Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2010, 16:35   #1
Senior - BHPian

Automotive Technical Terms

TBHP is a good treasure trove of knowledge especially for lot of us who may not be so technically oriented. In keeping with the same ethos, I thought of starting out a thread wherein people can post their queries and get answers reading various automotive terminologies so that they can make sense of various items quoted on product brochures.

To start with I would like to ask all the knowledgeable folks here to explain the term "Gradability" which is explained in % terms. I understand gradability means ability of a vehicle to climb inclines, but how can one convert the percentage into degrees.

Awaiting answers and questions on this thread.

@Mods: Please merge if something similar exists

Last edited by MileCruncher : 26th April 2010 at 16:38.
Old 26th April 2010, 20:17   #2
Senior - BHPian

Milecruncher, i have explained Gradeability in detail here:- http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...ulation-3.html The percentage generally is nothing but the slope, a percentage of 100 means slope or tan theta=1, which means gradeability or theta=45 degrees, similarly gradeability=80% means tan theta=0.8 hence gradeability or theta= 38 degrees. Normally vehicles are designed with upto 70% gradeability. Trust this helps. Spike
Old 26th April 2010, 21:02   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Milecruncher, i have explained Gradeability in detail here:- http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...ulation-3.html The percentage generally is nothing but the slope, a percentage of 100 means slope or tan theta=1, which means gradeability or theta=45 degrees, similarly gradeability=80% means tan theta=0.8 hence gradeability or theta= 38 degrees. Normally vehicles are designed with upto 70% gradeability. Trust this helps. Spike
Few queries:
  1. If 100% gradability means theta of 45 deg, then is it possible to more than 100% gradability where a vehicle is able to climb a 60% incline
  2. Also I seeing the statistics of a TATA TL which has a gradability of 72% whereas Land Rover Defender has only a 60% gradability. So does that mean a TL will climb inclines better than Defender. On ground, I think its quite the other way round

Most Viewed