Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2010, 00:49   #1

Punto frequent clutch slave cylinder problem

I have a 6 month old Punto 1.4 petrol. Last month, my clutch suddenly went completely dead, and had to change the slave cylinder kit (free under warranty). The problem has re-occurred within a month, and the kit replaced yet again under warranty. I might add that the gear sometimes feels very reluctant when being put into reverse and has to be forced into the slot (this continues even after above repair).
Please help (before problem re-occurs yet again).
Old 9th August 2013, 17:14   #2
BHPian

Re: Punto frequent clutch slave cylinder problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketan_kunde View Post
I have a 6 month old Punto 1.4 petrol. Last month, my clutch suddenly went completely dead, and had to change the slave cylinder kit (free under warranty). The problem has re-occurred within a month, and the kit replaced yet again under warranty. I might add that the gear sometimes feels very reluctant when being put into reverse and has to be forced into the slot (this continues even after above repair).
Please help (before problem re-occurs yet again).
My 1.4 punto's clutch suddenly went flat. It was as if it lost all ressitance. luckily I was slow and so could get the car to the side and call the RSA. It was just a sudden incident with no problems noticed until it just happened. I do recollect that the gear felt a bit tight that day. Is this the same issue as yours. I am awaiting details from the service centre. Its my first major issue in the last 2 and a half years.
Old 9th August 2013, 20:47   #3
BHPian

Hi guys,
I think this is a common problem with fiats. Please try to replace both clutch master cyl. & sleeve cyl. at the same time. Last week i just replaced sleeve cyl on palio, but results were not satisfactory. So replaced master cyl. also & problem was solved.
Old 10th August 2013, 10:36   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijitl View Post
Hi guys,
I think this is a common problem with fiats. Please try to replace both clutch master cyl. & sleeve cyl. at the same time. Last week i just replaced sleeve cyl on palio, but results were not satisfactory. So replaced master cyl. also & problem was solved.
As of now my car is at the service centre. Wouldnt FIAT replace both on failure or are you suggesting that I inisist both be changed? I am not sure how or why they would agree. Can you give me more details about your case. I am very disturbed by this failure because it was so sudden. Its unnacceptable that such problems seem very common.
Old 11th August 2013, 11:23   #5
BHPian

got my slave cylinder replaced. fortune motors at first gave me a bill claiming that my car was out of warranty. I then explained to them that I still have an extended warranty and it must be covered. They then made me wait while they discussed among themselves in hushed tones. Then they checked my vehicle history and informed me that my extended warranty has lapsed because i didnt do my third service on time. having had enough of being nice and courteous all along I lost my temper and threw a fit. I have serviced my car at fortune all along ( purely because of no other alternative) . They have my entire service history. All my services were as per the stipulated times. It was clear they were trying their best to pressure me into paying. Having had similar experiences with them during the previous service I had ensured that this time I was always in touch directly with FIAT. To FIAT's credit they kept me in the loop right from the time they towed my vehicle to fortune. I was clearly informed there would be no charges for changing the slave cylinder as well as towing. So I put my foot down at Fortune and told them I will not give a penny and that I want to talk to someone from FIAT. All my yelling and fuming got the attention of a few other customers and soon they had another hushed meeting. I overheard one of them say lets just load it onto one of the vehicles that are there for service. After a few minutes I was informed that I would have a zero bill. I grabbed my car and left convinced I will never set foot in fortune again. They are very unprofessional with no ethics.
Old 11th August 2013, 12:27   #6
BHPian

I had a few queries , how do I know if they replaced the plastic rod inside the slave cylinder with the metal one? I did read somewhere that even some 2011 models had plastic rods inside. Does this mean they still manufacture the plastic ones? I have lost complete faith in fortune so I am worried they just replaced with some old part. The bill doesn't mention the spare part number.
Old 12th August 2013, 13:54   #7
BHPian

Now TATA is going out of picture regarding Fiat so if you have taken the car to a TASS then they might have replaced the clutch part with the plastic part which they have it as old stock.
why i suspect this because in my car the pollen filter for ac was replaced with a paper pollen filter which was taken off from Indian vehicle due to less airflow caused due to dust accumulation due to indian conditions. this was done after launching linea with in one year in India. In my car for my previous service the pollen filer was mesh filter. but in my 30k service i got the old standard paper filer. so the TASS had old stock of this paper filer so they are now selling it to users.
So in your case the TASS might have replaced the clutch part with the plastic one. this is only my assumption according to the situation prevailing. To confirm this you need to be present when the work is done so that you cans see the parts. If you have any FIAT service station do visit them to check and solve this issue.

Regarding Reverse gear it is little difficult to engage it, its the same in Linea and Punto. the best thing what you can do is to release and engage clutch two times before you engage the reverse gear. I too face this issue and i have checked with other owners and they too had this issue with the reverse gear. this is now an issue but its like that. some issues we have to live with it

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks