Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2010, 09:10   #1

Weak Compression in Ford Ikon 1.6zxi 2005 model

Hi,
I have a Ford Ikon 1.6 zxi 2005 model. From last 6 months, I have observed that, oil indicator of my car is blinking at random. When I stop the car and start it again, it goes off and car runs very well. When the indicator is ON, the car engine makes the noise.
I have shown it to Planet ford and in one of their service remark, they have mentioned that, the engine has a weak compression.
Since now the the issue of indicator crops up frequenntly ( I replace the oil twice and topped up once in last six month), I again visited Plaent Ford Pune. The advisor recommended to go for Enginer Overhaul. (Also he suggested to sale the car and buy Fiesta but I decided not to go for any Ford now will go for Maruti/Tata)
Now I need members opinion on three things...
1. Advisor suggested me that.. Engine overhaul will cost me somewhere around 60-70K and Planet would require 40K as advance payment.
2. I contacted my mechanic and he suggested me two options. I can go ahead with him for engine overhaul which will have less labour charges, but I am more worried about the original parts. He suggestd that, where the dealer would suggest replacement, there can be some repair which can be done e.g. liners need not be replaced and can be worked upon. this will reduce significant cost.
3. Advisor and mechanic suggested me to go for buying the old engine. In that. case I have an apprenhsion that whats the gurantee that, this engine is good as well. And dont know what will the RTO procedure if I change the engine.
Please advise which option is better and any other alternative you have if any one faces similar issue earlier?
One basic question.. Is the engine overhaul really required? And if I do this, what will be the performance guaranteed for my car?
Regards,
Atul
PS: Reason for choosing Maruti/Tata - I have my Indica - 2001 model- its running without any issue with mileage of 20KM per litre of Diesal.
Old 28th April 2010, 09:27   #2
Senior - BHPian

A quick question, how many kms has your car done, ps you do not need a engine swap a rebore with bigger pistons should solve the problem and the 60-70k mentioned for the repairs (if just for the engine work) is way to high.
Old 28th April 2010, 18:46   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atulpj View Post
e.g. liners need not be replaced and can be worked upon. this will reduce significant cost.

One basic question.. Is the engine overhaul really required? And if I do this, what will be the performance guaranteed for my car?.
Have you been checking your oil level? get a second compression test done at another place. You may very well be losing oil to a leak.

As far as doing outside, you can buy OE parts yourself and have them do it.

Quote:
a rebore with bigger pistons should solve the problem and the 60-70k mentioned for the repairs (if just for the engine work) is way to high.
Is is commonly done?
if the bore is OK (ID spec) and only the rings have excessive wear, you can getaway with new rings and hone.
Old 29th April 2010, 16:34   #4

Thank you for the replies.. Mileage is around 1Lakh KM. There is no leak and no white smoke in the car.

I consulted one more Mechanic yesterday and he suggested me a cost of 20-25K for rebore. He said that there are reputed companies in Pune who can do this rebore. Even the Ford Service station folks would go to them for rebore. (Not sure).

The kit and everything is available outside the service station and are good in quality.

As suggested, I will definitely get the compression test done at some other place. (70K is the estimate given by Planet Ford and 40K is the advance payment before the work starts..)

One more observation.. Hydraulic Lifters are creating noise as well. Ford Service station folks suggested me to change all 8 lifters costing around 6400, but the outside mechanic suggested to change the one which is faulty and need not replace all.. Which is the better option..Claim by Ford is that.. all parts will worn out equally and I might have to change this at ont point of time...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks