Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2010, 20:11   #1
BHPian

Elantra rare noise (hissing noise) Please help!!

Hi Experts,

I own 2005 model elantra and was driven only 35000 KM. It's being serviced at Talwar hyundai.

I replaced the clutch 2 months back.Here are few issues I observed.
When I check with the service engineer he says it's perfectly fine.

It will be great If any experts can help me out.

When I release clutch a little bit jerk kind of noise coming.When I peddle the accelator hissing sound is coming.It generally comes at certain speed.After that it disappears. I checked out the hissing sound post when the temparature is below 22 degrees.In my case this sound is coming irrespective of out side temparature. I tried system G.but no use.

I have taken the vehicle to local mechanic.He said belts and clutch are fine may be the problem with Exhaust pipe leakage. Can you guys help me in get rid of this noise

Does Clutch replacement will affect in mileage?

Improper mounting while clutch replacement will cause any issues? If so what could be the best way to find them.

One more problem, there is noise is coming from rear. I got replaced the shocks.Still i am getting some kind of unusual noise from rear.Let me know if any of you experienced same. FYI my rear tyres become hard it is the reason?

Can you suggest any good elantra mechanic/service station in hyderabad.

Last edited by Jaggu : 21st June 2010 at 20:48. Reason: Please post in relevant sub section. Thanks
Old 21st June 2010, 21:39   #2
Senior - BHPian

For noise diagnostic, one has to be with the vehicle and able to listen to it. Its very diffucult to diagnose such noises on forums, unless someone has already faced it and know what is it.
Old 22nd June 2010, 08:08   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manne View Post
Hi Experts,

I own 2005 model elantra and was driven only 35000 KM. It's being serviced at Talwar hyundai.

I replaced the clutch 2 months back.Here are few issues I observed.
When I check with the service engineer he says it's perfectly fine.

It will be great If any experts can help me out.

When I release clutch a little bit jerk kind of noise coming.When I peddle the accelator hissing sound is coming.It generally comes at certain speed.After that it disappears. I checked out the hissing sound post when the temparature is below 22 degrees.In my case this sound is coming irrespective of out side temparature. I tried system G.but no use.

I have taken the vehicle to local mechanic.He said belts and clutch are fine may be the problem with Exhaust pipe leakage. Can you guys help me in get rid of this noise

Improper mounting while clutch replacement will cause any issues? If so what could be the best way to find them.

One more problem, there is noise is coming from rear. I got replaced the shocks.Still i am getting some kind of unusual noise from rear.Let me know if any of you experienced same. FYI my rear tyres become hard it is the reason?

Can you suggest any good elantra mechanic/service station in hyderabad.
The hissing sound may be due to vaccum leakage. Check that all the air pipes coming from the filter to the intake manifold are connected properly. Also check if the PCV hoses leading to the intake manifold are not leaking outside air.

You should get good mileage after clutch replacement, since the engins does not have to be revved as hard to get to a certain speed.
But, if the clutch has not been aligned properly, then the car will not perform as well, plus you will get vibrations at the clutch pedal & clutch judder will occur.

The noises at the rear will need to be checked out by ear. If it is a squeaking noise, maybe your anti-roll bar bushings or other bushings need replacing.
Old 22nd June 2010, 09:14   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Did you get the clutch release bearing changed at the time of clutch overhaul? It might be making the noise. Get the car checked at some Hyundai Authorised workshop, they are best guys to handle a not so common car like Elantra. Do not trust a roadside mechanic with your car.

If your previous clutch was changed because the clutch plate was worn out the car with newer clutch plate will offer better mileage. If the clutch job was done due to some other issues like flywheel or pressure plate do not expect an improvement in mileage.

35k kms is too early for a clutch overhaul in Elantra, it usually lasts 60k.

The advantage of getting the work done from authorised workshops is they know their job pretty well and the chances of misfits and poor quality jobs are lesser compared to independent workshops. Just my 2 cent.
Old 22nd June 2010, 14:44   #5
BHPian

Thanks for the Inputs.Can any one experienced the same problem with a leakage in exhaugst pipe.Mechanic was saying like may be problem with Exhaust.
Old 24th June 2010, 00:16   #6
BHPian

There may be holes in the muffler, if you suspect it is the exhaust making noise. As Anshuman mentioned, do get a check up from an authorised Hyundai workshop. It will save you a LOT of bother. Premium Hyundai cars like the Elantra cannot be easily repaired by roadside mechanics.

Also, after 4 years, your timing belt also needs to be changed (forget the kilometers). If it breaks up when the car is running you are in for a couple of lakhs of repair bills! You are already a year overdue!
Old 24th June 2010, 15:02   #7
BHPian

Thanks all for the Inputs.The car is driven only 35000 km.I checked with Authorized service centre and asked them for timing belt replacement at the time of clutch repair.They said it's fine till 80,000 km irrespective of years.

Advice me should i need to change the timing belt?
Old 24th June 2010, 15:11   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1self View Post
...Also, after 4 years, your timing belt also needs to be changed (forget the kilometers)...
...Are you sure about this?

Quote:
...The car is driven only 35000 km.I checked with Authorized service centre and asked them for timing belt replacement at the time of clutch repair.They said it's fine till 80,000 km irrespective of years.

If the car has been used regularly, and the engine oil and oil filters have been changed regularly, then there should be no need to change the timing belt at 35K kms in any vehicle.
Old 27th June 2010, 15:56   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks all for the Inputs.The car is driven only 35000 km.I checked with Authorized service centre and asked them for timing belt replacement at the time of clutch repair.They said it's fine till 80,000 km irrespective of years.

I am an enthusiastic driver & the A.S.S. guys here know my style of driving. They told me about this. Also, the shop manual of the Elantra says this. So, to be on the safe side, i changed mine last year (2006 model), even though i still haven't done 30000 kms!

Hey it's your car...so up to you!
Old 28th June 2010, 09:24   #10
BHPian

How much this timing belt change costed you?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks