Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2010, 19:36   #1
BHPian

Problems with my Civic!

Civic, if you thought, is a maintenance-free car, think again!

Firstly, with 50,000+kms on the odo, both the rear tyres of my car have been changed twice and i'm going to change the same again tomorrow! Both due to 1 reason: At speeds above 55-60, the tyres make a horrendously uncomfortable noise.

The Honda mechanic says that the tread of the tyre wears of quickly, hence air is not able to pass through the tread, giving that sound. But then why do these Good Year tyres wear off SO quickly?

Secondly, I am disappointed with the electrical fittings inside the car. I think the whole problem is linked to the door sensor. The door of the car, when opened, doesn't switch on the roof light (when the switch is positioned in the center) and neither buzzes the key-inside beep nor the lights-on beep, which used to buzz earlier. Moreover, the 12V socket too didn't work until I recently sent it to the service centre and to top it, after months of purchasing the car, the lighting of the music system, FUSED!

Thirdly, the compressor gas (for the aircon), after 50,000kms, is nearly finished with only a mere 30gms left behind! Sent it to the service centre and got it filled today, billing to Rs 500.

I many times have felt like installing Michelin tyres on my Civic but then all the tyres would have to be changed costing lots of money. And does it make a significant different if tyres of different makes are installed in the same car?
Please let me know asap since I have to replace the tyres tomorrow.

Moreover, have the other Civic owners experienced any of the aforementioned problems in their car?
Old 17th March 2010, 00:36   #2
BHPian

same here brother, my civics done 27000 and the rear tyres have gone bald, plus the cd receiver giving a mechanical error, i have to now send the player to mumbai for repairs. I would definitely be interested in some suggestion about good tyres.
Old 17th March 2010, 01:11   #3
Senior - BHPian

Go through this thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...s-upgrade.html

and

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...-must-dos.html

Surprised about the electrical problem. Haven't read that one before here.

Yes the tyres, especially the Goodyear ones make a lot of road noise. A lot of folks have changed to Michelin.

Get your car wheel balanced at a proper place outside of the dealer.
Old 17th March 2010, 01:33   #4
Senior - BHPian

You keep changing back to the horrible NCT5s. Are you a sucker for punishment or something? Get better tyres! Also, get your wheels aligned and balanced at a good outside shop.

Your door sensor is messed up.

A lot of your problems I think can be traced to the Honda service center. I remember seeing a different thread on here about another dude from somewhere near Jaipur being fed up with the local Honda A.S.S.
Old 17th March 2010, 02:21   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gennius View Post

Firstly, with 50,000+kms on the odo, both the rear tyres of my car have been changed twice and i'm going to change the same again tomorrow! Both due to 1 reason: At speeds above 55-60, the tyres make a horrendously uncomfortable noise.

I many times have felt like installing Michelin tyres on my Civic but then all the tyres would have to be changed costing lots of money. And does it make a significant different if tyres of different makes are installed in the same car?
Please let me know asap since I have to replace the tyres tomorrow.

Moreover, have the other Civic owners experienced any of the aforementioned problems in their car?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc1bad View Post
same here brother, my civics done 27000 and the rear tyres have gone bald, plus the cd receiver giving a mechanical error, i have to now send the player to mumbai for repairs. I would definitely be interested in some suggestion about good tyres.
The GOODYEARs are the default choice as OEM tires as they cost the least. these are very good for the first few thousand Kms but after that the sound that they make is deafening(almost). My Aveo came with the same tires and after 10K they were like a band.

Change to Michelin Primacy LC and you will enjoy a silent ride another good choice would be the Yokohama dB series also very silent.
Old 17th March 2010, 06:42   #6
BHPian

I am now on my third set of tyres at 58K, Michelin Primacy LC, which is very silent and feels very good. My tyres last only 25K.

So far I have not faced any electrical problems, could be due to any extra fittings?
Old 17th March 2010, 16:06   #7
BHPian

Quote:

What is the tyre rotation interval for Civics? This kind of mentions that in those 50 K + kms the tyres were NOT rotated? Can you confirm?

Last edited by narayanang76 : 17th March 2010 at 16:07. Reason: edited 50K mention
Old 17th March 2010, 16:30   #8
Team-BHP Support

Thats a truck load of issues, ie except the tyres. Find a better dealer workshop is the logical thing that comes to my mind.
Old 17th March 2010, 19:42   #9
BHPian

New Tyres Fitted - Continental 205/60 R15!

Hey everyone,
After receiving your comments, I firmly decided to NOT install the NCT5s on my car. I went to a garage called "The Wheels" in Jaipur this morning and firstly enquired about the prices of the tyres in different makes and he showed me the following tyres:
Michelin Primacy L5
Yokohama dB
Continental ContiEcoContact

The guy quoted me 5000INR for Michelin Primacy, 4450 for Yokohama dB.
He showed me Continental out of the blue and said that the tyre with specs 205/60 R15 was available at a discount rate of 4200 INR whereas the NCT5 would cost me 3900 INR. I immediately agreed for the Contis and kept 2 best NCTs, both as spare tyres . I got the following jobs done in my car:

4 Tyres changed to ContiEcoContact
Wheel Balanced on all 5 tyres
Wheel Alignment
Nitrogen gas filled in all tyres

The total bill amounted to Rs. 17651. He didn't charge me for balancing all the 5 wheels but he charged me for the weights.

What are your views on the deal guys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
You keep changing back to the horrible NCT5s. Are you a sucker for punishment or something? Get better tyres! Also, get your wheels aligned and balanced at a good outside shop.

Your door sensor is messed up.

A lot of your problems I think can be traced to the Honda service center. I remember seeing a different thread on here about another dude from somewhere near Jaipur being fed up with the local Honda A.S.S.
Yeah, after installing Continental tyres, I really feel that I was a sucker for punishment on installing those horrendous NCT5s! The car suddenly feels that its on air!! It's that smooth! I finally can enjoy the ride quality of the Civic to the core. BUT, another problem is what I discovered today, thanks to the tyres, with the ENGINE!!
You generally can hear the voice of the Engine post 3000rpm. But now, the engine makes NOISE post 2300rpm!!! This noise, I believe was hidden by the previously deafening noise from the NCT5s! These innumerable faults in my Civic are driving me nuts! I never expected even a single such problem from my 2005 city! Jeez!

Please let

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayanang76 View Post
What is the tyre rotation interval for Civics? This kind of mentions that in those 50 K + kms the tyres were NOT rotated? Can you confirm?
What do you mean by tyre rotation interval?
Are you referring to wheel alignment or balancing in any case?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Thats a truck load of issues, ie except the tyres. Find a better dealer workshop is the logical thing that comes to my mind.
That's the problem Jaggu bhai! There is only 1 Honda workshop (Pink City Honda) in the whole of Rajasthan (Initially there was only 1. I don't know if they have increased it now). Its a bloody monopoly!
Old 17th March 2010, 21:59   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Hey everyone,
After receiving your comments, I firmly decided to NOT install the NCT5s on my car. I went to a garage called "The Wheels" in Jaipur this morning and firstly enquired about the prices of the tyres in different makes and he showed me the following tyres:
Michelin Primacy L5
Yokohama dB
Continental ContiEcoContact

The guy quoted me 5000INR for Michelin Primacy, 4450 for Yokohama dB.
He showed me Continental out of the blue and said that the tyre with specs 205/60 R15 was available at a discount rate of 4200 INR whereas the NCT5 would cost me 3900 INR. I immediately agreed for the Contis and kept 2 best NCTs, both as spare tyres . I got the following jobs done in my car:

I'm sorry guys, actually the tyres I fitted were Continental ContiPremimiumContact and not ContiEcoContact.

Posting some pictures of the new tyres fitted too (Apologies for clicking the pictures at night. Will click some in daylight on request too .):

Problems with my Civic!-dsc01363-1600x1200.jpg

Problems with my Civic!-dsc01362-1600x1200.jpg

Problems with my Civic!-dsc01360-1600x1200.jpg

Problems with my Civic!-dsc01361-1600x1200.jpg

Cheers
Nilesh
Old 17th March 2010, 22:06   #11
Team-BHP Support

Do get the alignment checked (if you haven't) and stick to 5-7k kms check up for alignment and wheel balancing. These are very good tyres and you cant go wrong with them.
Old 17th March 2010, 22:25   #12
BHPian

Get your rubber bushings checked

My colleague owns the Civic and he has not had any issues with his rear tires. He has been rotating them at 20k intervals. He changed them last month after crossing 41k on the first set. He has shod them with the cheapest Korean tires available from a company called Nanking but he says they are far far better then the OEM tires that came with the Civic.

I suggest you get the rubber bushes that keep rear wheel alignment true; checked for wear and undue hardness. It includes all the linkages barring none. Rear wheel alignment if it can be done in the civic also needs a once over at the hands of a competent guy since mild negative camber on rear wheels is the norm on most of the modern cars which will result in inside tire wear. Front tires are usually with 0 degree camber with .25 degree toe-in resulting in mild outside wear which balances out when rotating tires front to back.
Old 17th March 2010, 23:05   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Do get the alignment checked (if you haven't) and stick to 5-7k kms check up for alignment and wheel balancing. These are very good tyres and you cant go wrong with them.
I got the alignment checked too brother. Much needed, it was. I even mentioned the same in my previous post:

Quote:
I got the following jobs done in my car:

Wheel Balanced on all 5 tyres
Wheel Alignment
Nitrogen gas filled in all tyres
Moreover, I don't think I could have got such good (and wider) tyres by just just 1200 bucks more on the whole over the NCT5s! These are just too good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
My colleague owns the Civic and he has not had any issues with his rear tires. He has been rotating them at 20k intervals. He changed them last month after crossing 41k on the first set. He has shod them with the cheapest Korean tires available from a company called Nanking but he says they are far far better then the OEM tires that came with the Civic.

I suggest you get the rubber bushes that keep rear wheel alignment true; checked for wear and undue hardness. It includes all the linkages barring none. Rear wheel alignment if it can be done in the civic also needs a once over at the hands of a competent guy since mild negative camber on rear wheels is the norm on most of the modern cars which will result in inside tire wear. Front tires are usually with 0 degree camber with .25 degree toe-in resulting in mild outside wear which balances out when rotating tires front to back.
Will get those rubber bushes checked as soon as possible! Thanks!
The guy who aligns the tyres is the best guy in that business in Jaipur. He possesses skilled labor and the best equipment in his workshop! I had a weird problem in my Honda City and the steering was consequently changed thrice under warranty until this guy said that its an alignment problem and he fixed it! So, I don't doubt his skills when it comes to rubber!
Old 17th March 2010, 23:27   #14
Senior - BHPian

Do remember to do tyre rotation at regular intervals.

The engine makes noise? You'll have to more clear than that. What kind of noise? Does it occur in all gears? Does it change with speed? Does it change with RPM? An engine makes noise all the time. You need to tell us what's abnormal.
Old 18th March 2010, 00:10   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
Do remember to do tyre rotation at regular intervals.

The engine makes noise? You'll have to more clear than that. What kind of noise? Does it occur in all gears? Does it change with speed? Does it change with RPM? An engine makes noise all the time. You need to tell us what's abnormal.
Yes I will.

Its a noise similar what one hears when the engine revs post 3000rpm in the Civic. The car vibrates more than normal when it is revved between 2300-2600rpm, then it mellows down a little between 2600-3000rpm and then you hear the normal 3000rpm+ noise. It is the normal 'revving' sort of a noise, but its just that it was vibration-free and completely silent before when the engine was revved below 3000rpm.
To be precise, it is not the noise that's 'bizarre' and 'abnormal' but the significant rise in the NVH level.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks