Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2010, 15:50   #1
BHPian

Santro automatic : What is the use of the OD (overdrive) button?

Dear All,

Can anyone provide me user manual for automatic santro?
I want to know what is the use of OD (overdrive) button on the gear stick - when it should be used, how does enabling/disabling it affect the performance etc.

Thx in adv.
Old 21st July 2010, 16:01   #2
BHPian

You could've searched the forum for the use of overdrive. This has been discussed on some threads.

Anyways, the OD button is to indicate if the car can move to the OD (4th) gear or not. Typically you always keep it pressed (OD On) - display panel light will be off.

If you go to speeds above around 60, OD is activated by itself and the vehicle moves to top gear. This give you a smoother / silent performance as well as will improve your fuel efficiency.

You keep OD off only if you intentionally want to avoid your vehicle to move to 4th gear.

HTH.
Old 21st July 2010, 16:10   #3
BANNED

The overdrive button is just a hangover from the 3-speed box days. They did not bother to mofigy the shifter when they went four speed, so put the fourth on the OD button! Essentially if it is ON then you have a 4-speed box, else a 3-speed box.

In normal driving keep it on all the time. If you are going down hills use 2 or L.
Old 21st July 2010, 17:11   #4
BHPian

- Ok. Thx.

- Searching for santro automatic user manual etc gives automatic vs manual etc threads
Old 1st August 2010, 15:11   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
The overdrive button is just a hangover from the 3-speed box days. They did not bother to mofigy the shifter when they went four speed, so put the fourth on the OD button! Essentially if it is ON then you have a 4-speed box, else a 3-speed box.

In normal driving keep it on all the time. If you are going down hills use 2 or L.
O/D off button is provided in other vehicles as well and there is a purpose for this button -it's just not there because of the reason you mention.I remember driving a Mazda Tribute/Ford Escape and using it to good effect. If you want to do some spirited driving within city and do some sharp overtake maneuvers, this button can come in handy, to provide that extra zip and not lose steam by suddenly switching to overdrive. For most people and most situations, it is of no use.
Old 1st August 2010, 15:25   #6
BANNED

@kuttapan: I quite know what the OD button is. We are talking in the context of the Santro AT (the same box is in the i10 AT and after beefing up in the Verna AT).

In the 1970s ODs were installed in some cars, with OD available in 3rd and 4th (almost all boxes were 4 speed). Thus effectively you had 1-4, 3+OD and 4+OD. It was axiomatic that the drive in top gear would be 1:1. Any gearing higher than this was dubbed as OverDrive. It was only after the FWD cars became popular that the top, or even the gear(s) below, deviated from this 1:1 or direct drive rule.

Take one of the highest cases today Civic AT is 0.55:1!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks