Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2010, 20:25   #1
Senior - BHPian

Zen AC oil leakage ,suggestion please .

I have ~ 40 K run zen mpfi .

There was a front collision it looks like ( the previous owner said ) , the AC coil is bent little bit .But AC works .

I was free and removed the front bumper just like that .

You can see the AC coil bent little bit inwards .
Also I noticed OIL leaking at the AC compressor( is it was it is called ? ) .

Also I noticed the AC pipe is not heat wrapped (covered) or over the period it had fallen off .Logically looking the engine heat would take away considerable cold from the AC pipe untill it reaches the cabin .

Please suggest the following .

1.Now how to check how much oil is remaining ? , how much Rs to top it up ? .Should I stop using AC untill the oil is filled ?
2.How to heat wrap or cover the AC pipe ? ,cost ?
3.Can the AC coil be bent back ?.( I doubt so ) .I would like to leave it as it is ,but if it can be bent back ,then good .
Attached Thumbnails
Zen AC oil leakage ,suggestion please .-1-1.jpg  

Zen AC oil leakage ,suggestion please .-1-2.jpg  

Zen AC oil leakage ,suggestion please .-1-3.jpg  

Zen AC oil leakage ,suggestion please .-1-4.jpg  

Zen AC oil leakage ,suggestion please .-1.jpg  

Last edited by black12rr : 6th March 2010 at 20:29.
Old 6th March 2010, 21:52   #2
BHPian

Dear BLACK12RR, First I advice you make sure the oil is leaking from the compressor itself. If the compressor oil is leaking, then the gas pressure in the A/C unit also will be down leading to less cooling. Never run the A/C with low gas pressure or a leaking compressor as it will damage the compressor.
Old 7th March 2010, 09:45   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

rr,

Your pics are fantastic;but the condition of the condenser is bad(badly bent)

I am not too sure about the compressor -looks like either the gaskets have gone phut or the oil leak is from somewhere above the compressor - check that out.

Personally,I would recommend not to run the ac and have it checked imemdiately by a trustworthy technician.

Does the ac cool effectively even in this condition?

as regards heat wrapping,only the pipe from the condenser to the evaporator and evaporator to the compressor need to be well wrapped.
Old 7th March 2010, 10:37   #4
BHPian

I faced the same leakage problem on my 800 , its the compressor seal which lead to leak if the leak is from front side(near belt) of compressor .
Old 7th March 2010, 12:19   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
I have ~ 40 K run zen mpfi .

There was a front collision it looks like ( the previous owner said ) , the AC coil is bent little bit .But AC works .

I was free and removed the front bumper just like that .

You can see the AC coil bent little bit inwards .
Also I noticed OIL leaking at the AC compressor( is it was it is called ? ) .

Also I noticed the AC pipe is not heat wrapped (covered) or over the period it had fallen off .Logically looking the engine heat would take away considerable cold from the AC pipe untill it reaches the cabin .

Please suggest the following .

1.Now how to check how much oil is remaining ? , how much Rs to top it up ? .Should I stop using AC untill the oil is filled ?
2.How to heat wrap or cover the AC pipe ? ,cost ?
3.Can the AC coil be bent back ?.( I doubt so ) .I would like to leave it as it is ,but if it can be bent back ,then good .
Pls just go ahead and replace the condensor during that period a good technition will always pressure test even a new condensor to make sure that new unit is not leaking,next he will pressur test the compressor unit by again pressure test it by submerging the compressoer in a bucket filled with water if he finds bubbles from the joints in the body then he will dismantle the compressor and replace set of O rings and fix it back,next he will again pressor test the cooling coil and pipes by keeping the pressor in the system for at least 2 hrs to see aqnt drop in the pressure guages and during that period he will test all pipes joints at fixing nuts ,Finnaly after all these tests and last but not the least vaccune the system before doing the gas charging . This is the correct and right method of working of CAR AC SYSTEM. But this needs patience and sinserityof the technition.About the insulation on pipes this is a small item for the technition.Best of luck.
Old 3rd April 2010, 16:10   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
But this needs patience and sinserityof the technition.About the insulation on pipes this is a small item for the technition.Best of luck.
Iqbal thanks for the correct method ,let me see if I can convience the MASS guy to follow this .

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post

Does the ac cool effectively even in this condition?
as regards heat wrapping,only the pipe from the condenser to the evaporator and evaporator to the compressor need to be well wrapped.

Yes the AC works ok even with this issue .But now aware I have stopped usign the AC fearing compressor damage .

I dint have time to vist MASS . Meanwhile I took a better shot of the oil leak this time .I use the car very less . I have stopped using AC untill it is fixed . Shot of leak . Need to take to MASS ASAP .
Attached Thumbnails
Zen AC oil leakage ,suggestion please .-dsc01140.jpg  

Last edited by black12rr : 3rd April 2010 at 16:21.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks