Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2010, 20:45   #1
Senior - BHPian

Horn Switch connection issue

My horn has been starting to die out on me now and then. I first thought it was due to the contacts of the switch, but today I took the horn pad out, and the horn was not working , even when I made contact. I checked the connector to the base of the steering. and then I noticed that the horn started working when i moved the wheel.

I think its safe to assume that the contact at the base of the steering wheel ( google tells me its a horn contact ring?) is at fault.

Now whattodo? Replace it? will it be easy to find? or just press/lubricate will do? The car in question is an indica.

This is kind of a priority as a semi functional horn is quite risky on indian roads

Last edited by greenhorn : 2nd March 2010 at 20:47.
Old 2nd March 2010, 20:57   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Remove the steering wheel and clean the contact ring(on the wheel ) and the contact pins(on the column);DO NOT LUBRICATE with anything except WD40/Zorrik.
Old 2nd March 2010, 21:01   #3
Senior - BHPian

the central bolt looks kinda intimidating. I've got WD 40 though. will ask my workshop folks to take care of it. The TASC has already washed hands saying that the whole thing needs to be replaced :|
Old 2nd March 2010, 21:02   #4
BHPian

Did you check the actual connection at the horn (where the -ve and +ve wires clip onto the horn)? I have had problems once because of a bad connection there.
Old 2nd March 2010, 21:16   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
the central bolt looks kinda intimidating. I've got WD 40 though. will ask my workshop folks to take care of it. The TASC has already washed hands saying that the whole thing needs to be replaced :|
I suspect the contact pins to be the culprit;and the center nut can be removed without too much fuss.I have done this umpteen times.once the nut is removed,you need to bang the steering wheel a few times on all sides before pulling it out
Old 2nd March 2010, 22:50   #6
Senior - BHPian

crackedhead, i have two horns , both have the same problem
Old 2nd March 2010, 22:58   #7
Team-BHP Support

Remove steering, clean the ring and terminals, check if they are set right also and fix back. If the terminal got bent by cleaning cloth and is not sitting proper, this can happen, from experience
Old 3rd March 2010, 23:34   #8
BHPian

It could also be due to a faulty relay. You horn switch is not normally connected to the horns directly but through a relay.
On the indica - I know this is a known problem.
The contact ring and stuff is easy to remove IMHO, but rather difficult to put back!
a local electrician could help and replacing the whole thing would be rather costly.
one the reasons I see so many TATA vehicles with "add-on" horn switches somewhere drilled and mounted on the dash.
Old 4th March 2010, 12:30   #9
Senior - BHPian

thanks otto, thought that this was a fault of the ring because it would not work at certain positions. Will try swapping out the relay anyway. getting to the fusebox in the indica is a pain :(
Old 4th March 2010, 19:04   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
thanks otto, thought that this was a fault of the ring because it would not work at certain positions. Will try swapping out the relay anyway. getting to the fusebox in the indica is a pain :(
it just might be and probably is, but unless you're sure that the horn activates only at one point, checking the relay is an easier option, before you go ahead and tear apart your steering wheel.

good luck though, knowing that is the contact ring that's at fault for sure, you're seriously going to need it.
Old 10th March 2017, 19:54   #11
Senior - BHPian

Re: Horn Switch connection issue

I am facing similar problem in our Xylo E8 ABS 2009.

The Black Plastic Part that sits between Steering Wheel and Aluminum Ring (means the Black Plastic Part to which the Aluminum Ring is stuck) got bent 4-5 years ago due to using Puller to remove Steering Wheel at an Wheel Alignment Centre.
Since then the Horn use to Blow at certain angles of Steering Wheel. Sometimes it might Blow when the Steering Wheel is Straight, sometimes when rotated slightly towards left or right.

I used it like that till date as I didn't want to replace the Whole Steering Wheel.
But now due to Very Intelligent People wandering on road, I am finding it difficult to use the Horn in this condition.

I have posted the Photos so as to identify the problem.Horn Switch connection issue-img_20170307_135059.jpg
This is Bottom View of Steering Wheel before removing the Black Plastic Part. The Part is below the Aluminum Ring in this picture.
Horn Switch connection issue-img_20170307_153740.jpg
After removing these Screws highlighted in Green Boxes, the Black Plastic Part seperates from Steering Wheel.
Horn Switch connection issue-img_20170307_135309.jpg
After removing the Black Plastic Part from Steering Wheel.

Horn Switch connection issue-img_20170307_135156.jpg
Here (highlighted with Red Boxes) the Screws fix this part to the Steering Wheel, and the part highlighted with Green Box, the Negative Wire of Horn fits here.

Horn Switch connection issue-img_20170307_135208.jpg

Horn Switch connection issue-img_20170307_135218.jpg

Horn Switch connection issue-img_20170307_135234.jpg

I have searched in local market, but I am unable to source the Black Part.

I don't want to replace complete steering wheel. I just want that Black Plastic. I am ready to buy even if the Aluminum Ring comes with that Black Plastic Part.
Bhpians Please Help.

EDIT: -
As the Black Plastic Part bent unevenly, the contact rod, which touches this Aluminum Ring does not make contact all along the Aluminum Ring and hence the Horn does not blow at every angle of Steering Wheel Movement.

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 10th March 2017 at 19:57. Reason: As Above.
Old 10th March 2017, 20:46   #12
Senior - BHPian

The plastic part does it have a part number printed on it? If yes depending on your relation with the service center might be able to source the child part itself. If it doesn't have part number then you will have to look at scrap yard for a steering wheel.

How much does a new steering wheel cost?

You should get the horn fixed even if it means buying a new steering wheel, it could be a lifesaver on our roads!
Old 10th March 2017, 21:08   #13
Team-BHP Support

Mahindra steering wheels are inexpensive, if not try the local scrap shops for the part. Finding such a child part might be difficult.

Another option try if you can get put some plastic washers to level the piece alignment.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks