Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2010, 11:46   #1
BHPian

Maruti Zen- Current divided between head light and left side indicator

Hey Guys
My ten year old Maruti Zen which has clocked around 1L Kms is down with a peculiar problem. Recently, my car's alternator was replaced. After a few days of problem free running, I observed that when I switch on the head lights, the left hand side head light is very dim and the left indicator (all of them) are also switched on but very faintly. But, when I don't switch on the head lights, that is, during the day the indicators work fine. The alternator functioning was checked after replacement by an authorised service center with an Engine scanner. What could be the problem guys?
Best regards
Abhinav Sharma
Old 10th April 2010, 12:09   #2
Senior - BHPian

check the wiring of the LHS headlamp / LHS indicator. you can DIY as wel.

Keep us posted. all the best.
Old 10th April 2010, 13:37   #3
BHPian

Where is the wiring? I have no idea!
Old 10th April 2010, 16:24   #4
BHPian

Take it easy- this has nothing to do with your alternator.

Simply put, your left headlight and indicators are now connected in a series, making each of those bulbs to share the voltage. Any competent electrician would be able to sort it out.

Else Try a DIY as planet rocker suggested.
Old 10th April 2010, 16:41   #5
BHPian

Hi Abhi,
The ground wire would have got oxidised and the indicator is glowing due to grounding via HL. There could be some oxide on the bulholder that creats a high resistance path. A piece of sand paper could clear the problem. This use to happen often my dad's Premier Padmini. The ground connection use to be the problem.
For PP & 118 NE owners, you could see the fuel guage oscillating in tune with the right indicator lamp. This indicates that the ground connection is improper for the fuel float system / rear left indicator lamp.
Old 10th April 2010, 17:08   #6
BHPian

@Ilangop- spot on man! My horn had fallen off from it's place causing the head lights and the indicators to get incorrect grounding. It was a 5 minute job. Everything is fine now. Thanks a lot.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks