Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2010, 19:14   #16
Senior - BHPian

Take it to gomes at santacruz. there is no better guy than him in that area.
Old 4th April 2010, 16:34   #17
Senior - BHPian

No Use, He has put the car for sale.

Pramod
Old 4th April 2010, 16:36   #18
Senior - BHPian

Why no use? I am getting it done first! How can I sell someone a car without air conditioning? And I have kinda decided to get a Delphi compressor on tuesday and have it fitted subsequently.
Old 4th April 2010, 16:51   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar56 View Post
I will try to get the actual costs from my friend's workshop tomorrow and update you.
14k is the MGA Price for the compressor.
Gas + Labor can vary between 2k to 4k depending on the place you are getting it done.
Old 4th April 2010, 17:11   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
I have a 2004 Zen MPi LXi. Just two days back, I was warming the engine before driving off, after which I switched on the AC. Heard a 'srrrrrrrrrrr' noise akin to the ones heard on Indica diesels. I revved a little and the noise went. But then, the inevitable happened. On restoring the revs, the noise became louder and then the car just stalled!! Bogged down!!

Had the AC engineer take the car to their workshop and he checked and called back.
HE says the oil from the AC compressor leaked out and the compressor is badly damaged. It needs to go! I got a shock. But recovered and asked how much it would cost. He says the compressor costs about 12.5k and the other stuff that needs to be replaced along with it is going to cost about 5k. Labour and gas charging will cost about 2k. So, an estimate of about 19k.

What enraged me further was his honest report about the last few Zens ot have rolled out from Maruti Udyog. He says they come with HORRID Delphi AC systems and was reluctant to let us spend so much on something that is really ghastly when it comes to maintenance. He suggested that if we were spending 20k on refurbishing an AC that has no guaranteed life, it makes sense getting an ENTIRELY NEW AIRCONDITIONING UNIT (for about 32k) from Subros.

I am shocked. Have no words. 32k on a car AC???? I feel like writing a letter to Maruti. But sadly, neither is the car under warranty, and also, the AC has been serviced outside the M.A.S.S.
I feel like banging my head! Is this the LOW COST people associate Maruti with ?????
Hi Frank,

From where have you got this quote? Is this a local mechanic or authorised Maruti service centre? As mentioned by many, the AC mechanic is taking you for a ride. A brand new AC should not cost more than 20k max including labour. I had a similar problem in my Maruti 800 and remember fitting a second hand Sanden compressor, cooling coil & condensor for around 13k with a 6 months warranty. i used the car for another 2 yrs I guess before I sold it off but never had any issues. Got it done from Gomes Auto in Santacruz (W). He's the best as far as I know. Even Correa Car AC is supossed to be good. I believe he is stationed in Goregaon.
Old 4th May 2010, 02:37   #21
BHPian

Did you sell the car, frank? Did you get it resolved? How much did it cost in the end?
Old 11th June 2010, 11:50   #22
BHPian

I had the same problem in my ZEN. Whenever I switched on my AC, I used to get the noise of the compressor kicking in but there was no cooling. Tried topping up the gas as the MASS normally does and it will stay good for 10 - 15 days and then back to square one.
To my surprise, saw white fumes coming out of the bonnet on day. Checked with the service station and found that the AC compressor along with the AC fan motor (entire AC setup) had failed and needs to be replaced.
Since I was completely dealing with CARS India for the service, went ahead and did a replacement costing to 22k. From then on the AC is super cooling and no issues with it. Had the pipes also replaced.
Not sure if certain things can be repaired/refurbished and even if done, cannot guarantee till how long will it stay good. Mine is 2003 Zen LX which has clocked 76k and this is the first time that I had to replace the entire AC kit.

Last edited by Technocrat : 11th June 2010 at 17:06. Reason: Removed extra formatting. Please avoid copy pasting from external editors like MS word etc

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks