Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2010, 23:37   #1
BANNED

What is CMVR?

Hi Everyone,
With increasing levels of awareness amongst us, thanks to TBHP, we consumers are becoming more and more demanding by the day. But at times, we are told that there are certain demands/needs/product features that cannot be retained/introduced since CMVR doesn't permit them.
We know what it stands for but there are no details that I could find on the internet which explain its functions, rules and more than anything the extent of control it has over the automobile manufacturers.

It would be great if the people on this forum who are aware of such knowledge could share their inputs, suggest changes and discuss it here.
Moderators, in case something similar exists, please feel free to merge or delete this thread.
Old 28th March 2010, 11:08   #2
BHPian

I did not know what CMVR stood for? Search the net and got the answer

CMVR - Central Motor Vehicles Rules

Ofcourse you do get link to Indian Government site when searching in google with "Central Motor Vehicles Rules"
Old 28th March 2010, 11:19   #3
Senior - BHPian

CMVR as I know is a body who has made some rules regarding Automobile design and the Automobile Designers are totally not happy about some of the rules.

P.S : This was told to me by a R&D head of a Automobile company.
Old 28th March 2010, 11:26   #4
BANNED

What are those rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
Automobile Designers are totally not happy about some of the rules.
You are right but do we know what those rules are, at least a few of them and to what extent they influence automobile design and the workarounds that are being adopted. Hope to see some gyaan flowing in.
Old 28th March 2010, 12:28   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
Automobile Designers are totally not happy about some of the rules.

P.S : This was told to me by a R&D head of a Automobile company.
Yes, most of the rules are cockeyed (there is no rationality behind them). Arun whom are you talking about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
You are right but do we know what those rules are, at least a few of them and to what extent they influence automobile design and the workarounds that are being adopted. Hope to see some gyaan flowing in.
Rules are huge, these cover the whole vehicle. I am attaching a file which will give you some idea of the nature of testing and certification required. Non compliance to any one of them prohibits the manufacturer from selling the product. This is a nice topic for discussion, i would be happy to contribute as this happens to be..

Source of file- ARAI website

Spike
Attached Files
File Type: xls IS Standards.xls (76.0 KB, 2423 views)

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 28th March 2010 at 12:29. Reason: add info
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2010, 12:52   #6
BANNED

What do those codes mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Rules are huge, these cover the whole vehicle. I am attaching a file which will give you some idea of the nature of testing and certification required. Non compliance to any one of them prohibits the manufacturer from selling the product.
Thank you for the file SPIKE, but tell me, most of the tests just mention some IS standard/AIS standard to be followed, where can we get the explanation for that? Because that I guess will actually explain the test and the required performance/manufacturing requirements/bottlenecks/hindrances right??
Old 28th March 2010, 13:03   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
where can we get the explanation for that? Because that I guess will actually explain the test and the required performance/manufacturing requirements/bottlenecks/hindrances right??
I don't know if it is available in the ARAI/VRDE websites, but yes the IS specifications tell the test procedures in detail. I have those with me, but cannot upload them due to obvious reasons. I would be happy to clear queries related to any particular tests. I hope you understand.

Spike
Old 29th March 2010, 09:32   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
I would be happy to clear queries related to any particular tests. I hope you understand.
Spike
Oh yes, I completely do. Ok, my first query. There was this CMVR hindrance being discussed while choosing the axle ratios for the Thar and some talk about certain parameters the older ratio couldn't pass. Could you please clarify that. Thanks.
Old 29th March 2010, 10:01   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh yes, I completely do. Ok, my first query. There was this CMVR hindrance being discussed while choosing the axle ratios for the Thar and some talk about certain parameters the older ratio couldn't pass. Could you please clarify that. Thanks.
I don't know about Thar, but i can tell you the generic repercussions of using different axle ratios:-
1. Smoke and emission levels.
2. NVH and pass by noise.
3. Engine calibration
4. Speedo odo error and its calibration.
5. Lead times for all the above mentioned activities.

Spike

P.S. Please do not bring Thar as a topic of discussion here, that would be better

Most Viewed