Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2012, 14:19   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Help! Car doesn't start

Is the starter turning the engine. if not the starter, the solenoid or the starter switch may be faulty. Chances of the battery failing in three years is remote.
Old 21st April 2012, 14:44   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Is the car running on oe battery ? Switch ON headlights and cabin light ON and see what happens to cabin light when you crank. If it dims off, it's a battery issue.
The cabin light is going dim when trying to crank. Could be a battery problem?

What I am not able to worry is the weird sound (similar to soooonnnn or coooooonnnn) happening for 2 seconds as soon as I put the key in on position.
Old 21st April 2012, 14:48   #18
Team-BHP Support

Battery issue it is. The sound might be one of the relays going bonkers due to low voltage. Just guessing.
Old 21st April 2012, 14:56   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Battery issue it is. The sound might be one of the relays going bonkers due to low voltage. Just guessing.
Ok. should I get my car towed to service center or trying starting it by pushing it as nozzlering did? Sorry, not much experience in troubleshooting here.

Wonder why battery is low this early. It was check in November and fluid was changed as well. Brand Exide.

Last edited by ottocycle : 21st April 2012 at 14:58.
Old 21st April 2012, 15:21   #20
BHPian

check if your battery terminals are tight and have no play. also check your fuses.
Old 21st April 2012, 21:47   #21
BHPian

Re: Manza Quadrajet - Car refusing to start.

An update on my issue "Indigo CS GLX refusing to start".

The local mechanic came to see the car. He had spare battery with him. Tried connecting the other battery and engine cranked. He then drove the car to his garage. Kept the car in running position (neutral gear) for around 20 mins. Checked the level of current flowing to the battery and was saying that the current level is lower than normal. And the problem could be either with alternator or battery.
After 15 mins of running, car was able to start by itself. He then asked me to check if the car starts tomorrow morning as well. If the same problem persists next time, then he will get the battery full recharged and then will try further tests.

I got the car back to my place. Went out for shopping (around after 30 mins). While returning (after ~2.5 hrs), the car refused to start again. Had to ask the parking guys to push the car. Was able to start the car by pushing it (first time for me ). Any idea, what could be wrong? Is it battery or alternator or wiring?

Will check if the car is starting tomorrow.
Old 21st April 2012, 23:04   #22
BHPian

The sound the car makes when you turn the key is what tells you a lot about the problem. If you hear the sound of something turning or spinning, it is the starter motor that is having a problem with getting the engine to start. It sounds like a disc scratching against some surface. If the sound you hear is of the engine turning over but it sounds like the engine is cranking slower than usual, it is the battery that is at fault. If the sound is of a single 'click' and then nothing, that could be the battery too.

It's easy to tell if a battery is discharged because it needs replacement or because the alternator is faulty by looking at the dashboard light with a battery symbol on it while the car is running. If it is lit, your guess probably is the battery needing replacement, right? Actually, that's where the folks who made up the symbol goofed up - that's supposed to mean that it's a faulty alternator (or a wiring problem, but usually it means it's a problem with the alternator) and the battery isn't getting enough electricity to get charged.
Old 21st April 2012, 23:42   #23
BHPian

Yes. Looks like in my case it might be alternator which needs replacement.

btw, any idea of how much would be the cost to replace the alternator?
Old 22nd April 2012, 09:52   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottocycle View Post
Ok. should I get my car towed to service center or trying starting it by pushing it as nozzlering did? Sorry, not much experience in troubleshooting here.

Wonder why battery is low this early. It was check in November and fluid was changed as well. Brand Exide.
The battery has to go through discharge/ charge cycles for optimum performance and long life. In my case, car was running ocassionally, for a period of about 2-3 years.Is it same with your car? And worst part is, it went kaput without any signal!!!! Though battery going kaput in 3 years is very rare, but can't be ruled out.

In case of emergency you can push start. But imagine, if it stalls somewhere!!
Old 22nd April 2012, 13:22   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nozzlering View Post
The battery has to go through discharge/ charge cycles for optimum performance and long life. In my case, car was running ocassionally, for a period of about 2-3 years.Is it same with your car? And worst part is, it went kaput without any signal!!!! Though battery going kaput in 3 years is very rare, but can't be ruled out.

In case of emergency you can push start. But imagine, if it stalls somewhere!!
Yeah. Same is the case here. For initial 2.5 years it was run very occasionally. 6.7k odo in 38 months, out of which 2.3k is in last 6 months.

Today morning as well the car didn't start. The mechanic has asked to go to Exide shop to the the battery checked. Will possibly go tomorrow.

Also, I have seen some coolant spillage below the coolant storage. What could be the problem. Is that leaking as well?

Last edited by ottocycle : 22nd April 2012 at 13:23.
Old 22nd April 2012, 14:06   #26
BHPian

Is that coolant or electrolyte from your battery??? Carefully check whether your battery has spilled it (Electrolyte is CORROSIVE in nature. Proper eye protection and hand protection is required).
Even if thats coolant, not related to your starting problem.
Its highly probable that your battery is gone.
Old 22nd April 2012, 16:48   #27
BHPian

I am sure its coolant. It's greenish and too far from the battery. Yes, will get more clear picture after I take my car to the battery shop.
Old 24th April 2012, 14:40   #28
BHPian

Update: Bought exide max DIN43LH from S. K. Traders (exide authorized dealer) Punjagutta at 4500/- (the sales person was not ready to negotiate and was arrogant). Have given the car to mechanic to check about the low current coming from the alternator.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks