Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2010, 22:39   #1

Black Deposit on front tyre rim

I use a Chevy Spark, and i noticed that there is a black deposit on front tyre rim, i do not find a similar deposit on other cars, so i became a bit suspicious or the reason for the same, i guess its the brake pad, but why is it that i do not find similar deposits on other cars plying on the road ?!! Pls help, is this common, or is something wrong somewhere ?
and btw the deposits are easily washable with water, but u need to rub it lightly, just water wont do.

Thanks
Old 31st May 2010, 23:22   #2
BHPian

If these are brake pad dust then take precaution while you wash them, brake pads dust are known to have asbestos which can cause cancer. Use a face mask when you clean so that you don't accidently sniff this dust.

Maybe you are using too much brakes or these dust are something else. Do get the brake pads checked when you go for service next time.
Old 31st May 2010, 23:34   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul153 View Post
...there is a black deposit on front tyre rim, i do not find a similar deposit on other cars...
This is dust from wearing of brake pads, and all cars with front discs will have it. You'll see a visible buildup of dust on the rims after just 100 km of driving in the city. There may be more of this dust
  1. if you use your brakes heavily;
  2. if your rear brakes are not working, and too much load is being placed on the front brakes only;
  3. if your front brakes are jamming/binding, resulting in unnecessary wear. Check if they are overheating - if you can't touch the rims for a second without getting a burn, there's brake binding.
Maybe a trip to the service centre is warranted if you think #2 / #3 is happening.

Maybe your car wash guy isn't doing a good enough job?
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2010, 19:50   #4

for some strange reason, after my servicing, i dont find this dust as much as it used to be earlier, and i even forgot to mention the problem to the servicing guys. but still am a bit curious as to why tis was happening at tis scale, my rear brakesare working fine, but do people really use rear brake that frequently ? i only had to use them while my car is in standstill, i mean, when the car is parked somewhere....
Old 5th June 2010, 06:37   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul153 View Post
for some strange reason, after my servicing, i dont find this dust as much as it used to be earlier, and i even forgot to mention the problem to the servicing guys. but still am a bit curious as to why tis was happening at tis scale, my rear brakesare working fine, but do people really use rear brake that frequently ? i only had to use them while my car is in standstill, i mean, when the car is parked somewhere....
As SS mentioned,the dust is just normal.

In many places where cleaning of cars is not a ritual(like say UAE),you will find the front rims of a dfferent colour than the rear.The reason is brake dust build up

Relax;and don't even talk about this to your service advisor-they'll probably charge you a fee for doing something that is just unwarranted.

Also,in any car,the front and rear brakes actuate hydraulically, simultaneously .

The rear brake has a provision for a mecahnical actuation(handbrake).

Also AFAIK,asbestos is banned in most industries(at least it is in my Company) .
Old 5th June 2010, 07:47   #6
BHPian

Here's another thread that discuss this...
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...rake-pads.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks