Team-BHP - Steering won't return back (after a u-turn)!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Steering won't return back (after a u-turn)! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/76730-steering-wont-return-back-after-u-turn.html)

Hi friends, I own a Zen-D 2000 model, my steering won't return back after

fully turned right or lef(no power steering). I have to apply extra force to

bring it back, it acts as being hold there :Frustrati. Is this due to the Alloys and

tyre, she runs on 5.5j with 165/65 R13 or any issue with the steering box ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by b_ambat (Post 1765957)
Hi friends, I own a Zen-D 2000 model, my steering won't return back after

fully turned right or lef(no power steering). I have to apply extra force to

bring it back, it acts as being hold there :Frustrati. Is this due to the Alloys and

tyre, she runs on 5.5j with 165/65 R13 or any issue with the steering box ?

Get the Ball Joint & End Checked+ Also Steering Bush Checked.

Also if you want to simulate get the front two wheels replaced just for a while with normal OEM tryre & RIM & cross check with 2 u turns & 1 km drive check & see if problem persist- According to me it is not related to Alloy or tyre or both.

It is more to do with Ball Joint,End, & Rack Bush

Thanks

Just check if the steering damper is overtight first.

Thanks for the reply guys, I had already checked the damper and also asked the mechanic to loose it little, but he told loosing the damper could lead to sound from the Steering box. My pinion bearing was changed one month ago, so the entire steering assembly was overhauled, is the issue related to improper fitment ?

Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by b_ambat (Post 1766878)
Thanks for the reply guys, I had already checked the damper and also asked the mechanic to loose it little, but he told loosing the damper could lead to sound from the Steering box. My pinion bearing was changed one month ago, so the entire steering assembly was overhauled, is the issue related to improper fitment ?

Thanks

This could be due to :
  1. improper fitment
  2. rake(more likely) and pinion faulty

Hi..Bhpian,
I had to face the same check the Front Stud Bush and bearing, it might be broken inside, Which would cost you 250 for complete kit

Hi monster2, thanks for your reply. You referred "Front Stud Bush" to front suspension bushes rite?

Thanks monster2, I changed the suspension bushes and sturds and my issue is now solved.

HI Ambat..congrats good to see its solved happy driving...

Quote:

Originally Posted by b_ambat (Post 1766878)
Thanks for the reply guys, I had already checked the damper and also asked the mechanic to loose it little, but he told loosing the damper could lead to sound from the Steering box.
Thanks

Yes sound can happen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by b_ambat (Post 1785661)
Thanks monster2, I changed the suspension bushes and sturds and my issue is now solved.

Almost 80% sure that they would have loosened the damper also :p

Hi Jaggu, will the steering be heavier if the damper screw is tight. I feels the steering has become a bit tighter, as it hurts on city traffic.

Yup steering will become tight if the damper nut is tightened. But this can happen due to other reason including worn out tyres.

I assume it could also be the due to the alloys and tyres, but 165 is the right size, there are some bearings in the sturts which is collectivly called the sturt kit, after a suspension overhaul in my old esteem we replaced this and the steeing was little lighter.

Pramod

I had faced a similar issue. My manual steering zen's steering was tight and also had a very very minor play.

When I showed it to Suraksha (hosur road). He tried with other Zen's tyre which were newer. And play had gone and also steering was lighter (i havent seen it myself but mechanic tried it)

So he regreased & refitted the steering (charged me Rs 450). Its smoother now. But I still feel a v.v. little play.

Hello BHPians, I own a Chevrolet spark (october 2008) done 57k kms.
Recently the car got its front suspensions changed and with it all the bushes replaced. The car runs good.
But recently while driving i noticed that after completing the turn, the steering doesn't turn back to its initial position unless done by me (this usually should not happen) (Correct me if i am wrong). The steering wheel vibrated while turning and made funny noises. I went to my trusted mechanic and after check up told me that there is leakage in gaskets in the hydraulic cylinder and there is no steering oil. The vibration and funny noises went away after filling up the oil again.
For the gasket problem he told me i will have to shell out 5-6k for repairing the leakage.
Is the mechanic correct in his prediction?please: I just needed to know before going forward with the repair. The matter is 1 month old.
Mods please put this post to the respective thread if the issue is already discussed.