Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2010, 15:48   #1
BANNED

VAG Tool for VWs & Skodas

As I read these forum since many years i see that Skoda A S S is not able to provide good service for the the car and its customer.

My question would be,"Why would somebody spend more than 10lakhs on a car and has to be blackmailed by service center?" They are not doing good to service their customer, instead the take more money from customers pocket by charging more in every check up, maintenance, installation and repair.

Because of this, i tried to look for some alternative, which is a lot better that going to those service centers. This is the VAG Tool, which cost less than 200USD = around 9000 rupees. 90% of the VAG car parts can be sourced online and very easy to use.

For example, if you go to Skoda service center for oil change, it cost 6000 rupees.

Cost of good oil, Castrol 5w40 = more than 3000rupees, filter = not more than 1000 rupees, even use outside mechanic to change cost around 400 rupees, Total cost 4400.

Still 6000(from Skoda service center) - 4400(self service + mechanic) = 1600rupees savings

With this, everybody who want to self service his own car, can save more money and satisfaction.

VAG Tool

This product can be used to odometer correction ,read Security Access Code, key programmer, airbag reset tool, TV Activation and diagnostic for VW Passat,VW ,VW Bora,VW Polo,VW Golf,Audi A6,Audi A8,Audi A4, Skoda Superb, Skoda Octavia, Skoda Fabia vehicles

CAN odometer correction
VW Golf5
VW Jetta (MY2006)
VW Caddy
VW Crossgolf
VW Touaran
VW EOS
VW Individual
VW Passat platform B6 (MY2006)
Seat Toledo (CAN)
Seat Leon (CAN)
Seat Altea
Seat Altea XL
Skoda Octavia II
Skoda Scout
Audi A3
Audi A8
Audi A6
Audi Q7
Audi Allroad 2004+

CAN read Security Access Code
VW Golf5
VW Jetta (MY2006)
VW Caddy
VW Crossgolf
VW Touaran
VW EOS
VW Individual
VW Passat platform B6 (MY2006)
Seat Toledo (CAN)
Seat Leon (CAN)
Seat Altea
Seat Altea XL
Skoda Octavia II
Skoda Scout
Audi A3
Audi A8 - R/W EEPROM
Audi Q7
Audi Allroad
Audi A6

K read Security Access Code,odometer correction,
Audi A2 (K)
Audi A3 VDO/M73 up to 2003 (K)
Audi A4 VDO/M73 (K)
Audi A4 BOSCH (K) up to 2002
Audi A6 VDO (K)
Audi Allroad (K) up to 2004
Audi A8 up to Jan 1999
Audi TT (K)
Seat Alhambra (K)
Seat Arosa (K)
Seat Cordoba after 1999 (K)
Seat Ibiza VDO after 1999 (K) (MY2007 covered)
Seat Leon (K)
Seat Toledo (K)
Skoda Octavia (K)
Skoda Superb (K)
Skoda Roomster (K) (MY2007 covered)
Skoda Fabia (K) (MY2007 covered)
VW Bora (K)
VW Beetle (K)
VW Golf4 VDO/Motometer/BOSCH (K)
VW Jetta (K)
VW Passat (K)
VW Polo VDO/Motometer (K) (MY2007 covered)
VW Sharan (K)
VW T4/T5 VDO (K) (MY2007 covered)

Engine security code, kilometres read
Suport vehicles £?BOSCH VAG-EDC15x, VAG-ME7.1.1, VAG-ME7.1, VAG-ME7.5, VAG-Cartronic ME7.8.
Key programmer
Audi A2
Audi A3 VDO/M73 up to 2003
Audi A4 VDO/M73 up to 2000
Audi A4 after 2000 - petrol engines >= 1.8
Audi A6 VDO (K)
Audi A6 (CAN) petrol engines
Audi Allroad (K) up to 2004
Audi Allroad (CAN) petrol engines
Audi A8 up to 1998

PS. This is not an advertisement post

Last edited by narry : 13th August 2010 at 16:06.
Old 13th August 2010, 16:02   #2
Senior - BHPian

Narry, how does this device help?
Old 13th August 2010, 16:07   #3
Senior - BHPian

DealExtreme: $129.66 U585 2.8" LCD VAG & CAN OBD2 Car Diagnostic Code Reader Memo Scanner (1*6F22)
129 USD.

Or you can get a cable and do the rest in software that can be got via the usual means.
Old 13th August 2010, 16:14   #4
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Narry, how does this device help?
Example 1.

If you do throttle body cleaning after this u need to calibrate by OBD2, this device can do this.

Example 2.

I have a Subaru before, i went for some weeks to USA and when im back for 1 month I just started the car and begin to drive, immediately the engine check light comes, and I cannot rev the car, about 2000rpm. I went to the service center and they check and told me the coolant sensor is bad, needs replacement and cost 5000RMB = around 34K rupees. Luckily i have a friend who advised me to use the Scanner tool, and used it to reset the ECU and it works fine. And i save a lot of money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
DealExtreme: $129.66 U585 2.8" LCD VAG & CAN OBD2 Car Diagnostic Code Reader Memo Scanner (1*6F22)
129 USD.

