Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2010, 07:11   #1
BHPian

Immobilizer - A dumb question

Hi Friends - The dealer told me that my i10 Magna Automatic has factory fitted immobilizer. How do I verify the same? Also, do insurance company give any discounts if immobilizer is present in the car?
Old 26th March 2010, 09:43   #2
Senior - BHPian

@ simhi

You can confirm by checking on the dashboard where you can see a red light blinking which means that the immobilizer is on.
Of course you can get the discounts from Insurance company if Hyundai guys confirm that the anti theft device i.e the immobilizer is ARAI certified. I got a discount for my Ford Fiesta from ICICI Lombard.
Old 26th March 2010, 09:52   #3
BHPian

I have another doubt does iCat in maruti car has the same function as Immobilizer?
Old 26th March 2010, 09:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

A red light blinking can be anything.

Most cars with immobilizers have a light on the meters which looks like a key. This lights up for a moment when you turn on the ignition and stays lit when the immobilizer is tripped by a fake key.
Old 26th March 2010, 10:13   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simhi View Post
Hi Friends - The dealer told me that my i10 Magna Automatic has factory fitted immobilizer. How do I verify the same? Also, do insurance company give any discounts if immobilizer is present in the car?
One simple way to check.
  • Unlock your car. This should disable your immobilzer. Get inside the car and close all the doors.
  • Lock the car while you are inside the car using your remote lock (I hope you have that on the key). This should arm the immobilzer.
  • Try to start the car without unlocking the car. This should activate the alarm in your car and you should not be able to start your car.
  • Check your manual. There should be some visual indication to show that somebody had tried to start the car. (They generally indicate what type of intrusion was there - someone trying to open the door, someone trying to start the car, triggering of the shock sensor etc.)
-Biju

Last edited by pjbiju : 26th March 2010 at 10:15.
Old 26th March 2010, 18:52   #6
BHPian

Thanks friends. I checked the instrument cluster and noticed that the immobilizer in Hyundai i10 Magna AT is displayed with a car and key symbol. This lights up when we insert the key and goes off once we start the vehicle.
Old 27th March 2010, 12:07   #7
knp
BHPian

Does i10 kappa sportz has immobilizer?
Old 27th March 2010, 12:18   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalitk25 View Post
I have another doubt does iCat in maruti car has the same function as Immobilizer?
iCATS is also an immobiliser, it works exactly the same way.
Old 27th March 2010, 12:27   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
One simple way to check.
  • Unlock your car. This should disable your immobilzer. Get inside the car and close all the doors.
  • Lock the car while you are inside the car using your remote lock (I hope you have that on the key). This should arm the immobilzer.
  • Try to start the car without unlocking the car. This should activate the alarm in your car and you should not be able to start your car.
  • Check your manual. There should be some visual indication to show that somebody had tried to start the car. (They generally indicate what type of intrusion was there - someone trying to open the door, someone trying to start the car, triggering of the shock sensor etc.)
-Biju
The code for immobilizer is embedded into the key. When the key is inserted, the ECU verifies the code and removes inhibitor/immobilizer. So with your key, you can start the car even when you lock the car from inside. Immobilzer is related to engine and car lock is a separate safety device.
Old 27th March 2010, 17:52   #10
BHPian

Quote:

Hi Simhi,

Yes. Insurance companies do give a discount if the vehicle is fitted with an immobilizer or as they call it "An anti theft device".
I have just got a discount for the same.

Regards,

SS
Old 27th March 2010, 19:04   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How do I verify the same?
Get a duplicate key made from road-side keymakers.

This key should open the door. But it would not be able to start the engine.
Old 27th March 2010, 22:09   #12
BHPian

Thanks friends for all the inputs.

@knp: If i10 Magna has immobilizer, I guess Sportz Kappa (higher variant) should also have it.
Old 27th March 2010, 23:08   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutsNBolts View Post
The code for immobilizer is embedded into the key. When the key is inserted, the ECU verifies the code and removes inhibitor/immobilizer. So with your key, you can start the car even when you lock the car from inside. Immobilzer is related to engine and car lock is a separate safety device.
Yes, agree with you, I had my SWIFT keys made in silver & I could open doors, but not start the engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Hi Simhi,
Insurance companies do give a discount if the vehicle is fitted with an immobilizer or as they call it "An anti theft device".
I have just got a discount for the same.
Regards,
SS
Generally, They tend to ignore this discount portion, just insist on it they will give in.
Old 28th March 2010, 00:49   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Even the immobiliser is not foolproof, A friend's Swift VDi was stolen last month. The car was left unattended for just 15 minutes.
Old 26th May 2010, 18:25   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Even the immobiliser is not foolproof, A friend's Swift VDi was stolen last month. The car was left unattended for just 15 minutes.
Seems Interesting.... I would say either thief had a duplicate key and after opening they towed it away otherwise I am ready to listen what could be another way of stealing a car with immobilizer fitted in?

Because SK motors in chandigarh told me not to fit a car lock as swft vdi is equipped with iCat.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks