Old 27th February 2010, 10:53   #4
BHPian

Thanks for advice.
Right now there is light layer of rust occupying 20% of disc plate area.
The inner circumference of rust will hopefully get scraped off when I use brakes, but what about rust on outer circumference? Can I try cleaning/scraping it off using a dry cloth?

Regarding cleaning car daily, it is a common thing at my place(society) that 2-3 car cleaners clean all the cars with water every morning and are paid on monthly basis (not on the number of times they clean the car). So I hoped they know their job best.
Probably I have to provide him clear instructions to clean with water only when car is really dirty(bird droppings/mud) and wipe the rest of time with dry cloth. Also I will ask him to just clean the Alloys with a wet cloth instead of splashing water all over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
What do you mean by pulling the wipers out? You mean raising the wiper arm off the windshield? If yes, then there's no harm done. Though make sure he's careful about not letting the arm fall back on the windshield on its own. The glass could crack.
Yeah, I meant raising the wiper arm. He does it daily to clean them.
Also I noticed that the cleaner takes support of the bottom portion of raised arm to keep standing on tyre and reach the top surface of car to clean it. I really worry for the wipers whenever I see that.

Last edited by cool.aquarian : 27th February 2010 at 11:00.
Old 27th February 2010, 19:30   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for advice.
Right now there is light layer of rust occupying 20% of disc plate area.
The inner circumference of rust will hopefully get scraped off when I use brakes, but what about rust on outer circumference? Can I try cleaning/scraping it off using a dry cloth?.
Imagine yourself doing this during the rainy season. Seriously, dont worry about it.

Quote:
Probably I have to provide him clear instructions to clean with water only when car is really dirty(bird droppings/mud) and wipe the rest of time with dry cloth. Also I will ask him to just clean the Alloys with a wet cloth instead of splashing water all over it..
Wiping with a dry cloth is the best way to get micro scratches all over your car. It's the worst thing you can do to a new car's paint. Not a good idea. If he MUST clean the car have him clean it twice a week with water. I dont think the man will complain if his work is reduced from a daily chore to biweekly.

Quote:
Yeah, I meant raising the wiper arm. He does it daily to clean them. Also I noticed that the cleaner takes support of the bottom portion of raised arm to keep standing on tyre and reach the top surface of car to clean it. I really worry for the wipers whenever I see that.
That's a good way to bend the wiper arm and mess up the alignment. The wiper will either not clean the windshield properly (leave streaks) or make squeaky noises when wiping.
Old 27th February 2010, 20:44   #6
Senior - BHPian

No cause for worry, happens from the Maruti to the Merc. Enjoyyour car !

Cheers
Old 27th February 2010, 21:12   #7
BHPian

I think the reason might be 'overwashing' of the car . Simply use car cover (if you don't use) to save car from dust if your car is not used daily
Old 28th February 2010, 16:49   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Wiping with a dry cloth is the best way to get micro scratches all over your car. It's the worst thing you can do to a new car's paint. Not a good idea. If he MUST clean the car have him clean it twice a week with water.
+1 to that ; dry cleaning is good for suits,not for cars .Even once a week with water would suffice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFF-EIGHT-BEE View Post
I think the reason might be 'overwashing' of the car . Simply use car cover (if you don't use) to save car from dust if your car is not used daily
+1 to that as well - a cover would do just fine.
Old 28th February 2010, 17:28   #9
BHPian

Now I have dropped the bright idea of cleaning car with dry cloth. And car cover can also cause tiny scratches on the car.
Still, it feels relief to know that rust on disc is common if car is not used daily and can be got rid-off by driving car more.

So, should I still let my cleaner clean wheels by just splashing water on the Alloys+Disc area (he does this at the end after he's done cleaning rest of car using the left out somewhat dirty water in the bucket) ?
Or should I ask him not to touch(wet) the disc's at-all and just clean alloys with a wet cloth ?
Old 28th February 2010, 21:35   #10
BHPian

you could also smear a little bit of vaseline on the wiper blades to prevent them from cracking in the sun. too much and you'll smear the glass, so go easy on it.
About the discs - don't worry about the rust on them. It's a good idea to clean them and remove all the brake pad dust, so dry blowing with air will suffice.

Most Viewed