Or you can get a cable and do the rest in software that can be got via the usual means.
This product is only a diagnostic tool, it is much different than the VAG tool.

The Vag tool also can be used to odometer correction ,read Security Access Code, key programmer, airbag reset tool, TV Activation and diagnostic.

It is written above, please read on.

Last edited by Rehaan : 26th August 2010 at 16:59. Reason: Please use the MULTIQUOTE button instead of creating consecutive posts. Thanks.
Old 13th August 2010, 22:27   #5
Senior - BHPian

I guess you misread Skoda issue. You don't necessarily need an ECU programmer every time a car goes bust.

Problem with skoda service centre is (its been proven here in tbhp)
1. changing parts and using fake ones
2. unable to diagnose a problem not necessarily related to ECU.
3. overcharging for parts and services.

Where as these tools let you hack your ECU, like for eg: to change timings . Its a dangerous tools if you don't know what you are doing.
Old 14th August 2010, 07:22   #6
Senior - BHPian

I also use my own vag com tool with my carputer for trouble shooting and resetting, scan of various systems.
i was given a quote of 1.7l for last service and reconditioning. it cost me 46k when i got it done with good mechanic support. i didnt use everything oem replacement ones but of good quality imported stuff.
Many guys here do this way.
Old 15th August 2010, 16:11   #7
BHPian

DIY diagnostics and resetting of codes can also be done with a Ross-Tech cable [approx $450] the programme is a free download. I use it frequently [ its a friends cable but I ve downloaded the programme on my laptop] and have found it to be a fantastic tuning tool. On-line testemonials are also very good. In fact if you go thru most reputed VW/Audi/Skoda/Seat forums Ross-Tech is by far the most used Diag tool. Check out their website to see if friends can pool in to do a group buy/ share, and mainly if such a cable/programme is worth your while. If you dont tinker with your car it might just be a waste of money IMO
Old 16th August 2010, 13:46   #8
BANNED

There is a problem of your car's engine check light and then you go to the skoda service center, they check and will advise you to change it with new parts like Sensors.

Here goes the trick, they will order 2 Sensors, 1 original from skoda and 1 copy from another company. They will take your stock sensor and the other original ordered from skoda and they will install in your car the COPY SENSOR. With this, they can take the 2 original sensors with them and sell, make good money on it.

Bear in mind that most service center are located on the key cities, which has expensive rentals and taxes. They always try to make more money so that they can cover the these expenses.

The Vag tool, cables and others scanner is not necessarily for hacking your ECU, it is a tool normally for diagnostic and resetting. It cost around $50 - 200USD around 2K - 9K Indian rupees. With that amount, compared to the price of the whole car, it is advisable to have one for your car.

It was a very useful tool to help you diagnose and reset problems of your car and gives you some idea about the car problem before sending to service center. The Vag tool does more features than that Ross-Tech cable at half the price.

Here are some other scanner and tools,

Old 2nd October 2011, 21:43   #9
BHPian

VW Vento control modules

I'm using VAG cable and VCDS software to access the control modules of my Vento highline AT. But only two modules are showing up - Engine and Auto Transmission. No other modules are showing up. Anybody have any experience on this?

Hari
Old 3rd October 2011, 12:59   #10
Senior - BHPian

Re: VW Vento control modules

Those are the only 2 that matter, right? You wouldn't want to fiddle around with ABS or Chassis Electronics ECUs information for any reason, would you?
Old 3rd October 2011, 15:45   #11
BHPian

Re: VW Vento control modules

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Those are the only 2 that matter, right? You wouldn't want to fiddle around with ABS or Chassis Electronics ECUs information for any reason, would you?
In fact, these are the two I dont want to fiddle with!! I'm more interested in the central electronics module where we can configure the welcome lights, auto central lock, seat belt warning etc.

Hari
Old 3rd October 2011, 15:52   #12
Senior - BHPian

Re: VAG Tool for VWs & Skodas

Then you are looking up the wrong tree. The things that you are interested in are not operating data that makes an appearance on CAN, but configuration values in the Chassis Electronics module. For that there is no recourse other than the OE equipment used to configure those values. Not sure if these are open to configuration by users at all. Undesirable - will void warranty and put you in a tight position.
Old 3rd October 2011, 22:16   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Then you are looking up the wrong tree. The things that you are interested in are not operating data that makes an appearance on CAN, but configuration values in the Chassis Electronics module. For that there is no recourse other than the OE equipment used to configure those values. Not sure if these are open to configuration by users at all. Undesirable - will void warranty and put you in a tight position.
Need to correct you there. Friend of mine has been using the same cable on his Skoda for reconfiguring these features. The Skoda ECU and software are made by VW.

Hari
Old 3rd October 2011, 23:10   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethari

Need to correct you there. Friend of mine has been using the same cable on his Skoda for reconfiguring these features. The Skoda ECU and software are made by VW.

Hari
Interesting! And what exactly does he set/configure? Maybe you could try using his setup in your car.
Old 3rd October 2011, 23:45   #15
Senior - BHPian

Any place in India where we can buy this ???

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks