Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2010, 08:57   #1
BANNED

Can an engine be run hotter or cooler?

I am starting this topic inspired by the question mooza had posted about his Scorp vibrating lesser when cold.

The question is, is it possible to make an engine function either cooler or hotter than the manufacturer set operating range?
If so, what are the the likely modifications to be done and the benefits and drawbacks thereof?

Waiting for inputs from engine gurus on the forum like DB Sir, Spike, CPH, and others.

Mods, in case a similar thread exists, please feel free to merge/delete this thread.
Old 15th April 2010, 09:42   #2
CPH
BHPian

You can run them hotter as well as cooler. Some 20 years ago most engines ran cooler.

You can vary the temperature by using different thermostats or you dispose of the thermostat altogether and do the same with the waterpump and replace it by an electric pump with a controller, which allows you to set the temperature much more constant than the OE set-up.

Increasing the temperature of a late engine set-up is not good news because the cooling is not equal throughout the engine and might create problems in some spots.

Temperature can also be influenced by the chosen richness. Usually engines are overfueled at the upper rpm band to prevent overheating.
Old 15th April 2010, 09:51   #3
Senior - BHPian

The temperature range that a car operates in is based on multiple parameters, that help aid in better combustion and heat regulation on an engine, the cars use a device called the thermostat to regulate the circulation of coolant through the engine based on a specific temperature range and this is driven by a wax pellet, you do get other thermostats for various temperature ranges, but I doubt so for most Indian cars. You can read more about thermostats here

As for the cold start part I think the ECU actually supplies an additional burst of diesel prior to the main injection cycle to help on cold starts and engine warm up, this reduces the overall vibrations but at the same time also tends to reduce the explosiveness of the air fuel mixture. Diesels gurus please correct me if I am wrong.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks