Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2010, 17:48   #1
BHPian

Attn Fiesta TDCI Owners! It's time to check R134 AC Dual hose pipe

Hi Bhpians,

Yesterday I've encountered by AC issue with my fiesta TDCI. Below is the detailed report of the issue and fixes.

Just like any other day I started my car to go Office around 10 A.M. I usually switch on the AC only after 5 mins, after I did that to my surprise only blower was running , no signs of compressor started and running. I'm disappointed and kept repeat my steps to swith on/off. Nothing worked out. I went staight to the Chennai FORD ***, a smally guy came in (around 18+ age). He just opened the bonnet and check something without having single tool. And he replied me "Sir. Evapourator coil is gone, also ac gas needs to filled". I wondered "How come he says that without even checking any leakage etc." . I was thinking that only compressor not switched on, so it might be fuse gone mad. Then i checked with him about the estimated cost and date, He said "Rs.7500 inclusive of labor for 3 days to rectifiy the same". I was more worried and talked to myself with "FORD is really expensive to maintain." Then i left from there with my car as told them to come by next week.

I back to my office and check out possiblities for AC issues in fiesta. but couldn't get something in detail. Then i went to my local mechanic who did some sync oil change for me. He suggested one ac mechanic, to my wonder he simply says that even without opening a bonnet "Sir. All fiesta diesel cars having such issue sir, there is friction between the AC R134A dual hose piper with some another tube. I've corrected few, it seems FORD not even corrected till." I'm relaxed with that "Thank god! Atleast hose pipe cost little less". Then i asked him to check the issue. He opened the bonnet and checked the AC gas which empty. He said compressor will switch on only if gas is present.Then he checked the leakages, to my surprise there was a leakages in the dual hose pipe as bubbles started coming when the water sprayed.I said wow he figured out the issue. Then he showed me the dual hose tear up due to friction (please check the attached pics). Then he enquired about the cost of the pipe, it costs Rs.2300.

Finally he remove the older one and replaced with new one (which fully sealed by PVC and rubber tube covered that dual hose aluminium pipe. I asked the reason for this, he said "Diesel engines having heavy jolt while starting, always this aluminium tube touch the rubber tube around it. It caused that tear after a period.Ford knows this issue, but they did not corrected it.". After that he changed the new pipe he vacumn the ac compressor and filled with R134a Godrej ferex automative ac liquid gas. Then we checked it, everything back to normal. There is no issues with evapourator and the compressor is running fine to cool the cabin. I'm pretty much satisfied after this as I got my powerful fiesta ac is back. He checked for any further leakages fortunately nothing. All it costs me including labor Rs.3800 ( I saved this money to install Xenos Security system ). I'm left happily from there, till now there is no issues with that. Everything got fixed in a matter of 3 hours and the job is done.

Now, Did anyone face this kind of issue in your fiesta diesel cars? Am i first one encountered by this?. Kindly re-check your dual hose pipes if any tears. If something is there, cover them with rubber tube covers to reduce the friction. Pictures for your reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Attn Fiesta TDCI Owners! It's time to check R134 AC Dual hose pipe-090820101376.jpg  

Attn Fiesta TDCI Owners! It's time to check R134 AC Dual hose pipe-090820101375.jpg  

Old 11th August 2010, 01:02   #2
Senior - BHPian

i will give you even a better solution. This only applies if the leak is not at the joints and screw ends.
If you don't want to spend 2300 and just about 200. You will need an expert aluminum wielder. A guy with a good hand with MIG wielder.
Old 11th August 2010, 01:28   #3
BHPian

I agree with SirAlec, why to replace pipe when you can get it welded ?

I've seen similar issue at A.C. guy who repaired my car A.C. and he always preferred to get it welded once before he asks customer to go for the pipe replacement.

I perfectly remember last time when i needed gas top-up he was explaining the welding thing to another customer.
Old 19th August 2010, 19:02   #4
BHPian

Thankfully, I have not encountered any such problem till date with my Diesel Fiesta.
Old 9th November 2010, 14:08   #5
BHPian

I am experiencing the same problem now in my Fiesta TDCi. Tried with a local mechanic in my native town in Tamil Nadu. But he couldn't able to get this fixed. Now, i know what could a reason for this. Thanks Jebs & SirAlec

I will take it to Metro Ford here in Bangalore and check out what they say.
Old 27th January 2011, 19:56   #6
BHPian

Re: Attn Fiesta TDCI Owners! It's time to check R134 AC Dual hose pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbala View Post
I am experiencing the same problem now in my Fiesta TDCi. Tried with a local mechanic in my native town in Tamil Nadu. But he couldn't able to get this fixed. Now, i know what could a reason for this. Thanks Jebs & SirAlec

I will take it to Metro Ford here in Bangalore and check out what they say.
Forgot to update this thread about my Fiesta A/C problem..

Actually the problem was with the condenser. I got it replaced for 7k + another 3k for A/c charges, labour etc..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks