Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2010, 23:05   #1
BHPian

Screeching belt and Lazy Tacho.

Hi all,

I have a 2007 Tata indica Turbo DLG. All smooth and fine except minor hiccups. Had a broken fanbelt last Nov on the way back from Goa, got it fixed by a roadside chap, then came back and got it replaced at TASC.
Now for the past week, I get the typical screech at startup, the duration the
screech lasts is increasing progressively each day ( was around 10 sec is almost a min now). More worrying, on startup,the tacho is stuck at 700 rpm, irrespective of any revving, till the screeching stops, then lunges to show actual rpm, the car also surges when this happens. At idle there is a mild screech audible. Also a grinding feeling in the steering whenever i turn it more than 1/2 circle - the power steering fluid is fine, the low pressure pipes were changed 4 months ago, what could be the problem? ( was assuming steering pump - but problem is intermittent and not consistant). Showed
it to TASC and they said fan belt replace. But how will that effect the Tacho?
And what about the grinding noise?
Any inputs / suggestions gurus?
Thanks
Shiv
2007 DLGTCIC, 39000km, 12kmpl 90% city and 90% AC.
Old 23rd June 2010, 00:38   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clix22 View Post
Hi all,

I have a 2007 Tata indica Turbo DLG. All smooth and fine except minor hiccups. Had a broken fanbelt last Nov on the way back from Goa, got it fixed by a roadside chap, then came back and got it replaced at TASC.
Now for the past week, I get the typical screech at startup, the duration the
screech lasts is increasing progressively each day ( was around 10 sec is almost a min now). More worrying, on startup,the tacho is stuck at 700 rpm, irrespective of any revving, till the screeching stops, then lunges to show actual rpm, the car also surges when this happens. At idle there is a mild screech audible. Also a grinding feeling in the steering whenever i turn it more than 1/2 circle - the power steering fluid is fine, the low pressure pipes were changed 4 months ago, what could be the problem? ( was assuming steering pump - but problem is intermittent and not consistant). Showed
it to TASC and they said fan belt replace. But how will that effect the Tacho?
And what about the grinding noise?
Any inputs / suggestions gurus?
Thanks
Shiv
2007 DLGTCIC, 39000km, 12kmpl 90% city and 90% AC.
In most cars the Tacho reads the engine RPM from Alternator. Since your fan belt is old and when the belt is cold, its not passing the entire Revs to the Alternator thereby reducing its RPM. A new belt will pass the motion with higher efficiency and your tacho also will read the correct reading.
Old 23rd June 2010, 13:37   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
In most cars the Tacho reads the engine RPM from Alternator. Since your fan belt is old and when the belt is cold, its not passing the entire Revs to the Alternator thereby reducing its RPM. A new belt will pass the motion with higher efficiency and your tacho also will read the correct reading.
Replaced the belts Just 2000km / 6 months ago. From an authorized service station. Any ideas?
Old 23rd June 2010, 13:49   #4
BHPian

Clix22, Can you explain the grinding sound from the steering a bit more. Are you getting the grinding sound when turn to the left/right and move the car, if so this could be due to damaged drive shaft. If you get the sound when you turn the steering without moving your ca, then this should have to do something with you steering box.
Old 23rd June 2010, 17:14   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clix22 View Post
Replaced the belts Just 2000km / 6 months ago. From an authorized service station. Any ideas?
The noise is because the belt has hardened. Can be due to defective piece.
Old 23rd June 2010, 21:51   #6
Senior - BHPian

fan belt in the indica = alternator belt. Live with the sound. It will go away if you tighten it, but too much tightening = broken belt.

it gets worse if the belt gets wet. Do you park in an area where there is rain/can be condensation of any sort?

tacho problem seems to be somewhat related.

I've got an indica TCIC of about the same vintage and mileage. getting the steering noises too. I've been told that I'll need a steering job too, but not yet
Old 24th June 2010, 10:32   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElantraGT View Post
Clix22, Can you explain the grinding sound from the steering a bit more. Are you getting the grinding sound when turn to the left/right and move the car, if so this could be due to damaged drive shaft. If you get the sound when you turn the steering without moving your ca, then this should have to do something with you steering box.
The sound is like 2 parts rubbing against one another. There is a vibration in the steering wheel too, when this happens. More pronounced at start and turn wheel to get out of parking ( 45 degrees , not full lock). Might be a good idea to run to the TASC before my ext warranty runs out.....Thanks GT
Old 24th June 2010, 10:34   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
fan belt in the indica = alternator belt. Live with the sound. It will go away if you tighten it, but too much tightening = broken belt.

it gets worse if the belt gets wet. Do you park in an area where there is rain/can be condensation of any sort?

tacho problem seems to be somewhat related.

I've got an indica TCIC of about the same vintage and mileage. getting the steering noises too. I've been told that I'll need a steering job too, but not yet
Yes, Its worse when wet, will ask serv centre to take a look at the belt. Thank you greenhorn.
Old 24th June 2010, 11:59   #9
BHPian

Hi Clix,
Get the belt replaced. Look for a branded one like Gates or Fenner. Ensure proper tension on the belt. The same belt drives the Power steering pump also. Might be the pump is ineffective due to a loose belt. Try to depress the belt with the thumb. The belt should not move beyond 10 mm
The alternator gives the engine rpm signal. As a result not only the tacho, your turbo will also not respond properly. Turbo kicks in & out based on engine rpm. You should have faced pick up issues too. Investigate your steering system after replacing the belt.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks