Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2010, 00:02   #1
BHPian

Car security systems- Do they really help? No!

Hey guys,

I came through this item on a shopping site called dealextreme.com which says it can crack through car security systems with a push of a button and costs 103$.

"- Detect, receive, copy all kinds of car remote control signals, then command the car as freely as the car’s owner
- Working frequency range: 305~330MHz
- It receives the signal sent by the fixed code anti-theft system, save and copy the master’s remote control signal
- The effective distance is 100 metres
- Save thirty remote control signals
- Decodability chip: PLC fake rolling code(5326), EV1527, PT2262, HT12E, HT6014
- Fit the mostly anti-theft system
- 2.5" Blue background light LED screen
- 2 * Retractable antennas
- Coverage 50-100 meters
- Powered by 9V 6F22 battery (included) or 9~12V DC input"

Here's the link: DealExtreme: $103.53 315MHz Car Wireless Remote Key/Security Jammer and Code Scanner (100-Meter Radius Coverage)

Now lies the question, Can you trust your car's anti-theft system? I hope thieves in India aren't aware of this.

Last edited by akshay_b : 5th April 2010 at 00:21.
Old 5th April 2010, 00:18   #2
BHPian

Going by the same logic, we should all leave the doors of our houses unlocked when we go out.
Any protection device is only a deterrent.If anybody really wants to get around it, they will find a way, but, in the meantime, the level of the deterrent needs to keep improving keeping the adversary in mind.
Old 5th April 2010, 00:38   #3
BHPian

Isn't this similar to what was shown in the movie "Gone in 60 seconds" ?
Old 5th April 2010, 00:46   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistakenguy View Post
Isn't this similar to what was shown in the movie "Gone in 60 seconds" ?
Hey, I was also thinking of same. But IMHO this product isn't going to work on most cars as most of new cars have frequency more than 600 MHz and some have about 2.4 GHz that is 2400 Mhz. As like any cordless phone and this product supports the frequency of 330 Mhz.
Old 5th April 2010, 00:49   #5
BHPian

I guess there is very less reason to worry about this scanner.

From the DX website: " It receives the signal sent by the fixed code anti-theft system, save and copy the master’s remote control signal"

Many many years ago, every decent car security company migrated from fixed code to rolling code based technology.

I'm not really sure whether all products sold in India are based on Rolling Code/Code hopping algorithms (Ex. Keeloq).
Old 5th April 2010, 07:28   #6
BANNED

Deal extreme has gotlots of interesting hardware listed in their website. One was a RFID key copying device :-) Maruti iCATS came to my mind.
Old 5th April 2010, 08:22   #7
Senior - BHPian

As Digital Vampire rightly said, we don't need to worry as the key codes have been changed to rolling key codes.
Source - Sample from carwale, Immobilizer for Maruti Car Range

I'm sure most of the car boosters are much more aware of us about these things, after all they too have targets fixed by their boss & have to survive & have to be upkept with technology.

OT - Few years back there was a simple way by which a Skoda Oct was stolen; two people dressed up like business men convinced a reputed travel agency for hiring a chauffeur driver Skoda from Chennai to some long distance; after chengalpet, the duo persuaded the car driver to get down to get some beer; by the time the driver came back the car was flicked.

Most Viewed