Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2005, 13:25   #1
Senior - BHPian

Need Tips for restoring M800.

I didnt know where to post this, so I posted it here...

We have a 1993 M800, which has done around 75000 kms.The trouble is, 74k+ kms were done before Aug 2000. Then we got an Indica2000 , and this one was garaged. It has been driven very few times since, but always for short distances.Its now somewhat of a rustbucket. Since last year, we did undertake a few half hearted efforts to work on it, but the were umm...half hearted.

The following things were replaced in various stages last year -
1.Battery . (had gone dead in 4 years)
2.Head gasket (it blew once because the coolant somehow leaked off, we were stuck once on Karve Road with steam coming out from the hood).
3.Brakes.
4.Accelerator pedal was stuck to the floor. (Full revs all the time). It was fixed too.

Every now and then, I get all fired up and decide to drive it more, but I never do.(I prefer to use the bike, and dad his other car).

I tried to start it today (first time since June), and it did start after a few cranks.A few things I noticed were -
- Creaking doors. (Pune Monsoons were not kind this year).
- Seat recliner jammed! I had to sit in a position too upright for comfort.
- Wheezing noise coming from the engine,like air is leaking off somewhere, while revving. I have posted this sound I recorded using my phone. Its not too clear, but still..
- Door trim peeling off. Dashboard colour is fading.
- Brakes have become rock hard.
- A/C switch went all the way in when pressed. (BTW, the aircon still works, ineffective though it is.)

Can anyone suggest what things to look out for if it is to be brought back to its original state? Is it possible in the first place,after remaining idle for so long? I dont want to spend too much money.

This is the whooshing sound I am talking about.
http://rapidshare.de/files/7793195/rev2.wav.html

This is a pic of the car (cam phone quality..sorry).

This is the ultra upright seating position.. Its now stuck there. :(

Last edited by sajo : 18th November 2005 at 13:29.
Old 18th November 2005, 15:19   #2
Team-BHP Support

Unless this car has high sentimental value, its better to dispose it off, as you will spend close to 20-30K to restore it.
I know about a 1990 model 800 which was partially restored
Overhaul done at 120000kms (Full engine overhaul)
Interiors and gearbox suspension, body anti rust etc., etc.,

Total cost was 30K, and still results are not that good. Unless you know a very very good mechanic its a waste of money and time.
However if you do find one here's the best way to start, but beware it will be a very expensive excerisise. 4 years of no use wrecks are car much more than 4 years of abuse
1. Electrical system.
As such 800 electricals are reliable, but m800 has a very bad feature. the flimsy wires near the tail lights area which tend to short and all. Get them all replaced
2. Fuel pump and fuel delivery
This is the toughest part and you need an excellent mechanic to do so.
3. Suspention and brake pads and steering
All bushkits have to be replaced. Along with the brake pads. Add to that the steering bushes
M800 is full of these rubber bushes(Atleast the old ones had them) which would require replacement every 8000kms or so if used in rough road conditions
Not only that wheel bearing would have to replaced if they are not new
Old 18th November 2005, 20:00   #3
Senior - BHPian

This car does have sentimental value attached to it, but not too much so. If we sell this car, we would get quite a negligible price for it (inspite of the special registration no. which I understand holds religious significance for certain communities). So I might as well use it while there is still life left in it.
Thankfully, all electricals are working. Except the engine temperature indicator, if you call that an electrical. Even the lousy old stereo was working. I dont think a full overhaul is needed yet, because inspite of the whooshing sound, it does rev pretty cleanly. But I am no expert to comment in these matters, and will be grateful if someone does. The more I think about it, the more I want to bring it back to useable condition.
Old 18th November 2005, 21:15   #4
Team-BHP Support

If so then show it to a good mechanic. By good I mean really good. Ask people around, and see the workshops. DO NOT go to maruti authorized service center. They will cost you a bomb.
Old 18th November 2005, 23:08   #5
BHPian

If I were you, I'd sell the car - it will turn into a liability given a short period of time. Sell it while you still can get something for it rather than spend on restoring it. This goes double considering the car has seen a thousand kilometers in five years. If this rate of useage is expected to continue, then its best to get rid of it.

If you do decide to keep the car, then go about the restoration piecemeal - concentrate on one area at a time, restore it and move on to the next, once you're satisfied that that the job is well done.

Good luck!
Old 19th November 2005, 02:49   #6
BHPian

Jus one question.. How come your battery had juice left in it to crank up after 5 months !!!!!!
Mine goes weak if i dont start the car for like 2 weeks or so.. (M800)

OTHERS pls clarify i got a new 1 month old battery.. ??
I use my car only once or twice a week for around 20 kms..

sorry goin goin off-topic
Old 19th November 2005, 03:18   #7
Senior - BHPian

I have heard someone say something similar about a battery. They take the leads off, so they say there is no drain on the battery and they claim their vehicle cranks up after 4 months.
Old 19th November 2005, 09:13   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThE_DoN
Jus one question.. How come your battery had juice left in it to crank up after 5 months !!!!!!
Mine goes weak if i dont start the car for like 2 weeks or so.. (M800)
I dont know how it did (touch wood). But it did require a few cranks before starting. After taking its time to warm up (it vibrates like hell during that time), it settled down after a couple of minutes of idling. The vibrations at idle mostly disappear after a few minutes.
Old 20th November 2005, 15:29   #9
BHPian

There is no replacement for displacement

Last edited by ThE_DoN : 20th November 2005 at 15:31. Reason: PLEASE IGNORE !!!
Old 6th April 2006, 19:36   #10
Senior - BHPian

sajo, you still have this car and still plan to bring it back to life.
Asking because Edmund has a thread where he details the restoration of his 85 model M800. And he is at Pune too. You could check with him about the mechanic and glean some info from that thread too - he has done a neat job of restoration.
bigman, what you heard is true. When not using the car for sometime, say a week or more, just disconnect one of the battery terminals. This will retain the battery charge. I do it always when I have to go out of town for a week or more.
Old 6th April 2006, 20:59   #11
Senior - BHPian

Sajo, PM Edmund. He will be of great help.
I will call you later regarding this topic.
Old 6th April 2006, 21:20   #12
Senior - BHPian

Ahh..actually, it was restored around the same time as this thread was posted (or about a week after that). The list of jobs he had done was big, and the bill ran for about 3 pages. The total cost? Rs.2200. It was running fine, until recently, it blew the fuel pump :(.I think far too much of poor quality fuel filled from any pump in its 14 year lifespan did it.. I had to jerk my way home for about a km or so... And stalled about 20 times (No mechanic since it was about 9 in the night). Plan to get that repaired once my submissions are over by next week.

Last edited by sajo : 6th April 2006 at 21:23.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks