Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2010, 16:15   #1
BHPian

HVAC/Air Conditioner Pollen Filter - Where is it placed in Fiesta?

Searched about this in the forum ..did not found much info regarding this. Hence the thread.
---------------------

Went for my 6mths/10K 2nd free service for my Fiesta SXI (Dec 09 make).

Was particular about replacing any & all filters as far as the A/C is concerned. Little paranoid about this..at my home also, keep on vaccumming those every week.

The fiesta user manual recommends this to be replaced every 6mths/10K kms as well.

However, the a.s.s guys were clueless about this. Please refer to my earlier post in Gilead's thread for some more details regarding the interaction.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1938079

NOW, WHAT I WANT TO KNOW IS THIS:

1. How many filters are there in Fiesta, which is directly related/connected to A/C / HVAC system and its functioning?

2. If there are more than one, where are they placed?

3. Is the cabin filter & pollen filter one & same thing?

If not in Fiesta, what about other hatches/sedans?

Examples of pollen filter
Pollen filter / cabin filter for FORD Fiesta 02 >
How to Change the Cabin Air Filter in a Toyota - wikiHow
http://www.billswebspace.com/cabinfiltervwmkiv.pdf
POLLEN CABIN FILTER FORD FIESTA MK6 1.4 DIESEL 02 ON: MAH-D-LAK169-A Doctor Car Parts
How to remove & replace the cabin air filter to a MINI Cooper | Video « Wonder How To
Old 16th June 2010, 16:31   #2
BHPian

I have no clue about the Fiesta but in my Octy the pollen filter is placed near the passenger side bottom of the windshield. It is tricky replacement as quite a few people have had their windshields cracked while replacing it. I got the filter replaced 2 months ago while getting the car serviced.

Also I do not think that a car in that range (say around 10L) has more than one pollen filter. Also I do think that both the pollen filter and the cabin filter are one and the same.

IMO in any case information regarding its location has to be there in your user manual.
Old 16th June 2010, 17:03   #3
Senior - BHPian

I've no clue either. But I do know that Ford India had asked dealers to remove the AC filter around a year and half ago as I believe it was a bit noisy.

But later, when I went to the dealer after a few months, they installed a new one. I think it is working fine---I thought even the earlier one was fine. But I do remember the SA telling me that the old one was made of paper and noisy, but the new one is made of some harder material and more durable.

Last edited by vnabhi : 16th June 2010 at 17:10.
Old 16th June 2010, 18:35   #4
BHPian

@Cesc, seem like replacement is a laborius one, and hence the reluctance on the part of a.s.s to do anything unless absolutely necessary.

I am still gathering info on this.

Vnabhi, I have been fed similar stuff by the SA.

The plot however thickens:
====
According to sources Ford has not undertaken any recall action on Ford Fiesta and is not replacing any AC Thermostats as stated in the report earlier.
The program is a customer satisfaction improvement programme (CSI) for optimization of the cooling performance by offering a change in filter in air conditioner for enhancing cooling, if the customer desires. It is an optional program and customers may decide to take it or not.
======
Source: FordFiesta recall a customer satisfaction improvement programme | Goa On Wheels

I remember having reading in forums over here regarding thermostat replacement programme, but the above excerpt gives it a new twist.

Took my car again to fit the loose compartment where the filter was replaced. The SA (Rajesh) apparently was armed with better info now. This is what he said:

There is indeed multiple filter systems...

- the one depicted in the picture I posted is the cabin filter (this is basically used to filter the cabin air when re-circulation mode is on). This looks like a normal home window a/c filter.

- Other multiple-layer filter system is situated outside. Once the bonnet is opened, just below the windscreen, there is cover with air-intake slots. The air filters are supposed to be beneath this. I am told that it is a combination of fibre & charcoal filters and is activated only when fresh-air mode is on. Apparently, this used to be paper based earlier, but becos of high noise level and less durability, Ford has gone in for the new design.

When I asked him, whatever convoluted the design is, if a filter is cleaning exterior air intake, it is bound to get dirty and needs to be cleaned or replaced periodically. To which his answer was, not necessary, since this filter is used in fresh-air mode only, and anyways, fresh-air mode is used only 1% of the time. Hence, when every 2-3 yrs, the evaporator coil is cleaned, at that time, the filters also will be cleaned. Well - this made sense to me.

Question :
- How do I know which one is mine? Forgot to ask about this to the SA?
- As it is, blower position 3 is noisy and 4 is un-bearable - noisewise..If Ford indeed has gone in for a new design/technique to reduce noise levels, maybe the Fiesta owners in the last 6-9 months may enquire about it and get the same replaced.

Other Fiesta-owners-Can u guys check what story your a.s.s has to say on this?
Old 16th June 2010, 19:00   #5
BHPian

Apparently the exterior a/c filter is situated below this (arrow indicated) - as referred in my previous post.
HVAC/Air Conditioner  Pollen Filter - Where is it placed in Fiesta?-fiesta_ac_filter.jpg

Note: This is the picture posted by a new Fiesta owner (Amit)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1939073
Old 16th August 2012, 12:01   #6
BHPian

Re: HVAC/Air Conditioner Pollen Filter - Where is it placed in Fiesta?

air filter in most of the cars are behind the glove box, you need to take out cglove box which is very. you can watch a video on you tube.
Old 16th August 2012, 18:07   #7
BHPian

Ford has the same concept in the Ikon as well- the exterior intake filter is under the bonnet on the passenger side. I still haven't gotten down to look for the interior one.
Old 3rd October 2013, 09:32   #8
BHPian

One of my friend owns a Ikon TDCi & needs to know where the pollen filter is? Can anyone guide on how to access that?
Old 11th May 2015, 18:48   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM2488 View Post
Ford has the same concept in the Ikon as well- the exterior intake filter is under the bonnet on the passenger side. I still haven't gotten down to look for the interior one.
Hello RM2488,

Please could you describe this with a few pictures, if you still have the Ikon or some in-depth explanation? Also, is there a cabin air filter in the Ikon?
Old 11th May 2015, 20:47   #10
BANNED

Guys,

Just check this video out for the replacement of the pollen filter in the Fiesta.

Should be similar to the one shown in the video.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2015, 21:28   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Guys,

Just check this video out for the replacement of the pollen filter in the Fiesta.

http://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=uwCbhByUS30

Should be similar to the one shown in the video.
I tried this after seeing this video. The filter that came in my fiesta is different. Its one with a plastic frame all around, with a mesh filter and I was not successful in removing this as the fuse box came in the way. The best I could do was to clean the portion that came out which was about 60%. The one you see in the video is a flexible one which could be taken out easily.
Now, if you drive thru a lot of dusty conditions, then the cabin filter gets clogged pretty easily. This was once clogged for me and there was almost no throw from the AC vents even at speed 4. Changing the filter made a world of difference. This is inspected every 20k kms and replacing this would set you back by about Rs 600 change.
Old 12th May 2015, 19:59   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
I tried this after seeing this video. The filter that came in my fiesta is different. Its one with a plastic frame all around, with a mesh filter and I was not successful in removing this as the fuse box came in the way. The best I could do was to clean the portion that came out which was about 60%. The one you see in the video is a flexible one which could be taken out easily.
Wish I could get hands on a Fiesta here in Hyderabad so that I could check about its location and cleaning procedure for a DIY.
Old 31st May 2015, 10:46   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navsjab View Post
Hello RM2488,

Please could you describe this with a few pictures, if you still have the Ikon or some in-depth explanation? Also, is there a cabin air filter in the Ikon?
Sorry for the late reply. I never found a cabin filter in the Ikon. As far as the exterior intake is concerned, it is on the passenger side when you open the engine bay, just under the wiper. It's like a long and narrow black box, with a lid that comes off. I have actually added a wire mesh to it because mice would get in and ruin the filter. I'll add pictures when I can, but it's not that difficult to find.
RM2488 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2015, 10:51   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM2488 View Post
Sorry for the late reply. I never found a cabin filter in the Ikon. As far as the exterior intake is concerned, it is on the passenger side when you open the engine bay, just under the wiper. It's like a long and narrow black box, with a lid that comes off. I have actually added a wire mesh to it because mice would get in and ruin the filter. I'll add pictures when I can, but it's not that difficult to find.
Thanks RM2488, I got it from the pictures given earlier. There seems to be a place good enough for a filter but there was nothing there. The wire mesh is a good idea
Old 30th September 2015, 14:30   #15

Hi, Its my first post, please pardon me for unknown mistakes.

I had changed the cabin air filter (pollen filter) in my Fiesta zxi (2010). Its in the same place as shown in the video posted above. Passenger side near by the floor. Its not a paper filter, its more like a Ac filter that we find in the regular split ac, but 2 layers of it. To change it, remove the glove box and the plastic covering piece of the passenger leg air flow vents. The fuse box Must be removed (not that difficult .. just 2 screws i guess) to get the filter out properly. Remove the plastic filter after taking off the black plastic covering (sleek plastic cover) and clean it with fresh water and soap if required (mine was fully clogged). Make sure you dry it properly before putting it back. The best part is that it makes a lot of difference and its totally reusable (unlike the paper filters).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks