Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2010, 10:56   #1
BHPian

Will coolant mixed in petrol harm engine?

Hi,

Today I returned from Bhopal and didn't know that there is a strike of all petrol pumps in Delhi. I drove my Gypsy which had little petrol thinking that I'll fill her up on the way, but all pumps were closed.

Worried that I won't be able to go back home in the evening, I called up a colleague who come from Haryana and requested him to bring a couple of liter of petrol. He brought it in a coolant bottle. When I poured the petrol in the tank, in the end I noticed a few green droplets of coolant. Which must be the residual coolant in the bottle.

Will it affect the engine in any way? I tried to search for on the net, and at t-bhp; but couldn't find anything, therefore posting a new thread.

Nitin
Old 24th May 2010, 11:01   #2
Senior - BHPian

Coolant is water based and it is immiscible with petrol. You fuel filter should be able to filter out lesser quantities of it, but moderate quantities can be harmful. (I am not sure about petrol filters, but most of the diesel fuel filters separates out water) May be you'll need an early replacement of FF.

Last edited by clevermax : 24th May 2010 at 11:04.
Old 24th May 2010, 11:06   #3
Senior - BHPian

A few droplets wont hurt at all. Dont worry.
Old 24th May 2010, 12:43   #4
Senior - BHPian

Few drops of coolant in the Petrol will not harm. For all you know, the coolant drops may accumulate in the carb. In MPFI system, the coolant drops may reach the cylinder and come out of the exhaust valve without harming. You may feel a little misfiring and thats all.

BTW Petrol Fuel Filters don't separate water like the Diesel ones.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks