Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2010, 11:12   #1
BHPian

Jazz - RPM drops to 500

guys i have a 3 months old jazz which has done around 5000 kms.

from day 1, when ever the clutch is pressed for a couple of seconds when the car is in motion, the rpm drops down to 500 approx and then gets back to the usual 900 mark. engine shudders like it is not getting enough petrol and then sparks back to life. it is very irritating in stop and go traffic. also, at times when starting from standstill at red lights, acceleration aint smooth every time. its dips for a second at times like engine is wanting some more gas to go.

marked this problem during the 1st service at automax, mayapuri and dad was turned away saying its some "intelligent engine" and this behavior is normal. during the 2nd service, again highlighted this problem and got the same response that its normal for a petrol engine and that i shouldn't be pressing clutch for long when the vehicle is in motion. i mean this isnt our 1st car or the only car that i will buy this excuse.

dont want to depend on those morons for this. they seem to know nothing about their products!!!!
Old 24th May 2010, 11:15   #2
Senior - BHPian

Do some high rpm runs, and see whether it still has the behavior? Do you use good quality fuel?

Last edited by clevermax : 24th May 2010 at 11:17.
Old 24th May 2010, 11:34   #3
BHPian

@ clevermax : i have ripped her also and still the same behavior persists. and have tried different and coco pumps but to no avail!
Old 24th May 2010, 12:02   #4
MAS
Senior - BHPian

I guess you need to check your fuel quality. Cleaning the throttle body should help.
Old 24th May 2010, 19:04   #5
Team-BHP Support

Very strange behavior, if idle drops also it should drop to normal idle or maybe a lil lower by 50 rpm or so. You will have to first check another Jazz to rule out any fuel saving code which is running in the ECU (am just guessing here).

If there is no such phenomenon in other car, then start checking all the sensors and its calibration, especially at the fueling and ignition side.
Old 24th May 2010, 20:12   #6
BHPian

I would doubt one of the spark plug cable is gone bad, please have it checked at authorized service center.
Old 24th May 2010, 20:20   #7
Senior - BHPian

Similar thing happens to my car when the ECU is reset. Upon the first start, the rpm drops to below 500 when I engage the clutch while shifting from 1st gear. It doesn't happen once the car runs few Kms and probably when the ECU becomes self aware
Old 24th May 2010, 20:35   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Similar thing happens to my car when the ECU is reset. Upon the first start, the rpm drops to below 500 when I engage the clutch while shifting from 1st gear. It doesn't happen once the car runs few Kms and probably when the ECU becomes self aware
I am no expert buddy but i guess to address the first start (or a start when the car has been off for lets say 5-6 hours) issue you can do the following.

1) start the car
2) DO NOT Engage the AC
3) Keep the car stationary without engaging any gear or throttle for about a minute
4) While switching off the car again you should keep the car stationary without engaging the AC for a minute and then shut it off

I don't know this will help resolve this issue but i think this is a good procedure to keep the engine in good condition.

Experts, please correct me if i am wrong.

Hope it helps.

~KC
Old 24th May 2010, 21:21   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.chandiok View Post
I am no expert buddy but i guess to address the first start (or a start when the car has been off for lets say 5-6 hours) issue you can do the following.

1) start the car
2) DO NOT Engage the AC
3) Keep the car stationary without engaging any gear or throttle for about a minute
4) While switching off the car again you should keep the car stationary without engaging the AC for a minute and then shut it off

I don't know this will help resolve this issue but i think this is a good procedure to keep the engine in good condition.

Experts, please correct me if i am wrong.

Hope it helps.

~KC
IMHO This used to help on old engines which didn't had ECU, modern cars don't need this OLD Fiat/amby style revving.
Old 24th May 2010, 22:43   #10
BHPian

thanks for your response guys!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Very strange behavior, if idle drops also it should drop to normal idle or maybe a lil lower by 50 rpm or so. You will have to first check another Jazz to rule out any fuel saving code which is running in the ECU (am just guessing here).

If there is no such phenomenon in other car, then start checking all the sensors and its calibration, especially at the fueling and ignition side.
jaggu i will be going to honda again tomorrow. will check with another jazz then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
I would doubt one of the spark plug cable is gone bad, please have it checked at authorized service center.
ghpk i will TD some other jazz first and then ask them to check the spark plug cable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
my car behaves this way even after running a 100 kms.
Old 24th May 2010, 22:45   #11
Senior - BHPian

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Post Deleted. Typing a message which is not a value-addition to the topic being discussed, or is just entirely irrelevant is considered as “Spam” on this community. Spamming is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP.

Last edited by Eddy : 25th May 2010 at 08:17. Reason: Note inline
pgsagar is offline   Received Infraction
Old 27th May 2010, 16:43   #12
BHPian

@white_vdi: i just faced the exact same problem today. i have a palio 1.2.
the car is not idling properly. when i bring the car to neutral, instead of coming down to around ~900 revs, the revs first fall down to ~400-500 and then come up. on couple of occasions, the car even switched off. and the problem started occuring after around 20 kms of running today. i called up a guy at Fiat A.S.S. and he told me it could be anything from the throttle body to the sensors.

@white_vdi: i will be out of delhi for the couple next days, if you find an answer to this problem, please share it here as well.

Thanks.
Old 29th May 2010, 11:22   #13
BHPian

Any updates on this? Similar issue with my lancer (happens every time after disconnecting the battery (ecu reset) )

update: Problem seems to have REDUCED (not disappeared) after a thorough throttle body clean up.
Old 29th May 2010, 12:17   #14
Senior - BHPian

The Jazz is drive by wire, so the idle is controlled by the ECU. Check the throttle body. There is also a possibility of clogged injectors.
Old 29th May 2010, 14:12   #15
BHPian

no update yet guys!! havent got time off from work to visit the workshop. most probably will go there in a day or two. will ask the A.S.S guys to check the senors and the throttle body for sure.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks