Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2005, 11:41   #1
BHPian

Problem with paint corrosion....help!!!

dear bhp'ians

weird query...was out of town for a couple of days and had parked my santro xing in my girlfriend's bldg. it was covered with pigeon poop when i got back. now that pigeon poop is corrosive (believe me it is!!!) there are quite a few patches on the roof that are discoloured. can someone pls guide me on correcting this??? will turtle wax help or will i need to have it touched up?
Old 10th November 2005, 12:46   #2
Senior - BHPian

maybe you should have teflon coated your car, maybe it would have helped avoid this.
Old 10th November 2005, 13:02   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
maybe you should have teflon coated your car, maybe it would have helped avoid this.

I heard that Teflon coating will hold its smile for only approximately 3 months or so. I was suggested to go for regular wax polish, once in a quarter, which will cost around Rs.300/-.

Also it seems there are vendors who will drop in to your doorstep to do it regularly on weekends.
Old 10th November 2005, 13:17   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash7678
will turtle wax help or will i need to have it touched up?
You need to give it to a proper paint treatment shop. You don't need to touch up the paint. Check with these people www.autoncare.com
Old 10th November 2005, 13:19   #5
Senior - BHPian

so bird poop can damage paint for real? OMG. its scary.
Old 10th November 2005, 13:49   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise

I heard that Teflon coating will hold its smile for only approximately 3 months or so. I was suggested to go for regular wax polish, once in a quarter, which will cost around Rs.300/-.

Also it seems there are vendors who will drop in to your doorstep to do it regularly on weekends.
hey people!

can bhp'ians frm bombay suggest some guys who come over to your residence to do this?
Old 10th November 2005, 13:51   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen
You need to give it to a proper paint treatment shop. You don't need to touch up the paint. Check with these people www.autoncare.com
thx rudra will try that out.
Old 10th November 2005, 14:36   #8
BHPian

This link give will better idea of cleaning, but where will we get these services in Bangalore???, if any one knows please post it with details, that will helps to new guys like me.
Old 10th November 2005, 15:15   #9
Senior - BHPian

[size=2]Looks like waxing the car is the only preventative measure (or a cover).[/size]
[size=2][/size]
[size=2]http://www.howtocleananything.com/ti...s.asp?tid=1243[/size]
[size=2][/size]
[size=2]A bird’s droppings are very acidic (pH 3.5 to 4.5). When bird droppings fall on your paint, the acid begins to burn and etch the paint’s surface. The longer the bird droppings remain, the greater the damage.

The result of bird dropping damage is a dimple in the paint’s surface, often as large as an inch or more in diameter. This damage is permanent, but can easily be repaired.

Repairing Damage

The only way to repair the damage caused by bird droppings is to polish the paint. You must use the polish to blending the surrounding paint, bringing it down to the same level as the damaged area. This may sound drastic, but it works very well. The only concern is that you’re making the paint thinner. So you must be careful not to polish all the way through to the primer. Do so, and you’ll have a more noticeable problem than what the bird left behind.

Any good paint polish can be used to fix the damage with a fair amount of rubbing. I’ve found that it’s better to start with a mild compound, as you would find in a “scratch remover” (Eagle One Scratch Remover is a good example), followed by a good hand polish.

Preventing Damage

While it’s not really possible to keep birds from bombing your car with their dirty little surprises, you can take steps to limit the damage. The most obvious protection is a car cover (please, not while you’re driving). But, even the cover won’t help you when you’re driving. To limit the damage when you get hit, you need to remove the offending slim as quickly as possible. Don’t wait. Get it off of your car.

I’ve found the best way to clean up after a bird is with a good detailing spray and a cotton terry cloth towel. As I’m a clean car fanatic anyway, I keep a little detailing kit in my trunk. It holds a spray bottle of quick detailing spray, a couple towels, and my favorite rubber and vinyl dressing. That’s all it takes for me to keep the car looking great. When a bird gets me, I spray the bird droppings with a few shots of detailing spray and wipe it off with the towel, turning the towel as necessary to keep a clean wipe on the car.

Another way to protect your paint from bird damage is to keep your car waxed. While a standard carnauba wax offers limited protection against a juicy attack, it makes cleanup much easier. Acrylic polymer sealants protect a little better against the harsh acids, but it’s not enough to create a damage-free barrier if the bird poop sits too long. You still need to remove the mess as quickly as possible.

by David W. Bynon Copyright (c), 2000, Autopia Car Care -- All Rights Reserved (www.autopia-carcare.com) [/size]

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks