Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2010, 16:33   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPH View Post

Superchargers are being used by Mercedes (which is the only credit I can give them currently), but this proves rather expensive in comparisson to turbos.

Does mercedes have a supercharged diesel engine in a passenger car? what about other brands?
Old 5th August 2010, 17:32   #17
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithunkb View Post
Does mercedes have a supercharged diesel engine in a passenger car? what about other brands?
No, they have superchargers in the petrol cars. The Diesel engines run turbos.

The original BMW Mini was running Superchargers with a Chrysler engine. The revised Mini runs a PSA turbo unit.
Old 5th August 2010, 21:52   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidkill View Post

However, i have noticed that no manufacturer has developed either of the following strategies:

1.Supercharged or dual turbo version of these engines for deployment in larger variants
Simply answer is cost. Plus the durability of engine.

Quote:
2. Inline Five Cylinder or I5 variants of the same engine for deployment in larger cars
The engine bay has limited space. Two problems here.
1. L5 will definitely need to be elongated engine bay plus a RWD configuration. And cost of suspension development will be much higher for comfortable ride. We all know why Mustang uses age old technology at rear even after being so expensive. Tuner company have added multilink at rear in Mustang. and we all know their price.

2. L5 if used transversely will need more modification to front suspension and drive-train system. I think Volvo uses this and we all know what Volvo costs.

3. Cost of developing a complete new chassis for larger engine.

Quote:
Inline two Cylinder or I2 variants of the same engine for deployment in small cars
This is workable. But question is will People buy it.?
I was thinking about this too, And i created an "Available Engine option" thread somewhere and up till now there is little response.. Cooper Corp, (Not Cooper of Mini Fame) an indian company manufactures a two cylinder turbocharged engine which develops 55bhp and 110Nm of torque.
Now this is good on paper. Now problem will be to develop a new gear box which will put those horses on wheels.
Again Cost of development is the main question.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks