Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2010, 19:56   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I generally idle for a minute in the morning when doing an absolute cold start and do about 20 seconds in subsequent start. Is that enough. Also wanted to know that is there anything like bedding for a turbo like you have for engines?
thumb rule is to let the lubrication begin when in cold start and to continue idling for some time during hot shut off, this is to avoid sudden shock loads to the turbine housing/assembly, what you are doing for cold start is correct, only thing to be taken care, is not to switch off the engine after a hot run/ high speed run (gently allow it to cool), there is no "bedding in" phenomena for turbochargers. Hope it is clear now.

Spike
Old 22nd March 2010, 23:29   #32
BHPian

Same Applies for Swift D i guess. well i do it all the times. but i feel sometimes boring to wait for 1 minutes after i reach my destination.
Old 25th April 2010, 21:36   #33
Senior - BHPian

Please clarify the following WRT Polo - Diesel:

1. Is the Turbo a VGT in Polo?

2. In the road test report by GTO, it is mentioned that the " Fan stays on for about 10 secs after turning off the diesel engine" . Will the coolant for the Turbo charger also be circulating during this time?

3. If so - Will it be enough to cool the Turbo? If not - why can't VW increase this time to - say - 30 sec - to safeguard the Turbo?

4. What is the avg life of a Turbocharger if maintained well?

Kindly reply in detail.
Old 25th April 2010, 22:11   #34
Senior - BHPian

I have tried to answer based on the limited knowledge that I have on the Polo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Please clarify the following WRT Polo - Diesel:

1. Is the Turbo a VGT in Polo?
I don't think so

Quote:
2. In the road test report by GTO, it is mentioned that the " Fan stays on for about 10 secs after turning off the diesel engine" . Will the coolant for the Turbo charger also be circulating during this time?
3. If so - Will it be enough to cool the Turbo? If not - why can't VW increase this time to - say - 30 sec - to safeguard the Turbo?
This functionality of the fan being on for 10-30 seconds after switching off is in Palio as well. I'm not sure whether coolant passes through the Turbocharger. The only fluid that goes into the turbo is engine oil for lubrication.

If you let it the engine idle for about a 30 sec-1 minute depending upon the running you had, that is more than enough for the Turbo to cool off. The term "cooling off " over here means reducing the RPM of the turbo spindle so that on engine shut off the shock is minimal.
Quote:
4. What is the avg life of a Turbocharger if maintained well?

Kindly reply in detail.
If taken care properly, Turbo's are known to last the entire life of an engine.
Old 26th April 2010, 10:48   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have tried to answer based on the limited knowledge that I have on the Polo.

I don't think so

This functionality of the fan being on for 10-30 seconds after switching off is in Palio as well. I'm not sure whether coolant passes through the Turbocharger. The only fluid that goes into the turbo is engine oil for lubrication.

If you let it the engine idle for about a 30 sec-1 minute depending upon the running you had, that is more than enough for the Turbo to cool off. The term "cooling off " over here means reducing the RPM of the turbo spindle so that on engine shut off the shock is minimal.

If taken care properly, Turbo's are known to last the entire life of an engine.
Thank you very much for clearing my doubts.

Will it be difficult to upgrade Polo's Turbo to VGT on field? If so - Can ECU Software programme be altered / changed on field, to take care of VGT addition?
What problems do you foresee in doing so?
Old 26th April 2010, 11:05   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm not sure whether coolant passes through the Turbocharger. The only fluid that goes into the turbo is engine oil for lubrication.
Coolant doesn't pass through the turbocharger. Only oil passes as you have mentioned to lubricate the bearing/bush.
Old 26th April 2010, 11:09   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
When turbo engines were developed, engineers .....

......... Do all Turbo engines now no longer need this idling thing? This is the first time I am dealing with turbo engines so I am in unchartered territory here.

Best thing to do is get yourself a "turbo timer" and it will take care even after switch off the engine and lock your car. The engine is kept running as per designated time like 2 or 3 minutes helping the turbo to cool down. Why worry to wait till 1 or 2 minutes.

The cost varies from 2.5k to 8 k depending on the model you buy.
Old 26th April 2010, 11:18   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Will it be difficult to upgrade Polo's Turbo to VGT on field? If so - Can ECU Software programme be altered / changed on field, to take care of VGT addition?
What problems do you foresee in doing so?
I would suggest changing the Turbo or doing any addition/deletion on a new engine as it will void the warranty and will definitely have an adverse impact. If you want a powerful, may be you should buy something.

Changing/switching turbo's, adding waste gate, intercooler or even adding a supercharger to take care of the turbo lag are all precision jobs and would require a lot of calculations before finding the best equilibrium. If you really want to try a project, suggest you get an old Indica and try on that. Atleast your losses will be minimum.
Old 26th April 2010, 14:02   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj.barcode View Post
Best thing to do is get yourself a "turbo timer" and it will take care even after switch off the engine and lock your car. The engine is kept running as per designated time like 2 or 3 minutes helping the turbo to cool down. Why worry to wait till 1 or 2 minutes.

The cost varies from 2.5k to 8 k depending on the model you buy.
Where can you get them in Bangalore?
Old 26th April 2010, 14:25   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Where can you get them in Bangalore?
Any of these tuners should be able to help you out, it may be available in Hot tracks not sure, or try with Raj.H or race dynamics. They should be able to help you out
Old 26th April 2010, 15:06   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Safari Dicors manual doesnt suggest this kind of idling
Wrong. My Safari DiCOR 2.2 manual (Feb 2009) has this notice extremely clear. For the record here is the excerpt from page# 76 of the manual (PDF).

Name:  safariturbocaution.PNG
Views: 1344
Size:  50.9 KB

I have been following this to the core and has become a second habit when I am in Safari. Waiting to shutdown, initially, was bit embarrassing, especially with sites having valet parking. But, now I am used to this and insist parking myself.

-BJ

Last edited by bj96 : 26th April 2010 at 15:10.
Old 26th April 2010, 15:19   #42
BHPian

Gurus,

But why should the clutch be depressed fully when starting the engine ?
Old 26th April 2010, 16:25   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by donzerus View Post
Gurus,

But why should the clutch be depressed fully when starting the engine ?
An engine or a motor is best started under zero load. Hence the guideline of depressing the clutch.
Old 26th April 2010, 17:29   #44
BHPian

(Source: Turbocharger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

I'm quoting from the above article.
"The CHRA may also be considered "water cooled" by having an entry and exit point for engine coolant to be cycled. Water cooled models allow engine coolant to be used to keep the lubricating oil cooler, avoiding possible oil coking from the extreme heat found in the turbine."

We have water/coolant cooled turbos. They help to keep the oil within it's working temperature limit and avoid coking.
Old 26th April 2010, 19:25   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj.barcode View Post
will it lock the car? that should be cool.
I think the timer will shut down the engine and all doors unlocked.
otherwise will have to wait till the timer shuts the engine down and then lock the car.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks