Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2010, 05:07   #1

High Pitched sound from my Civic during braking ?

Hi All,

I don't know if this has been discussed in the past (couldn't find a relevant thread) and if it has, please direct me to the correct thread!

Anyway, here goes - I own a 2008 Civic AT and I've been stumped with a high pitched squealing sound emanating from my wheels during braking. I've complained about it during every service to Capital Honda in Chennai but the problem re-surfaces after a few days.

Suspecting the braking system, they have removed the wheels and cleaned the discs, changed the pads and even polished the discs but the noise keeps returning.

I had changed the alloys as soon as I bought the car,upgrading the rim size to 16". The dealer who sold me the alloys had installed an aluminum "sleeve" ring during fitment to ensure a proper fit even though the PCD was correct. He assured me that this would not have any side effects but when I noticed this noise, I immediately checked with Capital Honda if this could be the culprit and they re-assured me that it wasn't.

If the alloys are fine and the brakes in good shape, what could the problem be?

Does any other member have a similar problem? Would really appreciate some feedback/advice from the experts.
Old 28th June 2010, 16:03   #2
BHPian

I had a similar problem in my civic AT, but mine went away when the pads were changed and the disks "bled" or something. My brakes had completely work out at that point. (40k kms)
Old 28th June 2010, 16:20   #3
BHPian

the high pitch squeal usually comes when the brake pads are worn out and the noise is the wear indicator.
check the brake pads again.
Old 28th June 2010, 16:32   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysideup View Post
I had changed the alloys as soon as I bought the car,upgrading the rim size to 16". The dealer who sold me the alloys had installed an aluminum "sleeve" ring during fitment to ensure a proper fit even though the PCD was correct. He assured me that this would not have any side effects but when I noticed this noise, I immediately checked with Capital Honda if this could be the culprit and they re-assured me that it wasn't.

If the alloys are fine and the brakes in good shape, what could the problem be?
The ring that the dealer installed with the alloys are called spacers. Ideally if your brake pads are changed and there is no scoring on the Disc, then the squeeking sound should not be there. Did you feel a jitter on the pedals while you break or does this high pitch sound occurs ever time you apply brakes.

I had a similar problem in elantra and found that front pads were gone for a taska nd i promptly changed the pads. It took care of the issue for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holysmoke View Post
I had a similar problem in my civic AT, but mine went away when the pads were changed and the disks "bled" or something. My brakes had completely work out at that point. (40k kms)
Its brake line bleeding. This is needed when you change your brake oil. This will ensure that there is no Air bubbles left in the line. If air bubbles are there, then the brake will not be effective and in some cases people will feel the brake pedals being spongy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap_deal View Post
the high pitch squeal usually comes when the brake pads are worn out and the noise is the wear indicator.
There yo go buddy. This is exactly my thoughts too, but I would leave it to the Civic owners to respond if this is something specific to civic.
Old 28th June 2010, 16:38   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap_deal View Post
Hi,

That wouldbe one of the last reasons. Squealing sound can come for numerous reasons. Giving below some of the common reasons

1> brake dust
2> pads becoming hard
3> mild rust on rotors
4> pad compound
5> lines/scoring on disc
6> dirt/small stones stuck in pads

etc etc.

Viper
Old 29th June 2010, 00:28   #6

Thanks Cheap deal, ElantraGT and Viper for your input, but as mentioned in my first post, the Honda guys have already checked the brakes, changed the pads and even polished the discs - but still no change.

Also I have been getting this noise right from the beginning, when the car was brand new! Am frustrated!!

I don't think that they have bled the brakes though; do you think that I should give it a try? No other complaints about the brakes though - all the constant attention because of the noise has ensured that they are in superb condition otherwise!
Old 29th June 2010, 03:04   #7
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

If you have been getting the sound since 2008, why didn't you ask Honda for an official reason and/or an undertaking that they have known of this problem? They will wash their hands off this the moment your warranty runs out.

The noise is not because the lines are not bled. #6 of what Viper said seems to be quite probable IMO. Get that checked. And remove the spacer if it's not fixing any problem or enhancing anything.
Old 29th June 2010, 09:20   #8
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Hi Sunny

How much KM has you car done ? Is it still on its original set of pads ?
Most probably the squeal is from the wear indicator on the pad touching the disc. It will be more so from the front when you drive with the windows open as thats the way the brake system tells you when its time to get the pads changed.

Looks like the technicians havent diagnosed your actual problem effectively. You can be present when they dismantle your brake system & check out each component yourself.

Would help if you can post up some pics of the entire assembly showing the pad & the disc in particular !
Old 29th June 2010, 10:22   #9
Senior - BHPian

The sound is usually the Pad wear indecator as others mentioned, if the pads were replaced recently then get the rotor checkd for uneven wear, also get the pad checked.

Pramod
Old 4th July 2010, 13:10   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
If you have been getting the sound since 2008, why didn't you ask Honda for an official reason and/or an undertaking that they have known of this problem? They will wash their hands off this the moment your warranty runs out.
Bro, I HAVE been making a fuss about it at every service but as I mentioned, when I get the car back from service, the noise isn't there for awhile and then re-appears. So it's kind of difficult to pin them down.

@nirmaljustdoit - I've changed my pads once at around 10K when I made a fuss about it. The present set have done about 13k. Anyway, I'm taking your advice but am taking my car to a private garage to get the brakes checked with me present.
Old 5th July 2010, 11:02   #11
Senior - BHPian

Hey, this is nice. I have a Civic AT and the squealing noise has started since the last... I don't know, 2500KM or so. Only when on highway runs after the system has heated up well. I don't get it in city and I've been unable to replicate the problem to Honda, so they haven't fixed it yet. Pads have plenty of life left. I'm guessing it's the scoring on the disc.

Most Viewed