Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2010, 23:38   #1
Senior - BHPian

Rear bumper damaged at A.S.S, Promised replacement bumper. Edit: Got new Bumper.

Today I am shocked and sad,

I gave my Safari for service at Concord for 3ed free service at 2 years. Till now I was very happy with their service.

Before settling the bill I noticed that they have done coolant replacement which I was not expecting as it is due at 60 K Km but S.A told me that it is 60K Km or 2 years whichever is earlier, Opened the service book and checked he was indeed right. It is 60K Km or 2 years.

I suddenly decided to take test drive before settling the bill. The vehicle was being rubbed after wash, Checked the engine bay and too a round around the vehicle.

I opened rear hatch door from right side ( using the handle) and something looked strange to my eyes to I looked closely. The rear door damper rod was inserted between bumper and body , Creating a small cut in bumper.
The bumper was pushed away from body panel.

They called someone from body work and he confirmed that the lock-pin for rear damper is removed and then some one closed the door and it caused damage. The lock-pin looks like a thin wire and is available only with the full damper set. It is a shame that the clamp/pin is such shoddy specially for component which can inflict serious damage.

Service adviser was talking about setting everything right and putting metal paste and paint but I am kind of against it and asked for replacement of rear bumper. I was assured for same by one senior person.

I refused to take the delivery.The customer relation manager was not there in office today evening. So things are postponed to Monday so just keeping fingers crossed.

Sorry for long and incoherent post just hoping that they will not let me down and will undo the damage.

Some pics taken from my mobile

Rear bumper damaged at A.S.S, Promised replacement bumper. Edit: Got new Bumper.-1281786073735.jpg

Rear bumper damaged at A.S.S, Promised replacement bumper. Edit: Got new Bumper.-1281786089145.jpg

Rear bumper damaged at A.S.S, Promised replacement bumper. Edit: Got new Bumper.-1281786097877.jpg
Old 15th August 2010, 00:24   #2
Senior - BHPian

That bumper was damaged by them. They have to pay for it, simple.
Make them replace the whole thing.
Old 15th August 2010, 04:26   #3
BHPian

oops, that looks bad.
that's bad handling by A.S.S., they should pay for this.

Edit: Post larger images, 512px × 384px is too small to easily see the damage.

Last edited by ghpk : 15th August 2010 at 04:27.
Old 15th August 2010, 11:47   #4
Senior - BHPian

OMG, sorry about this!

Amit, I think they're not giving you the actual story of how it happened. I'm wondering if they reversed into something or something rear-ended your vehicle. Some smart-alec tried to do a hasty cover-up & spoilt it further.

Push for a complete replacement!
Old 15th August 2010, 13:21   #5
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Its sad to know about your safari. What is more of a concern is that the A.S.S was hiding the same. I think before settling bill one should throughly test the car and check for these kind of damages.

Don't settle for other than replacement. if required post the same photos to Tata customers support too incase A.S.S tries to avoid as new one with painting will cost around 8.5 k.

v&v
Old 15th August 2010, 14:32   #6
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for your views and posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
Its sad to know about your safari. What is more of a concern is that the A.S.S was hiding the same. I think before settling bill one should throughly test the car and check for these kind of damages.
Ya i would have taken the delivery if it was not for coolant change in the bill but I don't think he was trying to hide as SA was quite confident and took me to vehicle.
Quote:
Don't settle for other than replacement. if required post the same photos to Tata customers support too incase A.S.S tries to avoid as new one with painting will cost around 8.5 k.

v&v
Ya I am not sure how easy the replacement is going to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
OMG, sorry about this!

Amit, I think they're not giving you the actual story of how it happened. I'm wondering if they reversed into something or something rear-ended your vehicle. Some smart-alec tried to do a hasty cover-up & spoilt it further.

Push for a complete replacement!
No Actually there is one metal door damper rod if you see pic 3 it is not there. I think someone took out the lock while cleaning , Rod went into the gap between bumper and body panel and then when they slammed the door damaged happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
oops, that looks bad.
that's bad handling by A.S.S., they should pay for this.

Edit: Post larger images, 512px × 384px is too small to easily see the damage.
I took these from my mobile, The vehicle is at *** will take more pic later.

Last edited by Eddy : 15th August 2010 at 21:09. Reason: Edited the junk characters. Please repost the last part.
Old 15th August 2010, 14:45   #7
Senior - BHPian

Amit.. sad to see that.

Also do check the spare wheel cover and behind it. while reversing, if the impact has also been higher and the spare wheel has contacted, then your dicky door too might have a dent which is visible only of you look behind the spare tire. Though I doubt, thats the case here, but better check.

This has happened with me too, when I got a front bumper replacement on my Safari due to workshop damage. I made sure I saw the damaged bumper post replacement to ascertain they have actually changed it.
Old 15th August 2010, 20:31   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No Actually there is one metal door damper rod if you see pic 3 it is not there. I think someone took out the lock while cleaning , Rod went into the gap between bumper and body panel and then when they slammed the door damaged happen.
This is the actual reason, similar incidents have happenned before also. The lock is a wraparound spring type pin, the pin goes through the damper using a hole which locks it in place.

But if the bumper is not broken from anywhere, IMO, you will be better off getting a paint job done.

Last edited by dadu : 15th August 2010 at 20:33.
Old 16th August 2010, 16:54   #9
Senior - BHPian

Update : Discussed the issue over phone they say that they have written for internal approval to their management and it was a mistake that some one slammed the door when the damper rod was out. I need to wait for some more time for approval etc to happen.

Meanwhile they offered a replacement vehicle if it takes long to resolve I will check the status again tomorrow before pressing for replacement vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
This is the actual reason, similar incidents have happenned before also. The lock is a wraparound spring type pin, the pin goes through the damper using a hole which locks it in place.

But if the bumper is not broken from anywhere, IMO, you will be better off getting a paint job done.
There is a small cut about 2-3 inches in the bumper near to the corner , I fear that over period of time it will spread so asking for replacement.

Safari owners be extramly careful about this wraparound spring type pin it is not available as spare and comes with damper itself.
Old 16th August 2010, 17:14   #10
Senior - BHPian

Damn! the ppl at dealerships are getting more and more careless by the day!

btw did you get any of the parts painted?

the two parts I highlighted below have clearly been repainted!
Attached Thumbnails
Rear bumper damaged at A.S.S, Promised replacement bumper. Edit: Got new Bumper.-repainted.jpg  

Old 18th August 2010, 18:23   #11
Senior - BHPian

Update: Customer relationship manager told me yesterday that they have received approval but the part is not in stock. I can take the vehicle and they will inform once part arrives. I refused the offer saying that I am not in any kind of hurry and will pick up once everything is fixed.

Today I called up again and he said that part was ordered yesterday.
Somehow I do not want to pick the vehicle before they fix everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
Damn! the ppl at dealerships are getting more and more careless by the day!

btw did you get any of the parts painted?

the two parts I highlighted below have clearly been repainted!
Good catch sohail, Yes it is repainted a motorcycle scrapped my bumper in November when I was waiting on red-light. That moron was coming at full speed and tried squeezing past me. So it pains even more to see bumper damage.

BTW : How to find if the part is repainted.
Old 24th August 2010, 09:10   #12
Senior - BHPian

Issue resolved , Got a new bumper , I insisted to A.S.S that they should do proper primer before painting it they say it is done properly and took 2 days to paint after they procured part.

As Dadu mentioned wraparound spring type pin was the culprit. I will post a detailed picture later. I need to refit my reverse sensors and camera again T.A.S.S people said they don't have drill bit of the correct size and I can get it done from the accessories people at the TML showroom.
As I got it installed aftermarket will get the refitting done by a FNG.

By the way bumper of my safari seems to be jinxed just after I took delivery on the way back to my home, Felt a jolt looked back a motorcycle decided to rest it's tyre against bumper near to silk board junction. Luckily no damage caused.
Old 24th August 2010, 10:34   #13
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Thats great news. Finally you got the replacement. I think with tata's their customer care listens to customer gravences and there is resolutions. Lots of examples are there in our fourm itself.

Any how congrats.

v&v
Old 24th August 2010, 11:16   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Thats great news. Finally you got the replacement. I think with tata's their customer care listens to customer gravences and there is resolutions. Lots of examples are there in our fourm itself.

Any how congrats.

v&v
Do they behave the same way if it is a Fiat or a lesser Tata vehicle, say an Indica? If yes, that just might start tilting the scale in their favour.
Old 24th August 2010, 17:33   #15
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeDrive View Post
Do they behave the same way if it is a Fiat or a lesser Tata vehicle, say an Indica? If yes, that just might start tilting the scale in their favour.
SafeDrive, Cant say about Fiat but I always owned a tata car since 2000. Whether its indica or Indigo i had got decent resolution from there R.O Customer support, in case if any issues with local A.S.S.

The latest was for my safari when on its second service, they replace the diesel fuel filter without my consent. On complaint with RO, i got the refund for the same from the A.S.S.

v&v

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks