Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2010, 14:08   #1
BHPian

Fungus in Carpet - Solutions ?

Yesterday when i removed the rubber mats to vaccum my car , i was shcoked to see fungus spread in the market .I was bit of damp as well . Since it is summer here are here and the car has not been driven through any water lodged roads i wonder how this happen. Apart from the normal washing there is not water spill.
What can be done.
Old 21st March 2010, 14:25   #2
Senior - BHPian

Fungus almost always needs a moist area to breed. Instead of rubber mats in my Omni, I use cloth mats.
Old 21st March 2010, 15:07   #3
BHPian

You can try this out How to Remove Mildew Odors from a Car | eHow.com
Old 21st March 2010, 15:43   #4
Senior - BHPian

Possibly, there is water leaking from your AC system? Where was the fungus found? If its the front passenger seat, its very likely the AC.
Old 24th March 2010, 11:34   #5
BHPian

yes it is the front passenger foot rest area.
Old 24th March 2010, 11:58   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Possibly, there is water leaking from your AC system? Where was the fungus found? If its the front passenger seat, its very likely the AC.
I'm facing the same problem in my car but it looks more like the white stains under the carpet than fungus.

Bullboy - Do you get the fungus smell in your car ?
Old 24th March 2010, 12:13   #7
Team-BHP Support

Check if your AC drain pipe is fixed proper and not blocked. Remove the rubber mats and leave the car under full sun for a day, this will help dry the carpet fully. Then vacuum the car and its should be fine, as long as you do a weekly clean up.

During summer the heat from underbody will keep the mats dry and shouldnt cause any fungi attacks
Old 24th March 2010, 16:43   #8
BHPian

Experts, correct me if I am wrong,
other solution is to spray some anti-fungal powder, provided it doesnot cause corrosive action on the floor metal.
Old 24th March 2010, 16:54   #9
BHPian

Agree with Jaggu.I had this problem once, albeit not to the extent of the fungus problem.Check your AC drain pipe.Removing the rubber mats for a day should dry up most of the dampness..
Old 24th March 2010, 22:23   #10
BHPian

You will need to pinpoint the reason for water entering the cabin. its no use trying to get the fungus out if you dont find the root cause.. I had this problem in my wagonR where water used to leak in through the front firewall area.. One fine day the car started stinking real bad and look lotsa time to go.

For the time being take out the carpet and keep it in the sun for a day or so. Wash it if possible. You'll probably have to take out the seats and side claddings to get the carpet out. BAsically something like this Fungus in Carpet - Solutions ?-sg.jpg

Here is an old pic of our octi. Look what happened when we didnt use the car for a week in summer!
Fungus in Carpet - Solutions ?-resize-octi.jpg

Last edited by james : 24th March 2010 at 22:29.
Old 24th March 2010, 22:29   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
You will need to pinpoint the reason for water entering the cabin. its no use trying to get the fungus out if you dont find the root cause.. I had this problem in my wagonR where water used to leak in through the front firewall area.. One fine day the car started stinking real bad and look lotsa time to go.

For the time being take out the carpet and keep it in the sun for a day or so. Wash it if possible. You'll probably have to take out the seats and side claddings to get the carpet out.

Here is an old pic of our octi. Look what happened when we didnt use the car for a week in summer!
Attachment 315017
Hey it says invalid attachment number, or is it not opening just in my system

Sorry got to see the images now. But was not able to delete the reply

Last edited by xingamazon : 24th March 2010 at 22:30.
Old 26th March 2010, 12:38   #12
BHPian

I tried drying it up. The problem is that apart from the rubber carpet there full length carpet on top of which seats are fixed .also below the carpet and pasted to the flooe the is a thich damping material which is holding some water.
There is no odour though.Now i have dried the floor and will check again.
Old 26th March 2010, 14:11   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullboy View Post
I tried drying it up. The problem is that apart from the rubber carpet there full length carpet on top of which seats are fixed .also below the carpet and pasted to the flooe the is a thich damping material which is holding some water.
There is no odour though.Now i have dried the floor and will check again.

This carpet is not pasted, it can be removed, first you need to remove the 2 front seat and the rear lower seat, once you get rid of them remove your entire carpet and see for other issues, by other issues i mean see if there is any rust on the body as fungus produces a lot of heat and might end up in rusting. It can be a case of some liquid spilling as well, so you might have to inspect very closly and findout the root cause.

If its a liquid spilling issue then get PVC flooring done.

Pramod
Old 26th March 2010, 14:23   #14
BHPian

Quote:
This carpet is not pasted, it can be removed, first you need to remove the 2 front seat and the rear lower seat, once you get rid of them remove your entire carpet and see for other issues
Beneath that carpet there is a thick padding which i feel is pasted to the floor.Will get some snaps.
Old 26th March 2010, 14:46   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullboy View Post
Beneath that carpet there is a thick padding which i feel is pasted to the floor.Will get some snaps.

I understood, you can just pull it off,it will not damage anything. I got all that removed when my car was painted, you can put it back once the problem is solved, remember mould growth can be extreamly dangerous as they emit toxic gases.

Pramod

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks