Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2010, 19:42   #1

Maruti Esteem - Battery problem with A\C.

Hi everyone,

This is my second post on the forum, but i am a regular on this website but dont post much. However I have the website open for 9 hours in a day. I have an issue with my maruti esteem. The battery in my car goes down when i put the AC on for a long distance. Please let me know if i have to get the battery checked or should i check the compressor or the electricals?
Old 19th May 2010, 20:15   #2
BHPian

i think you get your alternator checked. Confirm if it is charging the battery properly.

cheers
vikram
Old 19th May 2010, 21:06   #3
BHPian

Do this, park the car in silent place where you can hear engine sound. Start the car and when at idle switch on the AC. If the RPM does not increase slightly or rather goes down then you have to get the electrical checked. There is a system to increase RPM when AC is switched on so that extra load which compressor puts on engine does not effect pickup and generation of current from alternator.

If above works fine then it maybe just that your battery is weak and cannot take load of compressor clutch + blower motor + condenser fan + radiator fan as these run all together when AC is on. Go to a battery shop (guys at amaron are honest at least in my area and don't try to push you to buy new battery unless current one is not ok) and get the battery voltage + gravity checked.

Post more details please like car model (mpfi/carb) and battery age.
Old 20th May 2010, 13:45   #4
Senior - BHPian

How is the car? How old is the battery.?
Old 23rd May 2010, 02:09   #5
Senior - BHPian

It seems to be a problem with the alternator. Get the battery and the alternator checked. How long back did you get the alternator checked ?
Old 27th May 2010, 01:17   #6

Hey thanks for your valuable inputs guys. I have changed the battery from Amaron to Pristolite about 8 months ago and its been about 3000 kms since my car has had a service. Anyways will Check the battery and teh alternator. Once again thank you guys for the inputs.
Old 27th May 2010, 16:01   #7
BANNED

An AC can draw about 10A (2A clutch + 8A blower) + additional 6A for the fan. Thus a defective alternator or a loose belt are the suspects. I have had AC cars since 1980 incl. some I ACed myself.
Old 27th May 2010, 20:43   #8

Hmmm this sounds interesting. I do hear a slight belt noise when i drive. Anyways i will visit the Mec this weekend and get it sorted out.

@ sgiitk thank you for your experienced inputs.
Old 28th May 2010, 10:47   #9
Team-BHP Support

Check alternator and how its charging the battery. I think its weak charging causing drain on the battery. Also do you see the charging light glowing a lil when idling with AC on? Thats a sure shot sign of bad charging.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks