Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2010, 17:07   #1
BHPian

gearbox woes in the Palio 1.6

Hi All,

i have a 18 Month old 1.6 Stile. about 6 months back, the gearbox oil leaked onto the clutch while i was in hyderabad and had to replace the clutch and since i was not in Pune, the Concorde motors guys declined to provide warrantly on the same.

now, the issue has come up again. the gearbox is leaking oil again onto the clutch causing it to slip and have given it for service again. looking at spening some more money here.

i wanted to know if any of you guys have faced a similar issue and if it is a known cause of concern with the palio.

the workshop guys mentioned that this can happen with gear changes at high RPMs. how is that possible? does this mean that the palio gearbox isnt even strong enough for a 1.6 engine? i dont mind changing the parts if worn out due to wear and tear but my car only sees city commuting mostly though the year with one occasional trip to bangalore or goa. s is kind of getting on my nerves.

any inputs as a resolution or way to avoid this would be much appreciated.

thanks,
Kiran.
Old 25th May 2010, 21:13   #2
Senior - BHPian

Gearbox leaking oil to the dry type clutch is unusual. and I haven't heard this type of problems yet. But if it has happened its definitely an oil seal failure.

and why do you need to change the clutch when it got soaked in oil. You might have cleaned it and dried it and used it again, provided that the condition of the clutch was okay.

what was the remedy that was taken apart from clutch replacement when it occurred the first time
Old 25th May 2010, 21:18   #3
BHPian

te A.S.S. guys said that the gearbox oil seal gave way leaking oil onto the clutch. at the time, i was actually driving from Pune to Hyderabad so the clutch took quite a hammering on the highway. they asked me to replace the clutch so that's what i did.

i still have the clutch with me an hinestly dont see any damage or wear to warrant a replacement but did not want any hassles on the way back so just went with it.

i getting the car back tomorrow so will know if they changed the clutch this time arounud as well.

anyways, if there is oil on the clutch, how do we clean it off without affecting the clutch itself? i asked if petrol can do the trick but was again told that petrol will harm the clutch and not grip the way it needs to.
Old 26th May 2010, 00:31   #4
Senior - BHPian

Use brake cleaner spray available in the market. I have had Abro or something once, bought from delhi.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks