Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2010, 10:54   #1
BHPian

Safari 4x4 coolant drying up

Hi,

Past 2 months facing major issue with my Safari 4*4 2.2 VTT....coolent dries up in about a week below minimum level..concorde checked twice but no leakage found...now they topped up again and asked me to drive for 15 days then will recheck again...( i drive not more than 25 kms avg daily )

Need suggestions / advice..

Last edited by Eddy : 15th June 2010 at 11:13. Reason: Not more than two smilies per post.
Old 15th June 2010, 11:14   #2
Team-BHP Support

Cousin's Safarhi had the same problem. After many failed diagnosis, the culprit was found to be the radiator cap. Please get it checked.
Eddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2010, 11:43   #3
Senior - BHPian

Is it the colorless coolant they are using? Leaks are less obvious to spot with this variety. There has to be a leak somewhere
Old 15th June 2010, 12:01   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Is it the colorless coolant they are using? Leaks are less obvious to spot with this variety. There has to be a leak somewhere
its greenish blue, i too checked as i park on a cemented floor, but no leakage found. As eddy suggested will get the radiator cap checked.
Old 15th June 2010, 12:08   #5
BANNED

Check the cap, not only of the radiator but also the coolant bottle as well. You could also replace the coolant with the green one that could help spot leaks. Any signs of engine overheating?
Old 15th June 2010, 12:23   #6
BHPian

no signs of overheating .. ( although not been to long stretches in past two months )
Old 15th June 2010, 12:44   #7
BHPian

I had same issue and I could not figure out for over 6 months... one day saw white spots/residue in engine bay and then saw a very minor leakage in a black valve behind intercooler...they call it top valve i guess...the cost was Rs450 and was replaced in warranty..

Please do the chk the engine bay yet again without the engine cap and see if you can notice white spots somewhere thats the driied coolant...the leakages are not that big that u can see on the floor... Mine was dripping 1 drop every 2-3 kms and the thing was getting dried up every month.

TASS could not diagnose for me as well :-( until i did...and one more thing...for any leakage..none of those m-seals etc will work....i tried that all but in vein

Rajeev
Old 15th June 2010, 14:47   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundeepg71 View Post
no signs of overheating .. ( although not been to long stretches in past two months )
How long does it take for the coolant to say, drain to half its capacity if the vehicle is being driven? Also, what happens if you park it over night? Does it still reduce? If yes, then there is certainly a leak which could be easily traced.
Old 15th June 2010, 16:57   #9
BHPian

Checked radiator and coolant bottle caps..they seem to be ok.( Coolant gets dried up in about 10 - 15 days )....Sure as suggested will check for coolant level while i park overnight.
Old 15th June 2010, 19:22   #10
Senior - BHPian

As suggested check for white marks around the piping. One area which gets left out is the water pump.

I am not sure of the year of your purchase and also if it has gone through the retro fitment, but if not and retro is required, you need to get the leakage checked by asking them to open the timing belt cover and checking for white marks inside and the water pump seal.
Old 15th June 2010, 20:12   #11
Senior - BHPian

Please check thoroughly for the radiator cap, hoses and even the piping for heater.

I too had the same problem in my Bolero and it was found out to be a small crack in the liner because of which M&M changed my engine.

Please don't take lightly and if ASC is not able to fix it, contact TM directly
Old 14th July 2010, 16:18   #12
BHPian

Safari 4X4 coolant drying up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Please check thoroughly for the radiator cap, hoses and even the piping for heater.

I too had the same problem in my Bolero and it was found out to be a small crack in the liner because of which M&M changed my engine.

Please don't take lightly and if ASC is not able to fix it, contact TM directly
Vehicle landed again at concorde yesterday after I had checked multiple times and the problem persisted...just got a call that the it is cause of faulty water/coolent pump....they are asking me 6k..
Old 15th July 2010, 06:45   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Vehicle landed again at concorde yesterday after I had checked multiple times and the problem persisted...just got a call that the it is cause of faulty water/coolent pump....they are asking me 6k..
If your vehicle is 2-3 months old, do not, I repeat DO NOT pay anything as it is under warranty. Contact TM Customer Care directly.
Old 15th July 2010, 08:36   #14
BANNED

Hi Sundeep,
Do let me know if you are not satisfied with Concorde, Bangalore. I know quite a few people there and can come with you if you feel the need.
Old 15th July 2010, 11:38   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As I predicted, the seal is the culprit here and if under warranty they will replace the whole pump under warranty. Ask them to avail warranty as this was supposed to be changed in the retrofitments and is a known faulty part.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks