Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2010, 13:06   #1
BHPian

Swift clutch like butter ! (But price ?)

My Swift is just back with a clutch overhaul after 49K (3.5 years).

It's so pleasant to drive my baby now as the clutch is as light as an accelarator !!

I am bit concerned about the service charges applied by MASS. Do you guys think below list is ok ?

All prices inclusive of VAT.

Clutch Set (22011M75J01) - 2339
Clutch Overhaul labour charges - 1819

Also, I asked them to take a look at power steering system as I feel it's less power to steering for speeds below 40.

MASS has come back saying that output for the power steering system is correct so they will not touch anything. Thay have advised me to replace tyres now as they are quite old. (Stock JK)

Any suggestions - will changing the tyres will lighten the steering ??

Last edited by abhaybakshi : 27th February 2010 at 13:10.
Old 27th February 2010, 17:06   #2
BHPian

If you haven't changed your tyres yet, its certainly time to do it. 49K is almost twice as much as you should be subjecting those JK tyres to. Although it would make sense to get wider tyres (the Lxi comes with very skinny 165s.. I would upgrade to at least 185s.. my own car has 205/50/R16s), don't go for wider tyres if you feel that steering effort is too much (although I don't see why you should feel that way; maybe get it checked at another service center).

I had changed my Swift's clutch at around 25k kms. Don't remember how much I paid but I do remember that it was quite cheap.
Old 28th February 2010, 11:18   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEnd View Post
Although it would make sense to get wider tyres (the Lxi comes with very skinny 165s.. I would upgrade to at least 185s.. my own car has 205/50/R16s), don't go for wider tyres if you feel that steering effort is too much
Thanks. I do not drive hard on corners so I think it may be good to stick to stock 165. Also, going for 185 means slight reduction in mileage, which I dont think is worth compared to slightly better handling due to wider tyres. I am thinking of either JK again or MRF...which will be the better ?

Last edited by aah78 : 1st March 2010 at 04:25. Reason: Quote fixed.
Old 28th February 2010, 12:14   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhaybakshi View Post
My Swift is just back with a clutch overhaul after 49K (3.5 years).

It's so pleasant to drive my baby now as the clutch is as light as an accelarator !!

I am bit concerned about the service charges applied by MASS. Do you guys think below list is ok ?

All prices inclusive of VAT.

Clutch Set (22011M75J01) - 2339
Clutch Overhaul labour charges - 1819

Also, I asked them to take a look at power steering system as I feel it's less power to steering for speeds below 40.

MASS has come back saying that output for the power steering system is correct so they will not touch anything. Thay have advised me to replace tyres now as they are quite old. (Stock JK)

Any suggestions - will changing the tyres will lighten the steering ??
Hi,

Any particular reason why you changed the clutch so early? I believe the clutch needs to be replaced at 80k kms? Did the clutch fail of give any issues?
Old 28th February 2010, 13:42   #5
BHPian

There was no problem with the clutch except that it got hard to press. I mean not real hard but it became very tiring (and sore knees !) while driving in bumper to bumper traffic for an hour.
Old 1st March 2010, 00:31   #6
BHPian

I have driven my swift vxi 58k km on the stock clutch and my observation is that it was lousy to start of with and is still lousy. Although it shows no signs of packing up, I'm thinking of replacing it sometime before the 70k mark. But not with the MGP clutch. I've heard that the exedy stage 1 is particularly suitable.
Abhay, I'd suggest yokohama a drives. Don't waste good money on the JKs.
Old 1st March 2010, 03:08   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by theEnd View Post
Although it would make sense to get wider tyres (the Lxi comes with very skinny 165s.. I would upgrade to at least 185s.. my own car has 205/50/R16s), don't go for wider tyres if you feel that steering effort is too much
Thanks. I do not drive hard on corners so I think it may be good to stick to stock 165. Also, going for 185 means slight reduction in mileage, which I dont think is worth compared to slightly better handling due to wider tyres. I am thinking of either JK again or MRF...which will be the better ?
Between the MRF and the JK go for JK Vectras. My swift zxi has JK Vectras 185/70R14 and at an air pressure of 29psi you get the most comfortable ride at in city speeds plus good grip out on the highways. The other similar option would be Apollo Accelere but I don't think they are available in 14".

Last edited by aah78 : 1st March 2010 at 04:25. Reason: Quote fixed.
Old 1st March 2010, 14:24   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Between the MRF and the JK go for JK Vectras. My swift zxi has JK Vectras 185/70R14 and at an air pressure of 29psi you get the most comfortable ride at in city speeds plus good grip out on the highways. The other similar option would be Apollo Accelere but I don't think they are available in 14".
Thanks all. I will go for JK Vectra thie weekend. I am still in dilema about 165 or 185. Can anyone please let me know approax. how much will be the drop in mileage by using 185 ?
Old 1st March 2010, 14:30   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
I'd say there is nothing better than Michelin XM1+. it sticks pretty well, lasts decently (though not as much as the hard rubbers) and is not noisy either.
Old 1st March 2010, 14:42   #10
Senior - BHPian

Labour is too high for clutch overhaul.

Price of clutch if its a diesel its fine. Is it a diesel BTW?

ALso did you changed couple of other things along with the clutch.

If not you should have, that would have saved you labour charges in near future.
as your car is 49k kms, which is low for clutch change, but all depends upon usage right.
Old 1st March 2010, 17:17   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thay have advised me to replace tyres now as they are quite old. (Stock JK)
Am not sure how a new grippy set of tires will improve steering effort, but it is time to change the tires (49k is like almost twice its life!)

While cornering, high speed et all need a good tire, it does not mean you should not get the best just because you do not corner at high speeds.

A wider, comfort-oriented tire (read 185 profile) from Michelin (XM1+) or Yokohama (A.Drive) will improve grip and comfort. A fellow BHPian (pras.oct25) reported that changing to such a tire actually gave him a better mileage than with the stock tire / size...
Old 1st March 2010, 17:50   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Am not sure how a new grippy set of tires will improve steering effort, but it is time to change the tires (49k is like almost twice its life!)

While cornering, high speed et all need a good tire, it does not mean you should not get the best just because you do not corner at high speeds.

A wider, comfort-oriented tire (read 185 profile) from Michelin (XM1+) or Yokohama (A.Drive) will improve grip and comfort. A fellow BHPian (pras.oct25) reported that changing to such a tire actually gave him a better mileage than with the stock tire / size...
I dont know why you guys are saying 49K is twice the life of tyres like JK. These are hard tyres and should last long even in Indian conditions.
Old 1st March 2010, 18:00   #13
BHPian

Quote:
There was no problem with the clutch except that it got hard to press. I mean not real hard but it became very tiring (and sore knees !) while driving in bumper to bumper traffic for an hour.

Abhay, I am not sure if you really had issues with your clutch. Clutch becoming hard might not be a good reason to replace the clutch. It could be as simple as replacing the cutch wire (if it is not a hydraulic version). Please check the following thread for more info on the types of clutch issues and solutions.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-identify.html
Old 1st March 2010, 18:56   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElantraGT View Post
Abhay, I am not sure if you really had issues with your clutch. Clutch becoming hard might not be a good reason to replace the clutch. It could be as simple as replacing the cutch wire (if it is not a hydraulic version). Please check the following thread for more info on the types of clutch issues and solutions.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-identify.html
but I also had an issue of my Swift juddering a bit on first gear while taking off. Not always but sometimes. I think I am not cheated then ... ?

Last edited by Dippy : 2nd March 2010 at 16:13. Reason: Please avoid dotted posting like....this... Thanks
Old 2nd March 2010, 00:13   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsha.cs1 View Post
I'd say there is nothing better than Michelin XM1+. it sticks pretty well, lasts decently (though not as much as the hard rubbers) and is not noisy either.
My response was for comparison between the MRF and JK.

I get approx 13.5 KMPL on a mixed usage of city(spirited driving) + highway driving on my zxi with the 185/70 R14 JK vectras & with the auto a/c set at 24 degree Celsius all of the time.

Michelin, Yokohama, Continental etc are a different segment.

I did contemplate changing to Michelin earlier on but then got the Vectras filled up with Nitrogen and ensured that filled pressure was at 29psi. The ride has been smooth ever since. Had a life threatening situation last Saturday at a speed of 110Kmph had to brake and swerve right and then left again before straightening out to avoid a massive collision. All within a distance of say 3 car lengths. The tires came through in terms of steer-ability and regaining composure. My car is equipped with ABS+EBD so that would have had a major role to play in the episode. I am however not going to change till I wear the JK's out.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks