Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2010, 10:55   #1
BHPian

Burnt the starter coil on my Indigo CS yesterday

Dear friends,

Yesterday, I ran out of diesel on the road. My mistake as I knew since morning that I was running low on fuel but I kept using the car till the evening and finally ran out of diesel a km before my house.

Anyway, after the diesel ran out, I did the next mistake. I put the car in gear and kept using the ignition to move the car towards the side of the road. It worked but finally smoke started emanating from under the hood and even after I put diesel, the car did not start again.

I'm suspecting that the starter coil or motor had the winding get burnt. What do you suspect? I need some guidance and advice. I have given the car to the nearest mechanic and he says that he is getting the batteries charged. I think that is not needed. He needs to open the starter motor and check that properly. This is my opinion. Could I have some more opinions on this issue, please??

Thanks & regards
Old 9th April 2010, 11:36   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akadian View Post
Dear friends,

Yesterday, I ran out of diesel on the road. My mistake as I knew since morning that I was running low on fuel but I kept using the car till the evening and finally ran out of diesel a km before my house.

Anyway, after the diesel ran out, I did the next mistake. I put the car in gear and kept using the ignition to move the car towards the side of the road. It worked but finally smoke started emanating from under the hood and even after I put diesel, the car did not start again.

I'm suspecting that the starter coil or motor had the winding get burnt. What do you suspect? I need some guidance and advice. I have given the car to the nearest mechanic and he says that he is getting the batteries charged. I think that is not needed. He needs to open the starter motor and check that properly. This is my opinion. Could I have some more opinions on this issue, please??

Thanks & regards
First charge your battery and see if it cranks your engine, you must service your starter since the extra load might have damaged something but, i dont think the starter will die if its just one or two cranks to move the Car on the side of the raod. I have seen a Indicab guy doing it for nearly 100 meters with 3-4 people sitting when he ran out of diesel and the moment he filled diesel he pumped the air out and the car started normally.

Pramod
Old 9th April 2010, 11:58   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
First charge your battery and see if it cranks your engine, you must service your starter since the extra load might have damaged something but, i dont think the starter will die if its just one or two cranks to move the Car on the side of the raod. I have seen a Indicab guy doing it for nearly 100 meters with 3-4 people sitting when he ran out of diesel and the moment he filled diesel he pumped the air out and the car started normally.

Pramod
Hi Pramod,

Thanks for the opinion. Even I kept doing it continuously for more than 100 meters, I'm afraid. At the end of that, there were fumes emanating from under the bonnet. So, something is burnt for sure. But I don't know what exactly. It may be the solenoid, I suspect but am not 100% sure.

Anyway, do you know how much a new starter motor costs?

Thanks & regards
Old 9th April 2010, 12:29   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Pramod,

Thanks for the opinion. Even I kept doing it continuously for more than 100 meters, I'm afraid. At the end of that, there were fumes emanating from under the bonnet. So, something is burnt for sure. But I don't know what exactly. It may be the solenoid, I suspect but am not 100% sure.

Anyway, do you know how much a new starter motor costs?

Thanks & regards

It could be the solenoid, try cranking it and if nothing happens not even a slight sound, hit the solonoid with your jack rod, it was to be hard so that if it is stuck it disengages, now try starting it, if it works great, then you have a faulty solenoid switch, else it could be the starter. I do not own a Tata so prices are something i cannot help you with however lets decide how to cross the bridge when we reach the bridge .

Pramod
Old 9th April 2010, 13:47   #5
Senior - BHPian

dude, yours is a new indigo, check with the TASC and see if you can get it replaced under warranty.

If they won't cover it under warranty, contact Lucas TVS . they're the folks who will be fixing/replacing the starter. might as well cut out the middleman
Old 13th April 2010, 12:37   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
dude, yours is a new indigo, check with the TASC and see if you can get it replaced under warranty.

If they won't cover it under warranty, contact Lucas TVS . they're the folks who will be fixing/replacing the starter. might as well cut out the middleman
Hi buddy!

It turned out to be Visteon. That was strange. I thought it should be a Lucas TVS thing as you said. Pretty expensive too. The Lucas TVS starter on an Indica is Rs 3000 or thereabouts. This one from Visteon turned out to be Rs 5500. Anyway, what to do
Old 13th April 2010, 13:30   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...Anyway, what to do
Next time, fuel up. If that fails and car stalls, use the hazard lights and push the car to the side.
Old 13th April 2010, 21:11   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

you could have easily got the starter done up for approx 1500 bucks;anyway,no point thinking about this option since you're done
Old 14th April 2010, 14:38   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
you could have easily got the starter done up for approx 1500 bucks;anyway,no point thinking about this option since you're done
Hi Som,

How do you do that? I'm interested in knowing even though I've already got it done. Just for the sake of knowledge if not anything else
Old 16th April 2010, 10:52   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Next time, fuel up. If that fails and car stalls, use the hazard lights and push the car to the side.
Hey HappyWheels!!

Very very well said. These are simple and easy things that you have suggested as solutions to this kind of an issue. Trust me, fancy things lead to trouble as I have discovered recently
Old 16th April 2010, 22:38   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Som,

How do you do that? I'm interested in knowing even though I've already got it done. Just for the sake of knowledge if not anything else
It is normally the armature that fails in case the starter is overloaded - replace for Rs.1200(in case you are patient enough to spend time in rewinding it - Rs.500)

These days,many starters come with a magnet as the "field coil" - no damage at all.
Old 17th April 2010, 06:31   #12
Senior - BHPian

and do learn to prime the fuel pump in case you run out of fuel and fill just a litre or so . its a rubber thingy
Old 17th April 2010, 07:40   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
and do learn to prime the fuel pump in case you run out of fuel and fill just a litre or so . its a rubber thingy
absolutely;attack the root,so that the boot(the wallet) is healthy

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks