Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2012, 14:38   #16
BHPian

Re: Lug nuts - How many do you really need?

I just recently got a new Polo and replaced the stock 14" rims with 15" alloy wheels and better rubber. The alloy wheels I selected has 10 holes, while Polo's stock rim had 5. The new alloy wheel is of the same PCD and has fit perfectly. However, I'm still having sleepless nights thinking if the 5 nuts holding the alloy wheels will be enough, especially because the alloy has 10 holes.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
DueLLeR
Old 22nd September 2012, 09:17   #17
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DueLLeR View Post
I just recently got a new Polo and replaced the stock 14" rims with 15" alloy wheels and better rubber. The alloy wheels I selected has 10 holes, while Polo's stock rim had 5. The new alloy wheel is of the same PCD and has fit perfectly. However, I'm still having sleepless nights thinking if the 5 nuts holding the alloy wheels will be enough, especially because the alloy has 10 holes.
OE wheel nuts are designed to have a safety factor which is over 66.67% over their required load / stress bearing capabilities. So with 15 inch wheels you will be well within the required safety margin as far as the nuts and bolts are concerned. The only area of concern would be the design of the alloy wheels and whether they have been calibrated to handle stress only when 10 nuts / bolts are in place. This is a question that only the manufacturer of the alloy wheel can answer and one of the several downsides of altering OE specs as you really wouldn't the answer unless the manufacturer gives it to you. Reputed manufacturer's will give you these answers (I have received answers from them in an earlier case) but the far eastern ones are a shot in the dark. However as far as the car is concerned and if the alloy had just 5 nuts the answer would be that you have no cause for concern at all.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2012, 11:10   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The alloy wheels I selected has 10 holes, while Polo's stock rim had 5.
If you are changing the nuts and the bolts please stick to the OEM ones or go for better materials ( i.e. higher shearing strength for the bolt and better grooves for the but) and you should be fine
souravc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2012, 11:34   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks,
DueLLeR
The alloy wheels you got may be multi-pcd ones. Can you post a photo of them? 5 lug nuts/bolts are more than enough.
vikram_d is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2012, 11:41   #20
BHPian

Well, 10 holes may be provided for flexibility. 15" rims dont need 10 lug nuts to hold it! You should be absolutely fine with it. Sleep well!

Quote:

Thanks,
DueLLeR
wantarangerover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2012, 15:04   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
The alloy wheels you got may be multi-pcd ones. Can you post a photo of them? 5 lug nuts/bolts are more than enough.
Here's the link to the picture posted on the Alloy Wheel thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post2910590

Cheers!
DueLLeR
Old 24th September 2012, 15:34   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here's the link to the picture posted on the Alloy Wheel thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post2910590

Cheers!
DueLLeR
Can't see the holes clearly, but 5 lug nuts will not cause any problem. 5 is more than enough for 15" wheels as already mentioned.
Old 26th October 2020, 17:47   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
If you are changing the nuts and the bolts please stick to the OEM ones or go for better materials ( i.e. higher shearing strength for the bolt and better grooves for the but) and you should be fine
Quoting an old post - how to make sure that the replacement bolts that we purchase would have higher shearing strength?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks