Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2010, 13:30   #1
BHPian

Problem Battery or Car? Confused

Hello guys, I own a Sportz i-10 - 3 months old. For last 6 days the car was lying idle, I didn't start it even once. Today morning I went to Start it & the car showed no signs of life. No engine starting, no roof light etc.

I called the *** guy, he said the battery would have been discharged. I then called the E-xide batmobile & they confirmed that battery is discharged. After asking why? they said it may be because you would have kelp a lamp or something on, or there is some wiring problem in a car.

I took the battery for charging, the battery guy checked the gravity it was fine.

Now I am confused whether battery is faulty or car wiring is a problem. I am 100% sure that I didn't leave anything on in the car. Can you please help me on what should I do and what kind of conversation I should have with the *** guy.
Old 2nd March 2010, 14:23   #2
Team-BHP Support

Have you connected any aftermarket accessory in the car, like remote lock or stereo. If so rule out any discharge through them.

Use a multimeter to determine if there is any discharge from the battery, when everything is switched off. This would help you to rule out any issues.
Old 2nd March 2010, 14:47   #3
BHPian

Yes, I have installed Autocop. You think it may be causing the discharge. Just to confirm, is it normal that a car standing 8-10 days idle, battery getting discharged when nothing is on?
Old 2nd March 2010, 14:57   #4
BHPian

NO ulhas. The car battery should not get discharged for in 8-10 days. It takes about a month's time or so to get discharged. Moreover, you car is new, the battery should not have any issues like this.

Get the wiring checked by the Hyundai guys or any good local mechanic you know. Try where the charge leak is happening.
1. Check for any lose wires touching the body of the car.
2. Check if there are wires chewed off by rats.
3. Check if the autocop installation is alright.

Question: The Autocop that you have installed is with impact sensor or without impact sensor?
Old 2nd March 2010, 15:04   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulhas.ahirrao View Post
Yes, I have installed Autocop. You think it may be causing the discharge. Just to confirm, is it normal that a car standing 8-10 days idle, battery getting discharged when nothing is on?
8-10 days idle time is not much. Unusual for a 3 month old car battery to drain completely. What make of battery is it? Exide or Amaron?

If you are sure you didnt leave any lights on when parking the car, there's possibility of a wiring issue that may have been caused during installation of your Autocop system. Get any aftermarket accessory wiring checked. Also check the battery terminals and tighten if required.

I've started my car after 3 weeks and it did so without hesitation, though I did feel the engine cranking over just a tad slowly than it normally does.

Modern low maintenance batteries can go for a max of 3 months w/o a charge in Indian conditions when stored unconnected.

When installed, after accounting for parasitic drain (normally in mA) from the engine ECU, stereo, OEM security system etc, an idle period of upto 6 weeks should not be a problem for the battery.

Rgds,
Old 2nd March 2010, 15:05   #6
BHPian

Thanks VTEK.

Quote:
Question: The Autocop that you have installed is with impact sensor or without impact sensor?
No as far as I know it doesn't have. Why?
Old 2nd March 2010, 15:06   #7
Senior - BHPian

Your car & battery are both under warranty. Let Hyundai do the problem solving instead of going around to accessory or battery guys. Either which way they have to diagnose & correct it.

If there is an issue with the accessory fitment they may want to wash their hands off, but in that case have them rectify the problem & offer to pay for it, if the cause for the battery drainage is not due to Hyundai's fault.

Cheers
Old 2nd March 2010, 15:06   #8
BHPian

Quote:
What make of battery is it? Exide or Amaron?
Its an Exide battery
Old 2nd March 2010, 15:07   #9
BHPian

Thanks ricky,

Quote:
If there is an issue with the accessory fitment they may want to wash their hands off, but in that case have them rectify the problem & offer to pay for it, if the cause for the battery drainage is not due to Hyundai's fault
Actually the showroom guys only have fitted the accessory.
Old 2nd March 2010, 15:14   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Its an Exide battery
Ok, in that case be a bit wary. OEM batteries are not exactly reliable due to their 'built to a price' quality and Exides are notoriously flaky.

Either way you shouldnt have to worry as any battery replacement will be covered under warranty which is either 6 or 12 months depending on your car mfr.

Since the batt has now been charged fully keep a close watch on its performance for the next few days.

Cheers!
Old 2nd March 2010, 15:18   #11
BHPian

thanks guys, so should I keep the car idle to test the battery or? how to go about it?
Old 2nd March 2010, 17:14   #12
Senior - BHPian

Dude, you can keep your car idle and check but thats gonna take time until you find out. Also, discharging the battery below say 80% is never a good idea. What you really need to do is a leak test. If you don't know how, or don't have a ammeter, you can get it done at a good batt dealer in just a few mins.
Old 2nd March 2010, 22:03   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
thanks guys, so should I keep the car idle to test the battery or? how to go about it?
If you need a quick test, do as follows; if you have been using the car, turn off the engine, and switch on your headlamps for about 3-5 minutes to remove what is called the surface charge. Removing this charge is an important step and the engine must be at operating temperature.

After removing the surface charge, crank the engine. If the headlights go out completely i.e. literally extinguish you may have a problem. If the lights just dim when the starter is cranking but remain lit then the battery is ok.

For fool proof testing, take the car to a battery dealer and have him perform a load test followed by a gravity and voltage test.

It is important for you to eliminate any short circuit or fault in the wiring system otherwise even a perfectly healthy battery will drain overnight.

Cheers!
Old 2nd March 2010, 22:41   #14
Team-BHP Support

No even if you have autocop, unless you have a leakage or the sirens blaring for the whole week, battery shouldn't discharge. A simple multimeter test would give you an idea if there is an actual leak.

Reg battery- testing units are available at dealerships and you can get it checked to rule out the issue.
Old 3rd March 2010, 12:29   #15
BHPian

@ all, Thanks a lot. Its clear now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks