Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2010, 15:57   #16
Senior - BHPian

Did you install any ICE/AMP/HU/ or any thing that needed a wiring to be done via the firewall?
Old 18th May 2010, 18:43   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnrajdeep View Post
This seems to be very similar to torque-steer. Can you please verify if other Swifts also behave in the same manner? Maybe you could check the test drive cars at the showrooms.
Shall have to get this check out!! But do you think there could be any connection with the left brake problem I mentioned??

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
I had faced the exact same problem with my Swift D. I did understand that it was an injector problem. The SA at RNS Yeshwantpur said he'll check all the injectors and clean them. Never had a problem since then.

This was during my 3rd service at 10k kms. Right now I have logged 40k without any problems (touchwood)
I don't think I want to clean them, just get them replaced. But good to know that RNS did take the initiative to clean em up!!
How long did your engine take to quieten down??

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Did you install any ICE/AMP/HU/ or any thing that needed a wiring to be done via the firewall?
Engine issues were there before an amp setup. Had gotten the security system fixed on day 1 that needed wires to be pulled through the firewall.
Whats the connection??
Old 18th May 2010, 18:47   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I remember reading somewhere in this forum that Swift D has the cheapest turbo out of the cars using Fiat 1.3 MJD engine in India. The most expensive ones used to be in the initial lot of Palio MJDs.
It uses Borg Warner and replacement will cost 14k without taxes.

BTW injector blockage problem is nothing but use of doubtful diesel.

change the refill station.

BTW your case is unique, maybe the dealer passed you a faulty car. All my friends and everybody in our town who bought a Swift Diesel or Dzire, they are 110 % satisfied. i personally hate diesel though. Though i am game opening them up too.

Last edited by SirAlec : 18th May 2010 at 18:50.
Old 18th May 2010, 19:33   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
BTW injector blockage problem is nothing but use of doubtful diesel.

change the refill station.
Yes and add to your vows almost 95% of Diesel sold is doubtful , The Solution as prescribed by Tata is to use BGF224K ( 10 K interval) or Bardhal Diesel Tune ( 3K interval) periodically to keep the injectors clean.

If your the problem is restricted just to loss of accelaration in 3ed gear for a second then it can be solved by a DIY. Drive for some 500 meters on empty road in 2nd gear at 80Kmps /hr ( or max speed possible in your car) to clean exhast components. Then use system-D for a couple of tankful to clean injectors.

Actually I know this as I drove my Safari on pure Kerosene filled at unknown pump in middle of nowhere on NH7 ( blue color sample shown by Service adviser later) at 130 - 140 Kmph for some 300Kms. Result was rough idle on cold engine for first 15-20 sec after start.

Good people at TASS first cleaned tank and HP lines FOC , They advised me to run using Bardhal Diesel tune for a week. I pleaded my case that I do not make diesel at home and their equipment should have tolerance for what is sold in market.

So after a week they changed all 4 injectors under warranty.
As per service adviser even after cleaning fully the prob can not be guaranteed to fix. They made it 2 step procedure so that warranty is not denied as each injector MRP was 10040 Rs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
BTW your case is unique, maybe the dealer passed you a faulty car. All my friends and everybody in our town who bought a Swift Diesel or Dzire, they are 110 % satisfied. i personally hate diesel though. Though i am game opening them up too.
Not exactly SirAlec there are too many such cases for blown Turbo on Swift I have heard.

About injector clogging problem generally aam janata does not worry too much about small issues such as rough idle on cold start or loss of acceleration for one sec in 3ed gear etc so no one reports it,
Only when something major happens which is show stopper they care
Old 18th May 2010, 20:35   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Not exactly SirAlec there are too many such cases for blown Turbo on Swift I have heard.
Any turbo would go bust if engine oil is over-filled. M.A.S.S was filling in excess oil, after which they sent a notice to all dealerships to fill the correct quantity of oil.
Old 18th May 2010, 23:46   #21
Senior - BHPian

Turbo charged car does need special care. Like idling etc. Many here have said newer car does not need that. But in reality it does.
Old 19th May 2010, 07:14   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by intoxicangel View Post

Engine issues were there before an amp setup. Had gotten the security system fixed on day 1 that needed wires to be pulled through the firewall.
Whats the connection??
A friend of mine who drives a 2 year old VDi wanted to sell it coz of noise. It was RHS; you will feel its from top right exactly where the turbo is. He had taken it to here and there; had it checked by people from company after keeping the car for 11 days at MASS. He had its this and that cleaned but the noise wouldnt just go. It very irritating at high speeds above certain rpm.

He go the noise after he used a certain power box (for few days) and hence he was sure his turbo or so has gone kaput. He drove the car around for 6 months plus with the issue and with ICE at high volume to helps driving comfort!

A month back someone suggested that he meet a guy at a MASS at a Cochin, a guy who was the last word in Maruti diesels. Will no hope my friend ( sadly a tbhpian who dont post! ) drives down and meets this guy ( who is a well known personal at Maruti A.S.S and heads a team which takes only escalated cases). They two go for a drive and after few kilometers, our hero stops the car, opens the bonnet, touches something, comes back into car, touches/checks something. He then takes few tissue paper, folds it up and pushes it down somewhere.

He then drives the car and my friend now looks exactly like the idiot in the new Indica Vista advt. The sound was gone! The accessory people has made the bush which sites at firewall loose when they fitted the central locking ( apparently, power box and central locking happened on same day, but this was never considered). The tissue paper was to make the dealing tight.

None will believe this. My friend drove back the same day to Trivandrum without switching on ICE! ( he has a nice ICE done by Zuhemi @ Emperor). He met me enroute, about 100kms from Cochin and his face still was like that idiot from Indica Vista advt. Well, I met him 3 days ago and his face still is so!

The severity of the noise was such that he had almost sold the car to get i20 or so! and maybe the grin now coz he saved money.
Old 19th May 2010, 10:37   #23
Team-BHP Support

LOL @ jkdas you said it our so called technical hero's sometimes forgets the basics and go after un-imaginable problems lol
Old 19th May 2010, 11:05   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Shall have to get this check out!! But do you think there could be any connection with the left brake problem I mentioned??
I dont know if this can be related to the brake. But another thing I too faced was the loss of acceleration in 4th and 5th gears. I also found white smoke coming from the exhaust. This was narrowed down to excess engine oil being filled. Now I make sure that the oil filled is a little below the max oil level mark on the dipstick and the problem has never surfaced since then. Oh, I also got the intercooler cleaned because of this.

Try it, it may solve your acceleration issues in 4th and 5th gears.
Old 19th May 2010, 14:50   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Hi to all T-Bhpians,
- Braking suddenly has become a nightmare. Hard braking results in the my car running right (the left wheel runs ahead of the right wheel) despite holding the steering in a straight line. Three days ago it poured in Bangalore and ever since, I can hear and feel scary loud rubbing, grinding sounds from the front left wheel under hard braking (I know that the brake pads are ceramics on the swift and hence some sound is normal, but this is insane, people outside the car wonder what I am doing)
New observations on the brakes bit with some experimentation
- the pedal gets hard while braking in slow moving traffic
- becomes rock hard when pumped a couple of times at stand still
- handbrake up needs to be really pulled all the way to prevent a roll on a slope, which wasn;t the case before
- at speeds of 60 and above, the pedal feel is normal
- at 80 - 100 brakes work flawlessly (scary thought, what if they do fail based on numerous posts bout swift brake failures considering what is happening otherwise to the brake system)

anyone with a thought or idea of what has happened??
My guess is left brake shoe damage and pressure loss to the brakes under slow speeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnrajdeep View Post
I dont know if this can be related to the brake. But another thing I too faced was the loss of acceleration in 4th and 5th gears. I also found white smoke coming from the exhaust. This was narrowed down to excess engine oil being filled. Now I make sure that the oil filled is a little below the max oil level mark on the dipstick and the problem has never surfaced since then. Oh, I also got the intercooler cleaned because of this.

Try it, it may solve your acceleration issues in 4th and 5th gears.
well i have heard and learnt that M.A.S.S fills on 3.5 ltrs of engine oil and hence most times turbo issues arise.

Based on suggestion by the garage I used to go and also who M.A.S.S went to, to solve the issue.. the recommended oil should be 2.8ltrs instead.

Going to get synthetic oil from him for the engine and tell M.A.S.S not to touch the oil during 3rd service!!

Last edited by Jaggu : 19th May 2010 at 18:01. Reason: Back to back posts, please use Multi (Quote +) instead, Thanks
Old 19th May 2010, 15:07   #26
Team-BHP Support

I think the latest guidelines say 2.9l and 3.1l without and with filter change respectively.
Old 19th May 2010, 15:27   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
I think the latest guidelines say 2.9l and 3.1l without and with filter change respectively.
Inspite of this guidelines being prominently displayed, when I took my car for a 15000 km oil change and after mentioning this specifically to the SA, to my horror the service personnel put in 3.1 ltrs when the oil filter was not changed. On arguing, the guy insisted that this is the right amount. Had to call the SA and make that service person working on my car understand that he was wrong. They then drained the oil again and filled it back ensuring that they did not overfill.

I only can guess what happens to cars that are left without anyone to oversee such things. This was at Mandovi Motors, Bannerghatta Road, Bangalore!
Old 19th May 2010, 16:08   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
New observations on the brakes bit with some experimentation
- the pedal gets hard while braking in slow moving traffic
- becomes rock hard when pumped a couple of times at stand still
- handbrake up needs to be really pulled all the way to prevent a roll on a slope, which wasn;t the case before
- at speeds of 60 and above, the pedal feel is normal
- at 80 - 100 brakes work flawlessly (scary thought, what if they do fail based on numerous posts bout swift brake failures considering what is happening otherwise to the brake system)

anyone with a thought or idea of what has happened??
My guess is left brake shoe damage and pressure loss to the brakes under slow speeds.
1) Well, Brakes pedal do require a bit more effort in traffic, its not a problem.

2) Second one is not a problem too, You don't give time for the booster to vaccumise itself again, i ll become hard. Same with my swift. Not a problem again.

None of your above mentioned are problems, Under hard braking at slow speeds you get a 'DANG' noise too. That is not a problem either.
Old 19th May 2010, 16:17   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
1) Well, Brakes pedal do require a bit more effort in traffic, its not a problem.

2) Second one is not a problem too, You don't give time for the booster to vaccumise itself again, i ll become hard. Same with my swift. Not a problem again.

None of your above mentioned are problems, Under hard braking at slow speeds you get a 'DANG' noise too. That is not a problem either.
humyum, if u read the first post of this thread, i did say that the noise is really bad off late and especially after the rain.
braking pulls the car right. the left wheel makes weird sounds and its not the normal "dang" sound!!
Old 19th May 2010, 16:39   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
humyum, if u read the first post of this thread, i did say that the noise is really bad off late and especially after the rain.
braking pulls the car right. the left wheel makes weird sounds and its not the normal "dang" sound!!

Yes yes, I got that. But the problems you listed later in the post I answered for are not problems is all I had to say because I have a Swift diesel too

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks