Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2010, 13:39   #1
Senior - BHPian

Ford Fiesta AC cooling effectiveness

Fiestians,

Does any fiestians have any experience of cooling not happening fast in Ford Fiesta. The other day I had parked my Fiesta under a shade for about 4 hrs and when I opened the doors I could feel the cabin too heated. Switching on the AC also did not help as the cooling was not happening fast enough esp for passengers sitting at the rear. Even in the front I could feel the cooling was not quick enough. This is one off case coz normally when I move out of my office (Parked in basement) the cooling is almost instant and I have to switch off after few minutes.
Is the cooling not designed for Indian summers now that April and May are still be seen. Any particular setting to be done?. Normally I have done the setting as mentioned in Nairrk's thread of "All Fiesta owners - you are here".
Old 25th March 2010, 13:44   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Fiestians,

Does any fiestians have any experience of cooling not happening fast in Ford Fiesta. The other day I had parked my Fiesta under a shade for about 4 hrs and when I opened the doors I could feel the cabin too heated. Switching on the AC also did not help as the cooling was not happening fast enough esp for passengers sitting at the rear. Even in the front I could feel the cooling was not quick enough. This is one off case coz normally when I move out of my office (Parked in basement) the cooling is almost instant and I have to switch off after few minutes.
Is the cooling not designed for Indian summers now that April and May are still be seen. Any particular setting to be done?. Normally I have done the setting as mentioned in Nairrk's thread of "All Fiesta owners - you are here".
I have also seen differences in the cooling between the month of January & March. In Jan, I had to bring the blower back to 1 within 5 mins or so. However, I can do the same only in the night and after 10-15 mins. In daytime, the blower needs to be kept at needle 2, not less than that.
Old 25th March 2010, 14:04   #3
BHPian

Hey there was a issue in one particular batch of fiesta where ac or power steering cable was too close to engine and a potential for damage.check it out.
Old 25th March 2010, 14:15   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hope you kept the Recirculation mode and not the Fresh air mode?
Did you kept open the windows for couple of minutes with blower on high position
(to allow inside hot air to go out)?

Last week I had to attend a wedding and the parking area has no shade at all and direct sun heat attack on the car. The car was parked in such condition for almost 4 hours. When I opened the car, everything inside was so hot( I still not installed the sun film). We had four people on board and eveyone was struggling inside. I switched on the A/C and within couple of minutes, I felt that cool air started coming from the vent and I immediately closed all doors. I drove the car in 3 position for about 5 kms and then reduced to 1st position (but need to change to 2nd position when the car comes to a junction where the speed has to be reduced).
No complaints at all
Old 25th March 2010, 14:22   #5
Senior - BHPian

The fiesta has an awesome AC and I can vouch for it. My friend has a diesel Fiesta and we did a south to west Mumbai trip in scorching summer afternoon last May with utmost comfort.
Old 25th March 2010, 14:34   #6
Senior - BHPian

There will obviously be a difference in cooling bewteen Jan and end of Mar. I used to keep my AC at 1 even in the day time in Jan, but now I start at 3 and then move to 2 after 10 mins when the cabin gets ice cold. It's about 37 in Chennai at the moment and I usually start my drive around noon. I don't think I will ever need to go to position 4 unless the car has been baking in the sun for a few hours. It's still at 1 during the night and I even have to adjust the thermostat a bit as it gets too cold even in 1. But if your teeth are not chattering away in position 3 after 15 mins, you may have an issue. Get the blower cleaned up and check the gas as well.

The Fiesta easily has the best AC out there at the moment. Citys, Octavias and even Lauras don't come even close. In fact, the Laura has one of the worst ACs for a car that costs so much. It's only marginally better than my 800s. Not sure what Skoda was thinking.

Last edited by Gilead : 25th March 2010 at 14:40.
Old 25th March 2010, 14:39   #7
Senior - BHPian

Not sure if you can check this, but I have heard the air filter sometimes get clogged in all ACs. What time are you going to service next, if sooner, do ask him to inspect the air filter and correct it.
I am guessing this is should be the reason.
Old 25th March 2010, 14:40   #8
Senior - BHPian

@ nair Sir,I had done exactly the same as mentioned by you remembering the tips which you had mentioned in the most popular thread on Team BHP forum. Actually this was the first time when I experienced this issue hence the query. The fact that troubled me was even after keeping shade the car getting so much heated was something un visualized. But do Ford test their vehicles cooling power at such temperatures also, I doubt it.@ sparkledEven I would vouch for the fast cooling in Fiesta but that day it just did not happen the way it used to.
Old 25th March 2010, 14:58   #9
BHPian

If my car is parked directly under the sun, first I down all the windows, put the blower at 4 (with A/C on, recirculate on), the air throw direction at the foot level..to quickly dissipate the heat..within a min, close the windows and return the blower to 2 and direction towards face level...post that it is adjusting between 1 & 2. In current Chennai summer, max 3 mins it takes to come to a comfortable temp.

I have this Huper-optik front window sunfilm which does cut out the heat a lot. This difference I can clearly make since in my previos Ikon, no front window film was installed. There was no way I could sit without scorching my ***. In Fiesta with the front sunfilm, it feels kind of warm rather than hot..not sure it has got something to do with leather seats or not.

Ghodlur@, suggest check all your A/c settings (recirculation mode makes a huge diff)..if still it does not improve, time for an a.s.s visit.
Old 25th March 2010, 15:14   #10
Senior - BHPian

I dont know about Thane, but the heat that we are facing currently in this part of country will make any A/c cry if the car is out in open for 4 hours.

Please dont compare cooling in parking in shade vs parking in open under sunlight that too in this season.
Old 25th March 2010, 15:28   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

I am not sure about the Fiesta but the Ikon had divertor valve problems. AC gas leakage could be another culprit and if you find the blower throwing lesser air than before it can be choked pollen filter.

Most Viewed