Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2010, 14:56   #1

2002 OHC Vtec - Initial niggles

After a painstaking search for a well looked after used Baleno/OHC/OHC Vtec in hyderabad, I finally got myself a 2002 OCH Type II Vtec a couple of weeks ago.

The car was in fairly decent shape mechanically, had never been in an accident and had about 80K on the odo when i got it.

The car was sent to Pride Honda immediately after i got it for an 80K service where all oils and filters were changed, injectors cleaned and new spark plugs were put it besides other minor jobs like replacing busted bulbs and wiper blades. The entire service experience was very pleasant thanks to the service engineer, Mr. Kalyan, who kept me updated every step of the way. He brought it to my notice that the silencer, brake pads and brake discs were nearing the end of their lives an would have to be replaced in the near future in addition to replacing a gearbox mount and addressing a minor crack in the boot on the right driveshaft.

Its been 10 days and 600 kms since and the car has seen regular city commute, a few high speed drives on the expressway leading to the airport as well a fair bit of exploration higher up in the rev band all the way past 6K rpm.

I have a few observations and concerns and would like your views on the same.

1. The engine seems dead when it is spinning at anything below 1500 rpm (approx.) There is no power on the tap and I am forced to downshift. Once the engine revs past 1700-1800 rpm it springs to life and delivers an acceleration that is addictive all the way till about 4000rpm past which there seems to be another (less perceptible) surge in acceleration. Is this normal?

2. When the car is being revved hard at speeds in excess of 100 kmph, there is a noise from under the hood that sounds like a balloon/tyre being deflated gently which lasts for a few seconds. During this time i have also noticed a slight drop in power almost like the engine taking a breather. I dont think this in normal. Any thoughts on what is causing this and how i an sort it out?

3. When the car is driven with a light foot for a couple of hours or driven hard for a much lesser time, the transmission tunnel area (under the gear shifter and hand brake lever) gets really hot. The heat can be felt on the metallic portions of the handbrake lever and the gear shifter. Its almost as hot as the hood of a car when its been driven that way . Is this normal for the OHC? If not, what do i do about it?

4. Im planning to get the brake discs skimmed and replace the brake pads. Does anyone know of good mechanics in hyd who can do this?

Apologies for this laundry list! Im planning to do an extended road trip next month and would love to have the car sorted out by then.

Cheers!
Old 20th July 2010, 16:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

problem 1. typical of hondas. A freeflow can change things a bit
problem 2. check air intake/ filter etc.
problem 3. change transmission oil
problem 4. visit the directory area of t-bhp.
Old 21st July 2010, 10:32   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
problem 1. typical of hondas. A freeflow can change things a bit
problem 2. check air intake/ filter etc.
problem 3. change transmission oil
problem 4. visit the directory area of t-bhp.
I just checked the invoice I received after the 80K km service. I have been billed for a litre of MTF (manual transmission fluid im guessing). Looks like I will have to get the Honda folks to check the transmission oil level and quality again.

About your suggestion to problem no.2 , I have noticed the noise (and drop in power) only at triple digit speeds. When the car is revved to similar rpms at lower speeds (or when stationery) there is no such noise. Does a glitch in the air filter/intake explain this as well?

Thanks again!
Old 21st July 2010, 11:03   #4
Senior - BHPian

Answers in bold.

1. The engine seems dead when it is spinning at anything below 1500 rpm (approx.) There is no power on the tap and I am forced to downshift. Once the engine revs past 1700-1800 rpm it springs to life and delivers an acceleration that is addictive all the way till about 4000rpm past which there seems to be another (less perceptible) surge in acceleration. Is this normal?

The engine actually comes on at 3000 rpm and goes upto 7000 without any real stop in acceleration. The surge that you get after 4000 would be that of the VTEC engaging. There should not be a flat spot at 4000 rpm.

2. When the car is being revved hard at speeds in excess of 100 kmph, there is a noise from under the hood that sounds like a balloon/tyre being deflated gently which lasts for a few seconds. During this time i have also noticed a slight drop in power almost like the engine taking a breather. I dont think this in normal. Any thoughts on what is causing this and how i an sort it out?

Can you record the sound?

3. When the car is driven with a light foot for a couple of hours or driven hard for a much lesser time, the transmission tunnel area (under the gear shifter and hand brake lever) gets really hot. The heat can be felt on the metallic portions of the handbrake lever and the gear shifter. Its almost as hot as the hood of a car when its been driven that way . Is this normal for the OHC? If not, what do i do about it?

Quite normal, though not as hot as the hood of the car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks