Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2010, 10:50   #1
BHPian

Does India really need BS IV fuel?

Today there was an article in DC Chennai about the air quality of chennai measured over a period from April to June and it says, the quality has worsened by around 10% after the introduction of BS IV fuels.

Last week read an article about the same in IE.
It's written by an IBS faculty. It says the real problem with Indian cities is not fuels but the levels of solid partculate matter. It also says the levels of NOX and So2 were already much lower than the permissable levels.
It says one major problem here is dust which gathers due to non paving of sidewalks, and it says developed countries either pave them or plant grass which helps reduce this problem.
It asks if the Rs. 40000 crore needed for this transfer to BS VI is really worth it?
Do we really need Euro IV fuel in India? | | | Indian Express

Me too think fuel emissions are not as big a problem as we thought for the vehicular penetration here is much much lesser comapred to the west.
What do you think?

Last edited by Daewood : 28th July 2010 at 10:51.
Old 28th July 2010, 11:14   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
It says one major problem here is dust which gathers due to non paving of sidewalks, and it says developed countries either pave them or plant grass which helps reduce this problem.
+10000000...
In US, I've almost never seen this or is covered with wood granules. All the smoke emission by bus or 18 wheelers are directed upwards in addition so that the wood is also not blown away.

Last evening when I was riding through Chennai bye-pass, I saw the last lane completely invisible; this is due to loose mud that is accumulated over several days of lorries being parked & the lane not being cleaned up. I felt bad terribly for the hard work of constructing a 6-lane highway.

PS - If we grow grass, then that is feeded by cattle; if we drop wood granules, then people use it for cooking; do we've a choice either?

Last edited by aargee : 28th July 2010 at 11:16.
Old 28th July 2010, 11:19   #3
BHPian

Whatever grade fuel comes, IMHO, the emission quality depends on engine and carburetor condition. AFAIK, The emission test is mandatory for all vehicles more than 1 year as per RTO rule. But Now polution test agency does it properly. One of my friend is having a pollution test shop. He just put the needle in exhaust pipe, take a snap of number plate, and will give a certificate - 'pollution under control'. for Rs 50
Old 28th July 2010, 11:50   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
It also says the levels of NOX and So2 were already much lower than the permissable levels.
It asks if the Rs. 40000 crore needed for this transfer to BS VI is really worth it?
Do we really need Euro IV fuel in India? | | | Indian Express

Me too think fuel emissions are not as big a problem as we thought for the vehicular penetration here is much much lesser comapred to the west.
What do you think?
I agree with that. I believe that we should channel our investments that would get optimum results. High SPM levels and air pollution are the real problem.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks