Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2010, 13:51   #1
BHPian

My Chevy Cruze broke down! Problem with the turbo hose clip

Cograts on you new car , i do have a cruze at and while driving through Dharapuram ( TN) had a problem of powerloss (Code 84 ) as a result of Clip of turbo hose failed to hold on .

i was stuck in middle of nowhere

Pasting the mail i sent to GM on my ordeals i had to face with the Coimbatore Dealer of General Motors

Dear Sir,

This is to inform you about a break down I faced with My Chevorlet Cruze AT which has done 3500 KMs on date 05/06/2010.

The Chassis Number is MA6JA69DDAH004162, Engine Number is Z20S1331430K, PURCHASE DATE 22/04/2010, VEHICLE NUMBER KL 32 B 5312

Let me elaborate on what happened - While driving, there was a sudden power loss and the engine malfunction light came up and the CODE 84 was displayed.
I stopped the car immediately and called up the dealer Service (Geeyem Motors , cochin), who promptly returned my call. Since my dealer is in Kerala and I was at Dharapuram which is 80 Kms away from Coimbatore during the incident and the nearest service station happens to be in Tirupur, they requested me to use the helpline. I rang up the helpline and informed them about the problem and was assured that I would get a call back within 10 minutes.( Service request Number 12145 ) However, there was no response even after 30 minutes, and I had to resort to calling the nearest dealer which is Anamalais Coimbatore.

The response was ridiculous and frustrating. They informed me that they were not in a position to help me and asked me to contact ERODE dealer. I informed them about the CODE 84, and all other issues. I also informed them that according to the manual it has been advised not to drive the car, but they seemed the least bothered and informed me they will be able to check the car only if it is brought to the dealer workshop.

I was away from my hometown stranded in the middle of nowhere and these people were refusing to send their breakdown assistance.

Now I understand why Geeyem Motors consecutively wins the best dealer service award, because of their umnatched service standards and response to complaints

This is the first time I have purchased a Chevrolet Product and I was feeling really miserable about my decision. If I were in Kerala I am sure that my problem would have been solved.

As the Anamalai response was bad and I did not know anyone in Tamilnadu region, I decided to contact ERODE Dealer Prasanna Motors and I got to speak to Mr. Manivaran, the Service manager of Prasanna Motors. The moment I described the issue, Mr. Manivaran pointed out the possible reason for the trouble - a disconnected hose of the turbo. We checked it out and realized his assumption was spot on. The fact that your Chevy callcentre could neither identify the issue nor call back is not just disheartening to a customer but also puts you in bad light. Since the Erode dealership was a bit far Mr. Manivaran was kind enough to give me the number of the Anamalai Tirupur Service personnel.

The first time I called Mr.Pradeep who is in charge of Tirupur, he also said that he was not in a position to help, which I informed to Mr.Manivaran who immediately connected me on a conference call and spoke to Mr.Pradeep, and informed about the problem and how to rectify it as well. By that time it was around 4 hours after the malfunction. Mr.Pradeep informed me that his facility neither had the capabilities to service a cruze nor the staff to attend a breakdown, but I was in the middle of nowhere and I was left with no option but to drive down to Tirupur which is 50 Kms away from Dharapuram .

Mr. Jayan, the Customer Service Manager and Mr. Arun, the service manager from the dealership in Cochin were in constant touch with me whom I had informed of the situation. They were ready to send a team from Trichur, which is around 250 kms away from Dharapuram. Since I was assured that there was no problem in driving the vehicle, I decided to go to Tirupur.

Once reaching there I understood why Mr.Pradeep was reluctant to help; he is running the show with just one mechanic. The problem turned out to be as Mr.Manivaran had assumed.

The Clip of the turbo valve was not holding onto the hose and was causing all these issues. They were surprised how this clip failed, should be a manufacturing defect. Mr. Arun and Mr. Jayan got in touch with the Coimbatore dealer, who after their much persuasion agreed to help, which was after 7 hours since the incident.
I am really grateful to everyone who helped me from Mr.Arun and Mr.Jayan of Geeyem Motors, Mr.Manivaran whom I have never met but who took real pains in trying to help me and kept in constant touch and who I am sure is technically very sound as he was capable of identifying the problem merely over the phone and advised me not to panic, and Mr.Pradeep of Anamalais Tirupur along with his mechanic Mr. Gomthi, who solved the problem after working for more than 4 hours on it.

Now coming to the fact and a lesson I learnt personally from my experience - General Motors Call centre simply sucks and Your Breakdown assistance is totally unreliable. As a result of a small clip but an integral part of the engine, I had to endure unnecessary tension and I ended up thanking my lucky stars not have taken my family along on this trip.

I have a 5 year old Baleno and I think when I take my family with me in future, I will stick to my faithful Baleno.
The lesson that I learned is this car can be used only in Kerala because we have an extremely good dealer whom we can depend on in case of an issue and who cares for their customers.

General Motors cannot rely on a good car alone to secure the loyalty of their customers. It goes way beyond that, it’s about service, it’s about dependability in trying times. Cars may run into problems but when you don’t have the company offering you much needed service especially in situations like this you will definitely start questioning the customer’s intelligence and patience. Its time you take a page or two out of the Maruti Service History. Or I’ll just have to say a wonderful car like Cruze is maligned just because of its parentage.

I hope to hear what your officials have to say about this.

Thanks and Regards

Brijesh.R.Nair
brijesh1977 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2010, 18:24   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Cograts on you new car , i do have a cruze at and while driving through Dharapuram ( TN) had a problem of powerloss (Code 84 ) as a result of Clip of turbo hose failed to hold on .
========================
Its time you take a page or two out of the Maruti Service History. Or I’ll just have to say a wonderful car like Cruze is maligned just because of its parentage.
Ooops Brijesh,

Iam really surprised and shocked by what you have encountered with your Cruze in TN. A Customer service helpline which fails to help you out when you have a breakdown in the middle of nowhere is like a nightmare. My family has booked the Cruze LTZ MT and is waiting for delivery from Geeyem Motors Kottayam. Now iam in a spot and having second thoughts about going for the same.....

For years we have used Hyundai Vehicles there has been several instances when i got a breakdown in the middle of the night (3am), and the breakdown service reached within 30 mins and fixed it...

Your Instance of getting no help from the customer helpline for a new executive sedan like Cruze is just "Pathetic" Customer service...

I hope GM is listening and do take some action on this!!!

Last edited by Jaggu : 8th June 2010 at 10:28. Reason: Please avoid Quoting entire large post for short reply. Thanks
Old 8th June 2010, 12:59   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brijesh1977 View Post

i was stuck in middle of nowhere
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope to hear what your officials have to say about this.

Thanks and Regards

Brijesh.R.Nair
This is Simply not acceptable.No one could accept such service after spending more than 12 lakhs on a car!!
I really hope GM wakes up.
I never knew that GM had such apocalyptic service.
I was advising a cruze to everyone.But not anymore!!
Old 8th June 2010, 14:53   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Sorry to hear about the problem, Brijesh. I faced a similar problem when rats ate into the turbo hose of my car. Well, she went into limp mode but got us home anyways.

I'm VERY appalled at the poor response from Chevy's helpline.

Quote:
Mr. Arun and Mr. Jayan got in touch with the Coimbatore dealer, who after their much persuasion agreed to help, which was after 7 hours since the incident.
I am really grateful to everyone who helped me from Mr.Arun and Mr.Jayan of Geeyem Motors, Mr.Manivaran whom I have never met but who took real pains in trying to help me and kept in constant touch and who I am sure is technically very sound as he was capable of identifying the problem merely over the phone and advised me not to panic, and Mr.Pradeep of Anamalais Tirupur along with his mechanic Mr. Gomthi, who solved the problem after working for more than 4 hours on it.
Hats off to these guys.

I hope that this incident was a hiccup, and that your Cruze serves you well in the miles to come.
Old 8th June 2010, 15:00   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brijesh1977 View Post
Once reaching there I understood why Mr.Pradeep was reluctant to help; he is running the show with just one mechanic.
This is shocking. How can an authorized GM service center be run with just one mechanic!? And that too in a place like Tirupur which is an industrial hub. Did this happen on a Sunday?

Last edited by Gilead : 8th June 2010 at 15:02.
Old 8th June 2010, 15:29   #6
Senior - BHPian

That's why I like to stick with Maruti or Hyundai (in recent years) where you find garages in almost every town.
Quote:
The moment I described the issue, Mr. Manivaran pointed out the possible reason for the trouble - a disconnected hose of the turbo
Looks like experience is speaking. Doesn't GM logs all these customer complaints or logs? Don't they maintain a knowledge base? If the lady responding from customer service searches the knowledge base, isn't that more than sufficient?

Sorry to hear your experiences @Brijesh. Having spent more than a million on a car that is stranded on the road & all the more you've to bear with the irresponsible GM for selling such a car, its really painful experience.
Old 8th June 2010, 15:35   #7
Senior - BHPian

And did you get any response to your mail.?
Old 8th June 2010, 16:17   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Sorry to hear about the problem, Brijesh. I faced a similar problem when rats ate into the turbo hose of my car. Well, she went into limp mode but got us home anyways.

Hats off to these guys.

I hope that this incident was a hiccup, and that your Cruze serves you well in the miles to come.
>>> GTO,
What exactly is limp mode? Doe sit mean low revs, very low torque generation due to turbo malfunction and hence to be driven in lower gears?

Please explain.

The general customer service quality is disturbing, although there are individuals who have provided exemplary support, out of the system.

Regards
Old 8th June 2010, 16:50   #9
Senior - BHPian

Limp mode usually restricts the engine to low revs and speed so that the engine is saved from (major) damage.
Old 8th June 2010, 18:03   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
This is shocking. How can an authorized GM service center be run with just one mechanic!? And that too in a place like Tirupur which is an industrial hub. Did this happen on a Sunday?
no on a saturday , i beleive anamalais are quite infamous for their service

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Hats off to these guys.

thanks GTO, i guess i was depending on the wrong dealer (Anamalais Coimbatore ) as i mentioned the Erode service manager and My home service team was constantly monitoring the developments .

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharathnair View Post
Ooops Brijesh,

Iam really surprised and shocked by what you have encountered with your Cruze in TN. A Customer service helpline which fails to help you out when you have a breakdown in the middle of nowhere is like a nightmare. My family has booked the Cruze LTZ MT and is waiting for delivery from Geeyem Motors Kottayam. Now iam in a spot and having second thoughts about going for the same.....

For years we have used Hyundai Vehicles there has been several instances when i got a breakdown in the middle of the night (3am), and the breakdown service reached within 30 mins and fixed it...

Your Instance of getting no help from the customer helpline for a new executive sedan like Cruze is just "Pathetic" Customer service...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
And did you get any response to your mail.?
Yes i had sent the mail to everyone in GM , The person in charge of Kerala gto back to me within 30 minutes after the mail was sent and i was assured that severe action will be taken , and i really hope they do that

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharathnair View Post
Ooops Brijesh,

don,t worry Sarath,
With geeyem motors in kottayam you are in absolute safe hands and by the way Cruze is a wonderful vehicle.
Vehicles can run into trouble , i really don,t mind that but then if there is proper help line , it is quite reassuring .

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
That's why I like to stick with Maruti or Hyundai (in recent years) where you find garages in almost every town.

Looks like experience is speaking. Doesn't GM logs all these customer complaints or logs? Don't they maintain a knowledge base? If the lady responding from customer service searches the knowledge base, isn't that more than sufficient?

Sorry to hear your experiences @Brijesh. Having spent more than a million on a car that is stranded on the road & all the more you've to bear with the irresponsible GM for selling such a car, its really painful experience.
thank you argee , i hope GM does something to improve their service and breakdown helpline

Last edited by GTO : 9th June 2010 at 13:33. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Old 8th June 2010, 18:38   #11
BANNED

It is got something to do with the way dealerships are appointed . I was trying to get a dealership for GM vehicles and I understand that there are various levels of dealership . One which has facilities for Optra , Beat , Cruze and the other ones which do general servicing . May be that is why the Tiruppur dealership had only 1 mechanic and i think that is why they have reffered you to someother dealership .

For warranty repairs and for cruze it has to be done at the first level dealerships .
Old 8th June 2010, 19:36   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Mr. Jayan, the Customer Service Manager and Mr. Arun, the service manager from the dealership in Cochin were in constant touch with me whom I had informed of the situation. They were ready to send a team from Trichur, which is around 250 kms away from Dharapuram. Since I was assured that there was no problem in driving the vehicle, I decided to go to Tirupur.
Hats off to these guys... !!!! . With guys like these at GM Service, GM customers are in safe hands in kerala... Would make it a point to meet them if i drop into Geeyem Motors in Cochin.
Old 9th June 2010, 13:35   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
>>> GTO,
What exactly is limp mode?
As Pranav posted, the revv limit is significantly lowered when the engine switches to "limp home" mode. Example : My car wouldn't go over 3,000 rpm. I can tell you it was very frustrating on the ghats & expressway
Old 9th June 2010, 15:41   #14
BHPian

Anamalais disappoints as always. Was the clip fixed or replaced ?

God save Coimbatore ! these guys have Chevy, Toyota and Mitsubishi under their belt and they consistently s.
Old 9th June 2010, 21:35   #15
BHPian

Hi Brijesh,

Did you hear from GM again after that?. Did they tell you about what "strict" action they have taken against annamalai's or the helpline execs?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks